Gas cooking /Fire extinguishers

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 23:02
ThreadID: 7523 Views:2313 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
caution about cooking in your annex as we found out yesterday,
boiling water we had a gas leek and set the camper trailer up in flames, side panell roof & annex. It took me 5.3 seconds (better than olympics) to run 100m to car ,get fire extinguisher and try to put it out. Just a property loss & a few days of holidays to sort out the mess and make other plans for the next fortnight, but it could have been soooooo much worse ......loss of life (kids) major bush fire as everything is so dry at present..... not worth expanding on!!!!!!

We WONT be cooking in the annex any more cause you never know

were going to cook out side from now on and have fuel stored away from living 1/4s
yes we have insurance but i thought others might like to be warned, pps I have intencealy not mentioned brand names of products & companies.
Also 2 fire extinguishers & fire blanket will replace the 1 i had.
Happy camping to all of you.Have 4WD will Explore
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TonyY - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 08:29

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 08:29
Curious to know (without brand names of course!), what was the cause of the gas leak? Was it faulty equipment or a loose connection?
AnswerID: 32456

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 23:21

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 23:21
The stove was 10 months old and the conections were tight, there must have been a hole in the hose , haven't herd from the fire assesor report yet.Have 4WD will Explore
FollowupID: 24452

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 09:35

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 09:35
Sorry to hear about your accident and loss, Rox. These things happen.
I can remember a similar incident with a gasbottle. Ir was outside however. I just kicked the gasbottle and burner out of the way and then applied the fire extinguisher. Lucky.....

Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 32463

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 10:48

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 10:48
Hi Rox,

Sorry to hear about your accident but glad no one was hurt. When we bought our new camper, I insisted on mounting a fire extinguisher on the side of the kitchen unit about 20cm from where our stove sits. Basically stole the idea from freinds because it seemed like a smart thing to do. Now having heard of your accident I'm bloody glad to have it. Mind you, I better get my finger out and get one for the car.

:o) Melissa

PS: Any hassles getting your claim approved by the insurance co?Petrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 32473

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 23:25

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 23:25
Hi Melissa, Had it insured with Western QBE clam reported tuesday, phone call to aprove the clam was 9 days later(thursday)
Had to get 2 quotes & show assesors as well. Will take 3 weeks or so to fix camper as he is very busy at present.Have 4WD will Explore
FollowupID: 24453

Reply By: bruce - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 11:04

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 11:04
Rox.. a much easier way is to check your gas conections with very soapy water before you light up...adding a little glycerine makes it stick a bit better..that is if you have glycerine of course....any leaks will easilly show up with bubbles...sorry to hear of your accident though...another point...the fire extinguisher....really should be nearby...cheers
AnswerID: 32474

Follow Up By: Member- Rox - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 23:28

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 23:28
Bruce can you honestly tell me that you check yours EVERY time with soapy water every time you turn it on????
We were camped for 2 days in this spot and with out moving the cooker it ignighted a hole i supose in the hose on thew 3rd morning.Have 4WD will Explore
FollowupID: 24454

Follow Up By: bruce - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 08:46

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 08:46
No Rox I cannot tell you that I check my fittings every time ..but being an ex gas fitter I do know that these things do not just happen..something causes it to happen..be what it may ..a stripped thread , a worn hose , a loose connection...whatever
FollowupID: 24468

Reply By: Member - Mal - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 12:23

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 12:23
Melissa,

I think it pays to have the fire extinguisher further away from the likely source of fire. If something goes up on the stove and you have to unclip a fire extinguisher 20 cm from the flames you could get burnt. The way to position a fire extinguisher is to work out where you would go if a fire started and, place it there. Probably at least 2 metres from the stove or at the exit of a camper or caravan in case of a fire inside.

Just my thoughts.

Mal T.
AnswerID: 32478

Follow Up By: Rhubarb - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 14:12

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 14:12
Good advice. No point being in the fire to get to the fire extinguisher. This is why buildings equiped with extinguiher's have them located at entry/exit points.

So you can get the hell out of there, think about the situation and if safe then go back to fight the fire.
FollowupID: 23215

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 15:56

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 15:56
Hi Mat,

You made a good point. Actually the extinguisher is right near the entry/exit point of the camper, as well as being easily accessible if there was a fire within the general perimeter of our camp. We considered all this when we placed it there. Never thought of it being too close to the stove if that was the source of the fire though. Might have to rethink it dammit!

I can very easily move the stove (its not fixed) so that it is then about 80cm away but problem is trying to keep both extinguisher and stove out of reach of little, inquisitive fingers!!!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
FollowupID: 23222

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 15:56

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 15:56
Hi Mal,

You made a good point. Actually the extinguisher is right near the entry/exit point of the camper, as well as being easily accessible if there was a fire within the general perimeter of our camp. We considered all this when we placed it there. Never thought of it being too close to the stove if that was the source of the fire though. Might have to rethink it dammit!

I can very easily move the stove (its not fixed) so that it is then about 80cm away but problem is trying to keep both extinguisher and stove out of reach of little, inquisitive fingers!!!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
FollowupID: 23223

Sponsored Links