colour negs to CD digital.. tips me to you

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 16:02
ThreadID: 75256 Views:4165 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks.

There has to be some equally ignorant to the changes and advances made in photography.

We recently had to euthenase our last remaining dog, a friend for 15 years. We took lots of digital pics and videos before the event but "what did she look like as a puppy ?"

Found lots of old colour 35mm negatives (am I the only hoarder in Oz ?). Viewing them at home was a problem and Camera House no longer had an opaque counter viewer. Store assistant suggested that we transfer roll of film of 36 negs to a CD for $9.95. From there on we were able to use the instore machines crop enhance etc etc and have digital prints made.

The maintained quality of colour neg to digital CD was amazing. I don't know how many megapixel equivalents the old emulsion was carrying but we are enlarging (cropping) down to almost single hairs before resolution starts to seriously pixelate.

Just a thought for the other slightly computer literate We will do several more rolls as finances allow... those negs are our history !

Regards
Benny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 16:11

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 16:11
Are they negatives as you say or colour positives as like slides.

I have a scanner the will do positives but I dont think it does negs

Have 500 40year old slides to do so will take a while as they are a bit dirty and scruffy as well

Lots of photoshopping I guess
AnswerID: 399739

Follow Up By: bennyzbit - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 17:15

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 17:15
Hi Graham H,

Our "36 negatives" were what you used to get along wth 36 prints for about $15. I would immediately open the packet and look at he prints and cast aside (bin) more than half of the out of focus ones and etc. The negatives were boxed away never to be opened (unless you wanted a reprint of a goodie) by enlarge never looked at again and then the hard copy prints became lost or dog eared.

What we got for our $9.95 was a CD with all of the 36 negatives transposed to a CD. I could look at all 36 in positive (real) colours. I worked on the special ones by cropping and colour enhancing etc and sent of the chosen ones with a click from the instore machine to become 10inch by 8 inch enlargements.

I know that I can scan "real" photographs at home and then manipulate the image and then save it on a media storage device into Camera house and have it printed Unfortunately I have not hoarded many years of slides many of my erly year history has been discarded AND so I didn't ask the questions about slides being digitised and printed onto paper.

Just as an aside... we will be going on a trip to Vancouver up through the Rockies and back in May folowed by a cruise up to Alaska and then home. Our "Sony" $600 happy snap camera is now 4 years old and can hold about 60 pictures shot at its best 5megp setting before you have to download to a media storage disc. Just this morning at Camera House a Panasonic camera with 3 inch screen and capable of storing 2000 pictures at 10 megp to a single 8gb disc. The lad in the store said that 200) pics should get you through the holiday without needing a download. The lad trying to impress. Iam impressed "2000 pics is mega times more than my life history of 60 years worth of saved pics."

Benny
FollowupID: 668713

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 16:42

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 16:42
Benny

Because they are a negative = a true photograph - when they scan them to digital they can capture them at any dpi they like. Of course too much megapixel and each photo would become too large for home computers to handle and the whole film would not even fit on a dual layer DVD.

I assume they choose an appropriate sizing that most people can work with.

Great advice for people out there who still have negatives or photos in hard copy and want to digitize them. I have done lots of my own.

Currently have a project of digitizing hours (if not days) of super 8 video onto hard drive and then editing it into a presentable format. Working with very old projectors is a bit of a hassle.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 399745

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 07:20

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 07:20
"Currently have a project of digitizing hours (if not days) of super 8 video onto hard drive and then editing it into a presentable format. Working with very old projectors is a bit of a hassle. "

G'day David,
What process are you using for your super 8 and what is the completed quality like? I have some I would like to convert.
Rod
FollowupID: 668778

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:38

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 13:38
Hi Rod

It is not very special. Just set up your old super 8 and project onto the screen and get your digital camera on a tripod and capture. It is the only way I know how to do it.

The quality is only as good as your old projector and film can provide. Of course after it is digital you can enhance light levels, take out grainy effect, change colour settings - all depending on what software you are using. I work on a Mac with mac software.

There is a professional service around perth that does it. They probably do the same process but in a more sterile environment.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 668845

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 16:47

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 16:47
Hi Benny,

I have a Cannon USB scanner Model CanoScan D1250 U2F which scans slides as well as every thing else. It does a very good job of scanning slides and maybe Canon still have a simi;ar model currently available.

They have a light in their lid which shines through the slide so the scanner can read it. Brilliant.

This may be of some help.

Regards, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 399746

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 17:48

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 17:48
Hmm someone as old as me..
My scanner is a Primeview 1800 dedicated slide scanner,

With reference to 200 shots being enough in Vancouver.

And what about the second day on.

You will take hundreds there it has beautiful scenery and very clear light.

Lots of moviies are shot in BC because of that alone..

Great view from Grouse Mountain Gondola ride The big one holds 100 people

Try going to Alberta

Magnificent country huge mountains that have been uplifted like the western escarpments in WA giving glimpses of the layers of rock.

The Banff village and hotel are also great

Lake Louise has to be seen. Went there in a foot of snow Marvelous

Vancouver Island and the miniature village display where you get off the Twassen ferry is great as well.

In our years trip so far we have taken about 6000 photos

Will take another year to edit them LOL

AnswerID: 399753

Follow Up By: bennyzbit - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:08

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:08
Hi Graham,

Sorry I had meant to type 2000 not 200). 2000 is what the 8 gb card can hold. and on the whistle stop rail up the Rockies bus down 2000 will surely suffice vancouver to vancouver then Alaska cruise. I don't think I have taken 2000 shots in 60 years never mind in 3 weeks

The price of an 8 gb card was only $68 so a back up card seem like goog insurance.

Now tell me how lucky was this ? The road tour stops for 2 days at the Fairmont Chateau in Whistler. The "private" highlight dinner our the tour is at this hotel and it coincides with the 25th Wwedding anniversary day so I won't even have to cough up for taking SWIMBO out.

Just caught your Member Profile pic and tag. Next Sunday we will be in Dunedin 2 days on the Alpaca Farm overlooking Dunedin before moving onto Lanarch Castle for the only night Australia Day) I could get for accommodation and dinner in their banqueting hall to mill stone SWIMBO's 60th birthday. This will be followed by an 8 day self drive sampler look at the SW of South Island. By the end I should have half mastered the new camera.

This retirement is hard work.

Regards
Benny

FollowupID: 668807

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:25

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:25
Alpaca Farm Wheres that wasnt there when I left in 2002.

Larnachs castle is great as long as its fine and you can see the view.

If you want spectacular views go over the Crown Range road between Wanaka and queenstown.

All the fun has gone now its sealed Worked at Wanaka for 4 years and we used to shoot across on the gravel in a bit over an hour.

I also lived in Milford Sound for 5 years working on the Milford Track

Best place in the world Canada is nearly as good.

Cheers
FollowupID: 668812

Follow Up By: bennyzbit - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:25

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:25
Hi Graham,

the alpaca farm is Estalo Alpacas Farm Stay, 42 Dalziel Road,
Dunedin. We appear to have the several bedroomed house shown in their promo picture at www.stonebarn.co.nz. Their site also has a video. With SWIMBO having just lost her doting dog it will be an relief for her to stroke something again.

The castle stay has been amusing already. As aid I got the last room, and only for 1 night so choice was not a part of things. The rooms are heavily stylised. We got the gold rush room and the bed is in a cart. The room is shown on the Lanarch Castle web site. SWIMBO has lready been asked, does the cart come with harnesses ? is it BYO whip or can it be hired, and our doctor caused her to blush when he said "wasn't that the room that Tiger Wood used in the NZ open. I have no idea how the person sleeping on the right side of the bed gets in or who the seat is meant to accomodate... maybe a video cameraman

Our route after the castle in Invercargill 1 night at the manor house, 2 nights at TeAnau on a deer farm, 2 nights just outside Queenstown on a working farm, 2 nights in Twizel followed by the last night at Dunedin again, this time at Blackhead Cottage. This is new venue and worth a look . I did all of these booking on the net and feel quite proud of my achievments but the www thing for NZ tourism things is magically developed and interactive with availability enquiries.

I just had a look at the map. After Queenstown we can head for Wanaka and then back track to the Comwell to Twizel road if you think that that is the picturesque route.

Kind Regards
Benny
FollowupID: 668825

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:29

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:29
Give me a mail at graham-h@iinet.net.au We will get done for chit cat on here

Cheers

FollowupID: 668826

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 17:57

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 17:57
Just bought a Fission File Strip Scanner (does colour or monochrome film and mounted slides) on special from Aldi for $99. As I have hundreds of slides in boxes and probably thousands of negatives from years past it is worth having a machine to convert to digital. Have done about 25 slides so far and works well.
Also comes with good editing software Arcsoft photo Impression 6. But still learning its full capabilities.
Cheers
AnswerID: 399755

Reply By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 00:04

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 00:04
Benny

There is a lot of great stuff in old pictures, slides and negatives that needs to be preserved and copies passed on to family, friends and others. You have pointed out a very economical way of converting slides. A lot cheaper than last I looked at commercial scanning.

I have done conversions at home both from positives and negatives using an Epson V700 photo scanner. To do it properly with old material can be an awful lot of work and involves adjusting the settings for each slide or negative. An automated conversion can also be done and may work well on good originals. I was not happy with the results when I tried it in auto settings. Very likely Camera House have a few "tricks of the trade". To do good scans at that price is truly remarkable.

In my experience older slides are far from good and are often mould damaged. Time and less then ideal storage takes a toll. Often our really precious slides need a bit of restoration. A professional or serious amateur may be able to produce excellent results from a less than ideal image. Cracks, missing bits and fading and other problems are just challenges to be overcome.

A couple of years ago I spent a lot of time on a Vietnam veteran's slides that were mould damaged. It took a lot of Photoshop cleaning up but the results were well worth while. May be of interest to veterans from 6 RAR or 2 RAR South Vietnam 1967.

A downscaled crop.

Image Could Not Be Found

Images like this need to be preserved. Scanning and passing on copies is one way.

Flynnie
AnswerID: 399802

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:35

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:35
Yes that price is remarkable as when I asked how much to get my 400 done they said probably over $1000 as a lot were fairly dirty,

Not surprising considering they had been carted around NZ and AU in a back pack and carted up the Milford Track each season on packhorses.

Even more remarkable is the old Eikislide manual projector that is 46 years old and despite similar treatment has been on the same bulb for over 40 years

I bought a Primeview scanner and found that it can take a couple of hours to clean up a really bad slide with Photoshop.

In my ignorance early on I was saving them as Jpegs, working on them and saving again and wondering why they got really crappy.

No, my computer geek daughter said Tiffs or Gifs only Oh damn had done 150 by this time

Start allover again LOL

FollowupID: 668814

Reply By: bennyzbit - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:18

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 11:18
Thanks to all who replied. I think I got more out of it (your tips to me) than I gave "tip me to you." I had meant 35mm colour negatives that Camera House digitised for me and that is what made identifying the puppy shots so very difficult. I do not have any historic 35mm slides so I didn't ask the question if they (CH) could also digitise these or how much.

The chopper scene from Vietnam was special thank you for sharing that. It dates from the same period as some of my "never to be re-opened" 35mm colour negative hoardings,

However I think I will stick to Camera House and their service. By the time I master yet another computer gizzmo I would be watching the results from underground.

Regards
Benny
AnswerID: 399840

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:59

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 12:59
I purchased on line a cheap negative and slide scanner a couple of years ago, but haven't had time to even open the box so i can't say about what quality the results will be. I want to get photos of the children when little as well as photos and slides of some of our earlier holidays onto computer.

Deals Direct having something similar at a lot less than i paid for mine

Negative film and slide scanner

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 399849

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 02:54

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 02:54
Hi MH,

Don't leave them to long. Have nearly finished copying all mine and some of the older ones [30 years plus] were just about non restoreable.
It has taken quite a while to copy all the slides.
See if you can get hold of a copy of ADSee Pro 3. Once you work it out I found it a lot easier to use. On of the advantages is that when you open a file all the photos are laid out as a thumbnail.
But that is me.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 669017

Sponsored Links