More Waeco Problems

I thought I had fixed my Waeco problems.

I replaced the original cigarette plug with a hella socket and it worked fine initially.

However I left the fridge on the battery for 18 hours and when the battery hit 12.3v the fridge cut out. (It was set to low which I understand has a 10.5v cut out).

The reason I'm reluctant to take it in for repairs is that:

1. The repairer threatened me that if I bought the fridge in for a warranty claim and it was the battery then I would have to pay for to validate the claim (fair enough)

2. Then he said that just because the battery shows 12v or more doesn't mean it will run a fridge.

3. He then said if I do bring it in it will take a month of sundays to repairs.

I'm no expert but when I switched to emergency it dropped the fridge down to -9 so I imagine the battery is strong enough to run the compressor. I think the problem is inside the fridge because it would not run on the cranking battery either.

Is there some other way of checking the condition of the battery with a multimeter, before I finally take it in for a warranty claim and hope not to be ripped off.

Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 21:08

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 21:08
Hi Geoff, sorry to hear of your continuing problems... I remember your previous post.

I wouldn't have a clue regarding what might be the cause of the problem, but there was a link to an article re checking batteries on here a little while ago. I had a look, very good info, and I think it tells you how to check the battery with a multimeter.

Try here.
Battery Info

Hope this is of some help,

Dave

AnswerID: 399927

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 21:53

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 21:53
Hi Geof

You should check the battery & connections under load [fridge on] with multi meter check @ battery terminals .Then, if ok say above 12v, progressively check across pos & neg back to fridge terminals.
If volts suddenly drop then the problem lies between that point & the previous test point.
The test must be done with a load on the battery
FollowupID: 668989

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 21:55

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 21:55
When we had a problem with our 40lt Waeco I asked for advice here on the forum

Well.................so many bright ideas, in depth knowledge and miscelleaneous answers. I even replaced the battery of the Xtrail under guidance only to find out I needn't have.

In the end I took the Waeco to the authorised repairer for this area ...a cool 220km round trip and after a second go at it, he got it right. It was a Waeco fault and it cost nothing under a warranty claim. Even if your fridge is out of warranty a warranty claim may be valid as Waeco were supplied with faulty parts (that's what they told me) for a range of models

Now its running fine and has been for the past 2 years.

My Engel in the Patrol just keeps purring along.........LOL

Cheers
AnswerID: 399934

Follow Up By: Carlin - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 09:01

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 09:01
Where was that repairman?
FollowupID: 669039

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 22:21

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 22:21
Geoff

With my numerous problems over the years I have found that if it runs OK on 240V, then it was 12V power supply to your fridge.

Check that at home and if it runs well, look towards your vehicle battery, wiring, cigarette lighter connection.

Mark
AnswerID: 399942

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 22:29

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 22:29
Buy an Engel
AnswerID: 399944

Follow Up By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:15

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:15
I am not sure how that comment will help much.
FollowupID: 669217

Follow Up By: WRVA - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 00:09

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 00:09
Rambler,
I pointed out how people are Ford or Holden and how such a tribial thing like that can cause so much conflict. I said put a smile on ya dial there is enough problems in the World and here in the Best County ( was) in the World with smiley face other words a joke . I have always fully understood how the fools in this world create wars over such minor things. My Son just lost two mates in Afghanistan if ya fridge works great ,if it doesn't that's y you have a 5 year warranty.
have a safe year. -:)
HAPPY WANDERING!
FollowupID: 669256

Follow Up By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 00:38

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 00:38
WRVA,
I appreciate your reply and hope we can catch up for a beer some day(out of the
Engel of course).You are right when you say we should all be enjoying what we have here as there seems to be endless troubles and suffering in other parts of the world.
FollowupID: 669258

Follow Up By: WRVA - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 22:20

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 22:20
Rambler,
I am pleased this has been sorted ,but I will bring my Waeco ok .
Before going to England I rode Speedway solos in WA bloody nice place mate.

keep the blackstuff or sand under ya wheels all the time.

Cheers -:)
FollowupID: 669374

Follow Up By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 22:46

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 22:46
WRVA
I do a trip over the top every year for 3-4 months so we might catch up on our travels .If you are ever in Perth give me a call.
FollowupID: 669382

Follow Up By: WRVA - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:19

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:19
Rambler,
as in my younger days , that would be cool man, greatly appreciated. We can sit on your Engel and get the cold ones out of my waeco ok . ( JOKE MATE) couldn't handle any more .

I rode the 3 tracks
Any way
Cheers.
Steve
can I send you a message ? won't bother you
FollowupID: 669438

Reply By: WRVA - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 23:12

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 23:12
G,day. I don't have time to sit and read, if you like send me your Model and size ? where purchased and date, vehicle cig wiring size ? current problem ?

Waeco always comes up trumps over the other brands plus the Military tested the CF-40 AC good enough for them bloody perfect for you.

I will be happy to assist if I can.
Happy Wandering !
AnswerID: 399949

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 09:08

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 09:08
"Waeco always comes up trumps over the other brands ..... "

Please explain?

FollowupID: 669041

Follow Up By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:39

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:39
WRVA

The Military also drive Land Rovers???????

Say no more

FollowupID: 669116

Follow Up By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 22:04

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 22:04
Thanks INGO57----It is amazing how three words in my post can upset a grown man(WRVA).Maybe he has an Engel complex.
FollowupID: 669230

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 07:36

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 07:36
Geoff

Not sure if you remember my waeco details we spoke about? Using a battery meter supplied by Derek mine cuts out as soon as it goes below 12.4. In my case with my meter that was 12.39. So I had it switching from on to error back and forth from 12.4 to 12.39 etc until i started the engine and of course all fine again until same scenario arose a short time later.

I believe I either have:

1. low voltage at fridge (10.5) but battery is still at 12.39 when it cuts out - so will replace cable to see what happens; or

2. I do remember someone on here saying to upsize the cable from battery to fridge "power point" and then also cutting the waeco supplied cable about 4 inches from end that plugs into the fridge and then extending it with upsized cable and anderson plug. I remember that fixed others problems; or

3. internal fault within fridge. Some on here and elsewhere have mentioned about internal fuse problems so may need to check that.

I havent got time now to do it but hope to try these things soon. I will be interested to see how things are with any remedy you do. I might move battery meter back to my fridge point and see what I get there.

Where in QLD are you? My BIL took his in while on holidays on Gold Coast and Waeco fixed his overnight (he told them he was only there on hols overnight) and fixed under warranty for free even though it was out of warranty. I cant remember what they said was wrong woth it - will try find out. I would consider taking it in like that if I lived there or was close enough to go there - never know they may help out. Bit far from Sydney.

Cheers Mick

AnswerID: 399961

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 08:38

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 08:38
Geoff,

Could be a fridge problem, but to me sounds very like voltage loss in the wiring. This loss is dependent on the current (amps) being drawn by the fridge and the resistance between battery and fridge. Resistance depends on cable size, cable length and any connectors, including the battery terminals. It's often overlooked that the starting current of any electric motor is far higher than the running current, hence voltage losses are higher during starting. It can be hard to get a measurement during this brief interval since a digital meter samples only a few times per second.

If you measure battery voltage at the battery you will not see the actual voltage reaching the fridge. An old trick to measure the voltage in low voltage a cable is to push small pins (dressmakers' pins) through each wire close to the fridge to give you an electrical connection for the meter without permanently destroying the cable. When finished, pull pins out, knead holes shut.

Suggest try running the fridge connected directly to the battery - remove the Hela plug and connect the wires of the Waeco cable directly to the battery terminals being VERY careful to get them the right way round. Clearly mark the positive lead before removing the plug. (I'd then tie a knot in it so it can't be mistaken.) If it isn't performing properly now, and the battery voltage is holding up, it really does have to be a fridge problem.

To answer your question, how to check the battery : My approach is to fully charge the battery, then connect a known load such as a 20 watt light and measure battery voltage periodically as the battery is discharged. A 20W lamp draws a pretty constant current of about 1.8 amps. Find the number of hours it takes for the battery to get down to 11.5 volts. (That's a good stopping point that doesn't discharge the battery too far.) You then know the amps and the hours - multiply them together to get the amphours delivered by the battery to a safe endpoint. The battery should deliver at least half it's rated capacity with this test. If it's much less then you may well have a battery problem. There is no reliable way to determine battery condition without loading it.

(A final note to forestall an argument about ohms law - incandescent lamps draw pretty constant current over quite a wide voltage range. As the voltage drops their filament temperature and consequently resistance drops at about the same rate, hence (roughly) constant current.)

HTH

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 399964

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:20

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:20
Thanks for the dressmakers pins idea. I usually just push the tips of my probes through the insulation but they often slip and I get a hole in my finger instead!

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 669072

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 09:11

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 09:11
I had a same problem with a Waeco fridge in a caravan. I was checking the voltage at the battery which was OK. Then I checked the voltage at the fridge and found I had 2.1 volts less at startup. Checked the caravan wiring and it was 3mm whereas Waeco advise 6mm minimum. I needed more than 12.6 at the battery to start the Waeco. Got wiring replaced with 8mm and no volt drop at all. Caravan manufacturer would not pay but the dealer did.

Bottom line check voltage at the fridge on startup. I think you will be surprised.

Neil
AnswerID: 399968

Follow Up By: chisel - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:14

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 10:14
Yes, important to check voltage AT (or close to) FRIDGE ... when compressor is attempting to start.
FollowupID: 669051

Reply By: WRVA - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:35

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:35
I asked if you wanted to contact me I am going to the Factory today.

Don't waste ya time call 1800 21 21 21 Fax 07- 5507 6001

I can't say any more .

Happy Wandering !

When we go out a few miles of shore I always take one Engel 30lt , you can't do better than have backup anchor.

( It's like Ford and Holden) PUT A SMILE ON YA DIAL. Don't you see the news Murders, etc every day our Country is going down hill. Just say G,day Smille tomorrow you could be gone and a family member might be stuck with all your stuff. Hope they don't get ya Engel (poor buggers) -:)
AnswerID: 399985

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:15

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:15
Thanks WRVA,

Unfortunately I'm not at home at the moment so only know that it's a CF50 purchased a couple of months ago.

Works great at home on 240v.

Works great on emergency mode. (well frozen after 1/2 hour)

There is plenty of power getting to the compressor except when it runs through the voltage cutout part.

The cord shows the same voltage at the battery and at the end of the cord.

Maybe I'll just make the trip to the Gold Coast.

Regards
Geoff
FollowupID: 669068

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:25

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:25
Make sure you check the voltage at the fridge end when ithe compressor is running (emergency mode is fine).

When it is drawing amps it will show up any resistance problems in the cabling which may show a dramatic difference to the tested voltage when the cable is not under load.

Regards

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 669074

Reply By: Member - Trackker (QLD) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:03

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:03
Geoff, I have had the same problem (one of many) along with other people I know and found it by checking voltage along the power lead all the way back to the compressor as the replies above state. In regards to your repairer, just give Waeco a call and tell them about your problem and response and ask if there is another repairer. Complaints will go back to the service manager. Dont forget to give them your serial number as a reference. Waeco's warranty starts at the plug. Dave

PS , god help the military
AnswerID: 400001

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:18

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:18
Thanks Trackker,

The ogininal plug was part of the problem but that now carries the power to the compressor ok.

I'll just have to travel to the Gold Coast to hopefully get some after sales service.

Regards
Geoff
FollowupID: 669069

Reply By: greybeard - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 14:26

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 14:26
until you can eliminate voltage drop by measure the voltage at the fridge under load we're all going to be struggling to assist.
the reason everyone keeps harping on this point is that in the vast majority of cases voltage drop is the problem.

when you run the fridge in emergency mode the low voltage drop out is not active. so whilst we can deduce that the compressor works and that there is some power reaching the fridge, we can't eliminate the issue of voltage drop.
measuring the voltage at the battery is a good first step, but once you have determined that the battery is ok it doesn't assist in the next step of fault finding.

it may be that there isn't any voltage drop in the rest of the cabling to the fridge, but unless the possibility is eliminated, and you have concerns about returning your fridge to waeco i'm at a loss as to how else to assist.
AnswerID: 400014

Sponsored Links