Solar Panel Slide

Hey

Anyone got any pictures of a slide they have made? I am thinking about putting the panel under my roof rack and then sliding it out towards the bonnet when I stop somewhere and then locking it back into place?

Can't be that hard to make can it?

Any ideas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Scoot (SA) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:17

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:17
That is great idea can't wait to see if anyone has done this yet.
AnswerID: 400023

Reply By: Karen & Geoff - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:39

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:39
Hi Troll, we dont have one of the slide thingy's, but Geoff has just mounted a solar panel above our canopy inbetween the roof racks, which we had custom made and measured for the solar panel when we were setting our new 70 series ute up for the big lap around Oz. He has recessed it down abit, so if we do happen to put something ont he roof racks it will not touch the solar panel.
Geoff has wired it up so it keep the aux battery topped up and whats left will goback into the van while towing.
AnswerID: 400028

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:57

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:57
Troll,

We slide ours out of the custom rack to the side. I fitted poly runners to the panel and C channel to the rack. See it here.

This isn't what you're after but might give some ideas.

We now carry 2 panels, the lower one as shown in the picture, with another one slid in on top of it. The top one is always exposed to the sun and makes a very useful contribution. We slide both out and stand them on the ground when stopped for a few days. The idea of sliding one forward is very good - not only pick up electricity, but create shade too. Performance won't be ideal because it won't be looking directly at the sun, but being continuously exposed should probably compensate.

I couldn't figure a way to both slide out of the side of the rack, and slide forward. Will be very interested in other's ideas on this one.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 400031

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 16:39

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 16:39
Looks good John

Give me some ideas to think about....might make a trip down to Bunnings and see what I can find there
FollowupID: 669135

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 18:38

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 18:38
Troll,

For options on drawer runner type mountings, suggest Google "drawer slide full extension". The sort of thing used for fridge slides should do the job.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 669172

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:13

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:13
Thanks John I did that and found some good options.
FollowupID: 669286

Reply By: Boobook2 - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 16:05

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 16:05
Mainey has a nice set up for something similar.
AnswerID: 400034

Sponsored Links