Yorke Peninsula

Submitted: Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 20:45
ThreadID: 75313 Views:6144 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Looking f r some free Camping areas (or caravan sites if necessary) on the Yorke Peninsular in 3 weeks.
Would prefer a beach type of place with 4WD access.
Any ideas?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DIO - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:06

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:06
Don't fancy your chances with much beach driving however if you head off into Innes National Park you will find some sandy tracks. As for accomodation check these links:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
Good luck with whatever you choose. You might be lucky with some great weather.
AnswerID: 400080

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 22:52

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 22:52
You ned to get out more DIO, and do some exploring
FollowupID: 669246

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:19

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:19
There are places where you can camp on the western side of the peninsula, close to the beach. These are run by the local council (District Council of the Yorke Peninsula). The Gap (for example) is one such location, which is located between Port Hughes and Balgowan.

If you camp there (or other similar places....there's about 12 of these camp sites along the coast), then you will need to pay the local ranger IF he comes around to collect the cash. We have camped at at least one of these places and have not had a visit, so it has been free. Many of these places have a toilet of some description.

If you are self sufficient, then you could camp on the beach about 4klm north of Tiddy Widdy (east coast of the YP). This sin't a recognised camp ground and the sand can be quite soft in there, so you need to know how to cope with sand (ie: low tyre pressures etc).

There is a nice camping area along the southern coast, 11 klms west of Edithburgh....right underneath one of the 55 huge turbines in the wind farm. No facilities there though.

There is also a camping gound at Port Julia, south of Ardrossan, but it is one of those where you need to pay the ranger if/when he turns up. These fees are only about $6- or so last time we camped there several years ago.

You can stay free overnight in Maitland (near football oval), but be aware there has been known to be some issues with the locals being less than ideal (if you get my drift). A better overnight alternative would be the Arthurton overnighter, just behind the church. Both of these latter places are really just for putting your head down in your camper or caravan overnight.....not a tourist destination.

If you need any other info when you're around here, feel free to contact me (I'm in Kadina), on 0414 890 148

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 400085

Reply By: Member - Scoey4 (SA) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:57

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:57
Try Tipparra Rocks or The Bamboos - both near The Gap as suggested by Roachie. Another spot is Wauraltee Beach - camping areas but no facilities - can drive down onto the beach.

Cheers.

SCOEY4
AnswerID: 400096

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 22:50

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 22:50
I could tell you were to go as I have recently written an article on this subject but I am not allowed to make reference to my website on this Forum as it would be deemed as Self Promotion

However there are places along the west coast of the Yorke Peninsula which have free camping. Just follow your nose south of Wallaroo

AnswerID: 400106

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 14:39

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 14:39
Willem,
Could you email me your Website

Thanks

PeterinSa@yahoo.com.au
FollowupID: 669321

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 14:48

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 14:48
Peter,

Just open Willem's member profile and all will be revealed ;)

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 669324

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 15:43

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 15:43
Willem, you are confused. You have been told not to start posts purely to self-promote content on your website. However, you are more than welcome to REPLY to posts where people are asking for info and you have that info on your site.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 669332

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 19:48

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 19:48
Yerr...confusion will always reign when the lines are not clear cut.

Whether I start a post or include a website link..... it has the same effect.

As much as I hate Americanisms I have to say..........Go figure......

But thanks for the clarification...I shall attempt to stay within the guidelines :-)

Cheers
FollowupID: 669348

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 22:57

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 22:57
it was a few years ago bt free camping used to be had at Formby bay and gym beach
AnswerID: 400107

Reply By: dbish - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 23:41

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 23:41
Plenty of places to camp around here but the local council want there cut these days, local Dog catcher patrols around & collecs the money. Daryl
AnswerID: 400114

Reply By: bennyzbit - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 18:51

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 18:51
You didn't say when so I have to tell you to BEWARE of February and some of March. You could get caught up in them !!!

Your inquiry re YP reminds me of the funniest thing that has been said to me re caravaning stays. We were new to the game and had intended to stay at Port Wakefield but we were running well ahead of time.... gave Ardrossan CP a call.

Do you have a powered site tonight and tomorrow or tomorrow and the next night ? Deathly silence.
Hello, you still here ? Have I said something wrong ?
Yes, Tonight & Tomorrow. I have got crabs.
I replied that I didn't need to know that as we hadn't even kissed yet.

But what he said was right. We had all sorts of problems finding places even free ones February and into March on the east coast of YP because of the blue swimmer crab with associated people madness. People come from all over OZ to catch the little buggers by the hundreds of thousands. Also don't forget to mark the Adelaide Long Weekend for the Adelaide Cup races. YP just fills up.

Regards Benny
AnswerID: 400213

Reply By: Member - Bushpig - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:20

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 20:20
Wejust spent 3eeks at Sturt Bay and Foul Bay. Right on the water but occasionaly trong south winds blow a bit hard. Other than that great.
Cheers Jack
AnswerID: 400370

Sponsored Links