Tele communications have come a long way!

Remember the old exchanges?,,, Ring and then have the number you want dialed by some old bird, who would then quote, "Putting you through now",,, only to follow up a minute later, "Are you,Getting Through now"?

Listening all the way!!,,LOL, No privacy in those days, the valley we lived in had a couple of MRS' Mangles" that distributed news that didn't concern them in a flash for milesl ,,LOL, Then Maybe things haven't changed all that much at times??

Cheers Axle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Haza - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:44

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:44
Wasn't around in those days but working in the industry for the past 15 years its a complete pain in the ass, first mobile phones then internet then paytv then cable modems and satilite services then came digital mobile phones and cdma and then comes along 3G networks with tv on your phone. Wish I'd become a electrician instead.
AnswerID: 400092

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:46

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 21:46
HAhahahahaha!!, Can see your point...lol

Axle
FollowupID: 669227

Reply By: westskip - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 22:31

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 22:31
Hi Axle

I went to Wyndham in 1963 to work and we had the same system except that it only worked within the townsite. No connection even to Kununurra.Apart from town calls everything was done by telegrams.

And we also had 32v power in town. Normal appliances wouldn't work at all unless comverted.

John
AnswerID: 400102

Follow Up By: Flash32 - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 23:14

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 23:14
Ya gotta love it aye....We were 64U on a party line and if you were on for more than 3 minutes you got the " 3 minutes are you extending" If you were young and got on well with the shiela on the exchange you got a bit of free time on trunk calls.
I remember the Grand nurses quaters phone number in Perth was BA4200
Oh for the good ole times !!!!!!
RodnEls...................yer fifty years ago ole Els was at the Grand.
FollowupID: 669251

Reply By: Simon C - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 00:52

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 00:52
Now that bring back memories......I grew up in a small town in NZ where we had the party line...378S was our number. My Grandparents (who were well known, and some of the pioneers of the area) had a fantastic and exclusive "Private Line - ( (Number 126).

To make a call.....wind the handle 3 times or so, and hope the lady (they were always ladies) were awake in town at the exchange. To make a TOLL call (Equal to our STD call)....you had to book it, and they would ring back when a line was free.

Dam it.......I have 4 e-mails, and 1 MMS from my son who is on a sleep over tonight...... and a message bank call........ALL ON MY MOBILE....!!!!!!!

Then I have some one who wants to be my freind on face book.......

ARH!!!!!!!! send me back to the bush.

Simon C

AnswerID: 400118

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 08:24

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 08:24
And theres always a bill sitting there for some part of it all mate!!

Cheers Axle
FollowupID: 669272

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 07:51

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 07:51
Ah Axle...yer showing yer age....hahahahaha

We had a party line for the farm. Two shorts and two longs if you wanted to ring from another farm. First have to lift receiver and ask "Line busy?"......or you could lift the receiver gently and 'listen in' ...LOL One old lady was a serial pest on te [party line so others got together and set her up. My Dad had to defend her in court but she got a 2000pound fine anyway. Big money for the 1950's!!!

We would ring a number and the operator would say "They're not home!"...lol Phone operators knew everything that happened in a small country town.

Today one has to switch the mobile off as your Telco sends unsolicited messages trying to flog you something :-)

Cheers
AnswerID: 400130

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 08:37

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 08:37
" Serial pests".....LOL,,,It was a problem in our area amongst the vege growers, someone was always getting a higher price for their produce !so it seemed'

Cheers Axle
FollowupID: 669275

Reply By: bruce - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:00

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:00
Hey, hey , settle down with the "old bird " bit...I operated one of those exchanges and I was a young lad of all 15 yrs...worked at night , 10pm to 8am one week then postie the next week...it was a great experience and a good job for a young person...cheers
AnswerID: 400158

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:36

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:36
Yes cut out "they were all girls" bit

I started in an Ericcson manual exchange in 1954 when I was 14 at Mosgiel in NZ

Later it went to a BMSB multiple board.

This was a type where on operator could answer everyone without moving from their seat

Whereas the Ericcsons you could only reach 100 at a time.

On a Sunday if we were on our own we had to run up and down the 5 boards answering them all.

God help us on a wet Sunday.

When all the cords were used we used to go down and pull them all out and start again

The locals knew woops the exchange is flat out and didnt ring back for a while.

Progressed from there to western Electric Toll boards in Christchurch and later in Dunedin

In 1980 they introduced cordless consoles which were slower than the old corded boards.

In 1989 all the work was centralised and all operators in the South Island except CHCH were made redundant.

Thats called progress.

Instead of an operator who could say Oh they're not home, you got operators who didnt even know where the place was you wanted to ring.

Also the Emergency service went to pot.

When it was localised the operators knew the area intimately, now they are 100's of k's away and know nothing.

In Dunedin we had a landslide where 70 houses slipped own a hill.

Panic
The police found out the contacts they had for services like helicopters were all out of date.

Luckily the operators knew the susbs well enough to be able to connect them to the right person.

So newer may be cheaper to run but isnt better sometimes.

AnswerID: 400164

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:56

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:56
My Mum's cousin was one of those phone operators when I was a kid.

Couldn't she gossip about who was saying what!

If you heard her voice on the phone you'd think you where talking to a cross between Jennifer Hawkins, Lara Bingle and Elle McPherson!

The truth was very different, she could have stared down a whole American battle group of Abrams Tanks and probably outweighed the lot of them!!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 400167

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 20:42

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 20:42
Hahahahaha!, I don't have to look to far to find a relo like that either Geoff,

Axle
FollowupID: 669358

Reply By: bgreeni - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 18:29

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 18:29
My parents had a country Post Office at the general store they ran. In the PO was the manual exchange for the local district. All the family took turns at operating the exchange. I slept beside it a couple of nights a week for several years as a teenager.

Our greatest fear was upsetting the "Monitor" who was a PMG employee (To Telstra in those days) who would get on your back if you didn't do the right thing or chatted to the girls in her exchange too much.

I hated the thing, and especially the cattle buyers who would book "Particular person" calls early in the morning to the meat works. It meant hanging on to the meat works while they chased up the person, and then calling back the buyer when they came on line. Often had several calls waiting at the same time as well as putting through other calls.
AnswerID: 400356

Sponsored Links