Mounting tyres

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 18:36
ThreadID: 75336 Views:2345 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Have just mounted a spare for my Mazda Tribute (the spare in the boot is one of those space savers) on my camper next to the camper spare. The tyres are touching each other. Is this okay ? If not, any suggestions for something to keep them apart.
Image Could Not Be Found
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: herkman - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 18:51

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 18:51
Know a little bit about the matter, even though we got rid of our Tribute in 2004.

Tributes are known to have transmision failures if one tows anywhere near 1600 Kgs and I advise you to keep the towed weight down to the minimum.

Mazda in spite of many mods failed to solve the problem (and Ford with the escape) and I believe it was one of the reasons they were taken off the market, Second hand prices indicate that this area was a problem.

Our Tribute failed totally at 26,000 kms only 4000 kms of actually towing 1300KGS.

The Ford CD4E transmission is a dog and the matter had wide scope in the USA.

On to reducing the towing weight.

You can fit the standard wheel in the boot of the car, but you need to move the hold down bolt about an inch. In our case we placed another captive nut in the boot floor and sealed the original bolt and hole with sealant.

We made a new 1/4" plywood floor to go under the carpet but the wheel was placed in the wheel upside down.

When we sold the car we unpluged to oriiginal hole, sealed up the new one and put the space saver back in.

If you go to the tribute forum, you will find lots on the two issues I have raised.

Regards

Col
AnswerID: 400214

Follow Up By: Member - Harry T (WA) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 15:42

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 15:42
Col,

I think you have jinxed me. Engine is starting to make a funny noise when driving like it is in low gear or revving too high. As well had the electric brake controller fitted and now my battery light comes on intermittently. Have gone back to the installer who is confused and thinks it could be the alternator. He also mentioned the engine running noise and transmission issues of Tributes. Has 84k on the clock so maybe I need to start looking for a replacement. We also have a new Subaru Forrester but am not keen to tow a camper with it due to tow weight issues.
FollowupID: 670993

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 21:35

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 21:35
I'd suggest the biggest problem with mounting tyres this close is their age.

Primary age tyres will be quite upset being this close to each other, their biggest fear is catching opposite gender germs.

High School aged tyres will be quite pleased about their intimacy, their biggest concern will be how quickly they can catch opposite gender germs.

Early 20's tyres will have a fear of committment, be prepared to explain to them they are "just friends"

When your tyres reach the 30's they'll be looking forward to "the hum of little tyres" now is the time to tell them it's not all it's cracked up to be.

In the 40's this pair will be keen to be shot of the little tyres. The "hum" has worn very thin.

Now for the 50's, the pair aren't as supple as they used to be. Their compound is getting harder and they quite frankly want to be shot of the little "hums"

In the 60's this pair are heartily fed up with the little "hums" resulting in none to subtle hints relating to sex and travel.

After the 60's the original pair probably can't remember the original question!

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 400250

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 22:57

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 22:57
I think the correct scientific term is 'coodies' not germs
FollowupID: 669386

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 23:03

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 23:03
??

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 669389

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 08:11

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 08:11
Its what the primary kids now call girl germs or boy germs....catch coodies (or cooties something like that). I bet you hear it a lot from now on but its been around for quite a while.
FollowupID: 669411

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 09:55

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 09:55
Gotcha!
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 669421

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 17:25

Wednesday, Jan 20, 2010 at 17:25
They are fine together,, In fact, they look very happy together!!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 400353

Sponsored Links