caravan towing

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 22:58
ThreadID: 75389 Views:3814 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
hello to all travellers,
can anyone help me. can l pull a caravan from Tibooburra to Cameron corner and on to Innaminka then out to Longreach via Eromanga ok. It is a 16' 1100 weight with a Subaru forester? it will be in June - Aug time. many thanks, safe travels, Anton & Mary, Melbourne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 05:54

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 05:54
Anton & Mary
It has been done - but I doubt its been done with a rig like yours. In perfect conditions, yes, you would probably get through and only need minor repairs to the caravan. BUT!!!!!! If the roads haven't been graded, or if there is a drop of rain, I can see major problems. Getting to Cameron Corner will probably be the easy??? bit.Cameron Corner to Innamincka, there are a number of alternatives. Over the Merty Merty roller coaster and on to the Streszlecki Track would probably not be a good choice for you - too sandy. The Bore Track is probably a bit too rugged for you. That leaves the road through Omicron and Epsilon. I can't comment on its recent condition but it wasnt too bad when we did it about 10 years ago. We have been rained in at Innamincka 3 times over the years - always in the winter months. And when they open the roads after rain you can aways expect a fairly wild ride. And at the other end of the spectrum is corrugations - the suspension on standard caravans is not designed to endure the beating that corrugated outback roads give them. While the exterior of the caravan might look ok after 100k of corrugations, the interior will usually have disintegrated. Never travelled East from Innamincka so I can't help you there. BTW, your 1100kg caravan is going to weigh substantially more than that when you load it up. Most people reckon on 3-400 kgs extra when loaded for a van of that size. That puts your total load up to around 14-1500kgs - an awful lot for your Forester to be pulling through kilometre after kilometre of sand or mud.
Personally I would be either leaving the van at home, or looking to go somewhere else. Your Forester would almost assuredly get you through, but adding the caravan to the equation would most likely turn your "holiday" into a "trippus horribilus". What do you do when you and your trusty caravan come over a hill and are confronted by this:Image Could Not Be Found

teege
AnswerID: 400543

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 16:10

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 16:10
Anton & Mary
I just found another pic in my archives which shows what can happen to outback roads with a bit of rain.Image Could Not Be Found

This was not far from Innamincka in 2001. And one of the difficulties is that often there is no way round - either you go through, as was done here, or you go back!!!

teege
FollowupID: 669802

Follow Up By: melbourne magpies - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 23:02

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 23:02
thanks for your valued help & information All taken on board. I have posted a new response to my travel idea, anton & mary, travilin' magpies.
FollowupID: 669874

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 06:17

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 06:17
Anton and Mary,
All what Teege said is spot on. You could end up with a bucket of bolts instead of a caravan. Swag it and save the van for another trip.
Willie.
AnswerID: 400544

Follow Up By: melbourne magpies - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 23:03

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 23:03
thanks for your valued help & information All taken on board. I have posted a new response to my travel idea, anton & mary, travilin' magpies.
FollowupID: 669875

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 08:59

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 08:59
As Teege said, you might be able to do it.
Reckon about 70/30 depending on conditions, (70% OK).

The road from Camerons Corner to Merty Merty is the question.
Can be a good road, I have sat on 60 to 80 km/hr most of the way.
Some of the clay topped crests over the dunes can be a bit dodgy, and there can be sand. If it rains there will be water over the road as well.

Had a friend tow a van up the Strezlecki to Innamincka and through to Thargomindah OK. Standard road van and a 62 rambler ute, but they had done some travelling before and I know they would drive to the conditions and what the van would take. Don't know your experience or set up that well.
AnswerID: 400559

FollowupID: 669876

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 20:45

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 20:45
Anton & Mary
While we were there 08 we left the van at a relies station out near Ballera still had to do their 80km drive way with rough jump ups and creek crossings. Did the round trip with tent which included Birdsville track. At the time the worst part was the Strz track and Innaminka heading east to Ballera. I love my van too much to do that to it. While at Innaminka we went to get rid of some rubbish out at the tip. Couldn't believe the caravan parts out there including a brand new microwave. Even if you do go slow there are road trains with three trailers to contend with.
Probably new owners by now but we had the best Tbone at Cameron Corner couple of hours turned into over night folk there fantastic. We also went out to Coongie Lakes it was full. Amazing to see all that water in the middle of know where. There is a couple of pictures in my profile of the area.
Enjoy
Sharon

AnswerID: 400646

FollowupID: 669877

Sponsored Links