Wonnangatta with camper trailer

Submitted: Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:45
ThreadID: 75398 Views:3718 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
After asking for advise on getting into Wonnangatta with a camper trailer I thought I should let you know how we got on (and perhaps help others with the same question).
We went via Dargo into Talbotville for a couple of nights, that part is quite easy, although the long downhill run into Talbotville would be hard on brakes (towing) without using low range.
From Talbotville we went via Pioneer Racecourse / Tea Tree Range / Harts Spur and into the valley. There were some reasonable climbs in this section, but again not too difficult, but some of the erosion mounds are pretty big - in fact we got hung up on one with the camper draw bar, but a slightly quicker approach got us over.
There are some pretty steep sections on the run down Harts Spur, but slow and steady saw us down OK. But again some big erosion mounds - we must have dragged the underside of the car (Pajero NM) and the draw bar over dozens, but gravity is your friend here. Not sure I would want to try and get out this way, as gravity would certainly not help there, and if at all wet forget it.
After 3 nights in Gatta we exited via East Buffalo Road - while easier it was not quite as easy as I expected, after reading some comments on this and other sites. Low range 1st was needed in a number of spots to get us over yet more erosion mounds - others with more talent than me (or less regard for their vehicle) might get in with a softroader type vehicle, but getting out could be interesting (especially in the wet).
Any way thanks to those who advised this route, we did it with no great drama (except for the loss of a jockey wheel, presumably ribbed off on one of the aforementioned mounds) - would I take the camper in again - only if staying for a fair while or as a part of a longer tour (as was our case). There a large number of places where meeting another vehicle towing would be awkward (to say the least) and any rain would be a major drama. Slow and steady is the go (4 hours to get in from Talbotville, just over 40km) but it is a great place to spend time in (we camped on the river just down from the cemetery).
Hope this helps others with their planning, any other questions please feel free to ask.
IanM
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Redback - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:31

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:31
No problems getting a camper trailer down to Wonnangatta Station.

Baz.
AnswerID: 400589

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 18:05

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 18:05
Ian,

So that was your jockey wheel I saw part way down Hart Spur. It looked liked the shaft had snapped and the wheel sitting in the middle of the track.
The track was too steep to stop and pick it up and it looked like it was beyond repair.

I was on that track last Saturday with 5 campers in the convey. They all made it down OK but I am sure that a few had a bit of a scrap over the mounds.

Wayne

AnswerID: 400629

Follow Up By: IanM (Vic) - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 19:31

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 19:31
Wayne

I guess that was ours - we did not realise it was gone until we went to set up in the valley. Fortunately that was the only mishap we suffered on what was our toughest trip to date with the trailer.

IanM
FollowupID: 669841

Sponsored Links