Starter Motor 94 GXL 4.5

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 20:16
ThreadID: 7541 Views:1518 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
The voice on the other end of the phone said 'hope your sittin down' I knew this was bad, 'how much' I ask, around $1100 bucks for a new original starter or $700 for a generic brand which are not easy to find, was told they are the same imported unit except with no badging, that costs $400 extra. I opted for the generic and have not had any probs so far. The voice on the phone also said he is starting to see quite a few starters fail as the years and kms go by, mine has 270,000kms clocked up and its first major thing to go wrong, hope this helps!

PS. Rum makes ya insides wet!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter L - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 22:29

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 22:29
What were the symptoms, Wanger(carefull)
AnswerID: 32559

Follow Up By: Wanger - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 22:53

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 22:53
With mine you would turn the key and get no response from the starter at all, this happened every now and then but became more frequent over a period of about a month, when this did happen I would switch ignition on and off a few times until it did it's thing. Thought it might have been isolator switch (auto) or wiring related but had this checked and was all OK. When the starter was removed it was in a pretty ugly way, must have been all that silty water.
FollowupID: 23262

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 13:31

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 13:31
I had the same problem with my 80 series stater, work some times & then just clicks other times.
I pulled the starter out & stripped it down (im no starter expert) & found all was ok except the solinoid contacts were worn away.

$8 for to new ones ($16 genuine Toyota) & two seconds to install.......all fixed.
The new ones had a bigger surface area so it must be a common problem with the original ones.

Could of saved your self some money !
FollowupID: 23295

Sponsored Links