Andamooka to Farina via Mulgaria

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 20:47
ThreadID: 75433 Views:2860 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,
I am aware that a fee is payable, but what is the general condition of this route? Any dramas for a diesel Pajero towing an offroad c/t?
Any info on the Borefield Road would also be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Jon W
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 21:14

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 21:14
Hi Jon W.

Went from Farina [ great camping with toilets and wood donkey showers] to Andamooka and Roxby Downs via Mulgaria Station in July 2009 . A few small dunes from Mulgaria to Andamooka but nothing that will trouble you to much. I would suggest that you go mto the Post Office in Andamooka where you can pay your $25-00 and get a map and some great information as there is a lot to see along the way for the well imformed. WATCH the dogs at Mulgaria as I still have a lifetime scar on my leg which required medicle attention at Coober Pedy before we crossed the Anne Beadell. The Borefield Road will not cause you any dramas. Roxby Downs is a thriving mining town with a Wollies and plenty of supplies
Hope this helps and enjoy your travells

Cheer Teza PS collect wood if camping at Farina.
AnswerID: 400765

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 21:40

Saturday, Jan 23, 2010 at 21:40
Be particularly careful of other vehicles coming in the opposite direction.

We had a group come through, listening to us on their UHFs but didn't have the brains to announce their presence and we could easily have hit them head on in the twisty dunes on the Andamooka end.

They were on a different channel but using their scan function.

We were towing a couple of vans and if we had met one head on it would have been disaster.

Image Could Not Be Found

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 400768

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 16:25

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 16:25
Gone Bush

That is why sand flags are a good idea.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 670221

Reply By: Member - Josh (TAS) - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 00:31

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 00:31
I would be surprised if you had any trouble doing that section, some small dunes but easy even with a trailer and low tyre pressure. A great drive. We did it several times times when I worked in Roxby Downs. We lived in Andamooka for 8 months. Great time and lots of fun looking for opals. If you get a chance in Roxby have a look at the bhp houses on the southern edges of town for me, We did the landscaping around them. We laid around 9000 cubit metres of mulch and laid 40 metres of turf at each house (usually in 45 degree heat). There are a number of old mining areas through that area aswell. The bore field road is well maintained and may have some exploration mine vehicles on it. If you get a chance to have a look at white dam opal field near Andamooka it is fascinating look.
There is one section that if you have a lot of wind the track has fresh sand blown over it and can be a little difficult to find but take your time and it's not to bad. Hope that helps

Josh
AnswerID: 400787

Reply By: Member - Jon W (Toowoomba QLD) - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 09:37

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 09:37
Many thanks folks. Seems like this is the way to go to aoid some backtracking.
Regards,
Jon W
AnswerID: 400808

Follow Up By: Member - Jon W (Toowoomba QLD) - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 09:38

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 09:38
"avoid"!!!
FollowupID: 670056

Sponsored Links