Nissan Xtrail

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 09:40
ThreadID: 75442 Views:5430 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone heard about any problems with xtrail's ? My son is about to purchase one and is somewhat apprehensive about all that money going on a new car.

Thanks in advance

angler
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 09:44

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 09:44
New or secondhand??

I have an 04 model which is thirsty if towing or stop starting on short runs

We have had a few issues with the sensor in the Auto Transmission, it occasionally plays up and won't allow the car to start.

We just cracked 100k kms in it and the fuel economy is now beginning to get better (but that is because it is doing a lot of highway miles now).

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 400809

Follow Up By: JAZZY - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 14:13

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 14:13
We had the same problem with our 06 Xtrail, auto transmission locking, but it wasnt the vehicle's fault and after some research found the solution to this (which is in the manual)

Aparently there are a few vehicles that has this feature, auto locks when the car is even slightly in motion (or the car thinks it will be motion :-) ). There are steps to "unlock" the transmission as per the manual.

FollowupID: 670088

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 17:03

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 17:03
Yep, you have to have your foot on the brake to start it.
FollowupID: 670105

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 17:10

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 17:10
With ours you don't have to.

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 670106

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 17:20

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 17:20
Whoops, you're right Kev - I got mixed up. Ours starts too, but won't move out of park without your foot on the brake.
FollowupID: 670109

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 17:24

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 17:24
Yep, but it does start in neutral with foot on the brake from memory.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 670110

Reply By: Madfisher - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 09:54

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 09:54
We have had quite a few at work with no problems. Usually keep them to 50000ks. They have one of the best cruise controls in the business, actually applies the brakes downhill to hold at set speed.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 400811

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:04

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:04
A mate has the diesel and it's a nice vehicle.

Another one had a petrol version a couple of years back, and he loved it too.

One of the earlier models had an issue with a nut dropping off in the Aircleaner box and going down into the cylinders. They bought out a fix for it so worth checking if you buy second hand.

AnswerID: 400812

Reply By: GQueue - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:09

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:09
Current model I take it?

Recently did a 1600km stint in one over a week or so. It was a hire car too with about 26k on the clock, so you'd think anything major would have been evident.

Pretty good little jigger, no race car, and didn't do anything more strenuous than light dirt roads, but handled it all with ease. CVT auto is very smooth, economy around town a bit average at 12l or so, but on the highway would easily be in the mid 6's on cruise without really trying.

Biggest complaint was the cruise - which I think is due to the CVT - but on downhills it would easily add 5-10kmh before reigning it back in with a jolt. Found I'd just drop it back to 4th and use the engine braking then re-engage the cruise on the flat.

Oh, and the AC can struggle a bit without tint on all those windows, but thats cheap enough to rectify.

Again, no idea about off road, but as a predominantly road based SUV, would do the job.

Hope it helps.
AnswerID: 400813

Reply By: craig2 - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:14

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:14
Tell him to go and see http://www.australianxtrail.com.au/
This has all the info you could ask for.
Tell him to stay away from the CVT as they tend to blow up after 10000km I'm not kidding. The diesel are having EGR problems (i know i've got one) and niossan don't know what to do about it. Apart form these little problems its a fantastic car to drive the best i've owned for a long time.
AnswerID: 400815

Follow Up By: GQueue - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:40

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:40
Guess thats why I found the CVT so smooth - it was probably brand new!
FollowupID: 670065

Reply By: chisel - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 16:09

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 16:09
A friend of mine has had problems with his '06 xtrail. Multiple wheel bearing failures, engine mounts and a couple of other things and the car has not done many kms (and not hard kms at all).
AnswerID: 400834

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 17:16

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 17:16
We've got 2 Xtrails in the family - a 2005 manual with 70,000 and a 2007 auto with 30,000. Neither one has had any problems. I do all the servicing. Nice funky little car.

Known problems:
#1 The early vehicles could regurgitate their catalytic converter into the cylinders, trashing the bores - problem fixed about 2002. The first cat is in the exhaust manifold.
#2 The butterfly valves in the intake could drop their screws into the cylinders - solved with a few drops of locktite and an hours labour. Solved in 2004.
#3 Wheel bearings can spasmodically fail - not common and usually happens early, indicating a problem with the manufacture of the bearing.
#4 If you work it hard in 4wd on sand, the viscous transfer thing overheats and it reverts to 2wd. Bit of a pain, until you get used to it.

There might be more, but we reakon they are a great sized vehicle that suits us well. I prefer the pre 2007 model (T30) with the dash in the middle.
We get pretty good fuel consumption. The manual gets 8.2 l/100k on the highway and about 10 l/100k around town. Our auto gets 8.7 l/100 on the highway and 10.5 l/100k around town, but we take it easy.

Tyres - both 15" and 16" are an odd size and expensive.

In Jan 2006, the power was cut back from 132Kw to 123 Kw because of emissions. In my opinion a 2005 model is the pick of the bunch.
AnswerID: 400840

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 09:20

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 09:20
Phil
Re your #4: Apparently the guys who run the beach recovery towing service at Stockton Beach have had plenty of business from Xtrail owners who have suffered this fate.

teege
FollowupID: 670177

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:05

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:05
Teege,
Yeah, but you shouldn't need a tow (unless the tide is coming in!). When it cools down, you get 4wd back. I personally think they worked hard because the owners forget the basics and don't let tyres down far enough. And they may also get stuck for clearance. I've also heard that if you run it in auto 4wd instead of full 4wd, it is less likely to happen.
FollowupID: 670187

Follow Up By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 14:09

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 14:09
Phil
The problem here is that we are so close to Sydney and Newcastle. Everybody who buys a softroader after seeing the ads decides to try them out on Stockton. Some weekends there is a queue 100 metres long of guys in Subarus, Volvos, Audis etc stuck in the sand right at the entrance to the beach. When you ask them what they have aired down to they look at you with a blank stare. There is never any thought of seeking advice first. And in that category most of them have you beaut low profile tyres with only about 40-50mm of rubber on them anyway. Then you get up to the Xtrail, Rav4,Forester type of vehicle - they seem to be able to negotiate the early problems ok, but still have no idea of lowering tyre pressures. These are the ones which are more likely to get into strife deep into the dunes. They wouldn't know what a viscous coupling was, let alone have the patience to let it cool down. But Wait , there's more!!! For some reason, a percentage of the guys with the dual cab utes and the big 4wd's seem to park their brains on the bitumen before they go onto the sand. You see them screaming up the beach at 70kph plus ( speed limit is 40), kids sitting on window sills or in the backs of the utes. I've seen kids being towed by 4wd's on skim boards at outrageous speeds.

Sorry about my rant, but being a local it terrifies me to go on the beach over the holiday season. And as the smaller 4wd's are becoming more and more capable, it seems more and more incapable people are buying them.

teege
FollowupID: 670209

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 16:54

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 16:54
Teege,
Some weekends Stockton is funnier than a 3 ring circus!

One of my favourite sports is handing those soft roaders a shovel. I reckon I couldn't shock them anymore if it was one of the local brown snakes!

One particularly memorable afternoon I came across a couple done up like they fell out of Rundle's window and bogged to the gunwhales in their lovely Mazda Tribune? Tributary? or Tribute?, something like that.

Asked them about tyre pressure, blank stare! Ok, you get out your tyre gauge and let them down to 16psi all round.
Umm, I don't have one and how do I let them down anyway?

Ok, so I drop them to 16psi and then hand the bloke a shovel. At this stage Mrs Pretty spits it.
"The salesman and my husband both said you can't bog a 4wd"
I says, "They might be right but it's not as if you've got a 4wd is it? Now if you want to get out dig. Otherwise give me back my shovel"

So they elected to dig and actually drove out! Surprise, surprise!

Listening to the UHF is a crack up! I remember one afternoon listening to 2 women in what turned out to be 2 families in a Pajero and a Jackaroo. Two quite capable vehicles.

They where having a lengthy discussion on what to do with that "really short gearstick" when they got off the beach because it was at "L now, whatever that means"

The frustrating bit is if the dills let some air out of the tyres they could use H4, be kinder on the tracks and their vehicle.

I think my grandfather was right, "you can't put brains in a statue"

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 670225

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 17:26

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 17:26
LOL, very entertaining reading Geoff (even if OT!) - every good campfire needs a good story teller like you! And such a provocative stirrer too: "They might be right but it's not as if you've got a 4wd is it?"
FollowupID: 670408

Reply By: Member - Jo Q (NSW) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 15:37

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 15:37
Dear Angler,

I upgraded last year after buying a camper trailer that my poor little Terrios had trouble towing up hills! We had an Xtrail as a fleet vehicle at work and I didn't look at anything else. I've got an 08 automatic and find it great. Towed all the way to the Daintree & back (to Sydney) no problems at all, was all on road though. Have taken it onto sand and had no problems. Good sized vehicle inside as well, it is actually longer and wider than the 04 model we have at work so they have made a few adjustments over the years.

Highly recommend them! :)
AnswerID: 400941

Sponsored Links