Kimberley Caravan

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 18:08
ThreadID: 75450 Views:6276 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Last year I sold my Kimberley Kamper - to a stronger man!
I am now looking for an "easier" solution - something with good under canvas / awning, and that is easy and quick to set up.

I have a 2007 3.0ltr Prado diesel. So limited to 2.5 t. towing capacity.

I have seen the Quantum. It is pretty stark to look at (particularly inside), but the kitchen looks pretty good and I like that it's outside. I also like the internal shower / toilet and that the van tracks pretty much only as wide as the car. I have seen the extended canvas set-up - it looks way easier than the Kimberley Kamper to set-up.

BUT - it's expensive. North of $70k.

Also, I don't yet have a feel for how it will perform off-road, particularly in the Vic High Country and local deserts.

I have seen the Topaz - not overly keen on it. And I am not inspired by the Kimberley Karavan's awning set-up.

Q1 - Has anyone seen anything else that covers my bases.
Q2 - Does anyone have a comment on its off-road capabilities.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 19:48

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 19:48
Hi Chris AL

For $70,000 you could get a pre-loved all roads caravan with no setting up to do! Even one of those little old tiny Supreme pop tops with rear door (but no bathroom) would go most places the KK would.

I can't comment on any of the other 'hybrid campers'.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 400860

Reply By: Scott C (Coolum - QLD) - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 22:48

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 22:48
Hi ChrisAL

Have a look at the Gunyah by ozzie off road, I dont know anything about them but came across the web site when I was looking for vans with external kitchens.

www.ozzieoffroad.com.au

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 400883

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 23:24

Sunday, Jan 24, 2010 at 23:24
These guys build a simmilar product, no idea of the price.

Aussie Campers

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 670156

Reply By: Member - Bruce T (SA) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 01:23

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 01:23
Sold our Kimberley last October. Went for a VistaRV. No canvas, has an outside ktchen, and co-designed by the designer of the Tvan. We have already done 12,000 kms in it and are very pleased with it.
We also looked at the Quantum and Topaz and had similar thoughts to you.
Google VistaRV or Crossover vans. There are a couple of good sites to get you started with your research. Priced at about $55,000 now. That seems a lot for such a small camper/van, but it will go anywhere and be dust proof.
AnswerID: 400893

Follow Up By: Gronk - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 22:29

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 22:29
We have a KK and have looked at these campers as well.....

Good points....no canvas....low tare weight...go anywhere

Bad points.....no hotplate inside ( just to do a cuppa maybe ? )...no option to fit an innerspring ( can't fold up to make way for the table )...no flyscreen for the door ( or is there now ?? )....and of course , price !!

How have you found these above points ??
FollowupID: 670479

Reply By: wafarmer - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 04:03

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 04:03
Hi

I have one of thesehttp://pacificaluminiumtrailers.com.au/?ally

Quite happy with the concept

wafarmer
AnswerID: 400895

Reply By: wafarmer - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 04:04

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 04:04
Hi

I have one of thesehttp://pacificaluminiumtrailers.com.au/?ally

Quite happy with the concept

Sorry the Vision

wafarmer
AnswerID: 400896

Reply By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 23:26

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 23:26
Chris, you make comment that you aren't inspired by the Kimberley Karavan awning set up. I wonder what awning you are talking about as there are other options. We tend to carry a bag awning made by Fiamma as one of our options with a pretty rigid frame.

I think a lot of places around the High Country, the grip you can get from the tyres of the Prado will restrict what you can pull, and that doesn't account for any stated towing capacity. That means nothing on steep tracks.

We have towed the Karavan in some places but I debate with myself whether we would pull up certain tracks. There are some that are too steep to get traction. I know also that a guy with a 200 struggled with his torque converter in low/low, so I doubt a Prado would do better.
AnswerID: 401235

Reply By: Member - Gouger (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 17:16

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 17:16
Have a look at www.vistarv.com.au. A standout option that exceeds easily the Topaz ( height and build quality? and KK ( too much stuff to go wrong).- on road for circa $55,000. Your vehicle will easily handle tow ball weight and GVM. I have one and can't be happier. The build quality is extremely high.

Gouger
AnswerID: 401494

Sponsored Links