GQ transfer case oil & Rocker shaft problem

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 22:30
ThreadID: 7546 Views:2028 Replies:0 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Forumites,
For those interested Nissan only stipulate / recommend Auto trans fluid for the transfer case oil now. Series 1 and series 2 the same. The Gregory's manual mentions Hypoid for series 1 and ATF for series 2. Just thought I would let you know, I changed mine at the weekend, can't say there's an earth bleep tering difference.
As for the rocker shaft problem I've had a slight annoying tap at half engine speed for the last 5000 k's ish, buggered if I could find the problem, the noise was more evident from the back of the fourby, and disappeared when the engine was at anything other than idle, I took the rocker shaft off and checked all the rocker landings on the shaft and found one worn by 0.004 thou and not right across the width if you know what I mean. Off to Magic Nissan, $400 later, one shaft and five new rockers, that hurt! The tapping noise has now gone, problem fixed. According to my now friend at Nissan this is a common problem, be aware one set of rockers I can't remember which, is considerably more expensive than the other one be it exhaust or inlet. It's worth measuring with hammer gauges to make sure you get only as many as you need if you're on a tight budget. Keep the shiny side up
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Sponsored Links