BUSH/BEACH CAMPING SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Submitted: Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 13:12
ThreadID: 75464 Views:5801 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all!
We are looking for a good spot to go camping - i think im asking too much although. Perhaps someone could help.
We live in Adelaide, and dont want to travel too far away - 2-3hrs hopefully.
We are self sufficient (tent style) so not needing all the ameneties etc - although not experienced. We would like a spot CLOSE to swimming water (preferably the beach, im not a big fan of the river), with shade, privacy (so we can make a bit of noise without disturbing others). I seem to be able to find a spot that seems ideal - but then it wont have natural shade or something like that - which makes it impossible to sit out in the sun constantly.
Im originally from Victoria - so have plenty to learn about South Australia, and the camping opportunities over here.
We would prefer bush style - we have been recommended to go to Butlers Beach, but were HOPING to find something similar that isnt quite as far away (as we prefer the bush style in comparison to the caravan parks etc - they seem way too packed out and restricted with noise, campfires etc).
Hope someone can help - thanks in advance!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 16:19

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 16:19
Hi Anita and Adam
One place that would not be that far to travel would be to head down to Goolwa. When you hit Beach Road, follow this down as far as you can go right to the beach. Make sure that you use four wheel drive as you enter the beach, over the soft sand. If it is low tide, you will have a good 10 kilometre drive down to the Murray Mouth. There are a number of places where you can get in behind the dunes to camp. As for swimming, you would be better and safer to walk over the dunes and swim on the inside of the Coorong Side, as the ocean beach has very heavy seas. If you like fishing make sure that you pack your line. There are many other fine beach camping places both north and south of Adelaide, but will be longer in time to get there. At least the kids are back at school soon and the numbers down that way will be a lot less.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 400951

Follow Up By: Anita and Adam - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 16:46

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 16:46
Thank you for that info Stephen, i failed to mention we only own a 2wd at present. what are the other places you are suggesting that are further away?
FollowupID: 670223

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 17:09

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 17:09
Hi
Just like below, the Yorke Peninsula has some very private, out of the ways places. The only down side is it will be a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive from Adelaide.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 670226

Follow Up By: Anita and Adam - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 18:42

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 18:42
Thanks Stephen, i guess we should just pack up the car and start trying places around Yorke to eventually find the ideal spot.

Cheers, Anita & Adam.
FollowupID: 670242

Reply By: DIO - Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 16:24

Monday, Jan 25, 2010 at 16:24
One of South Australia's best kept secrets is the Yorke Peninsula. Plenty of opportunities for camping, fishing, swimming. Innes National Park is the 'jewel in the crown'. Sss'h don't pass it around though.
LINK
AnswerID: 400953

Sponsored Links