Batton Hill

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:04
ThreadID: 75498 Views:2102 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can any one pass any information on venturing into the Hay River area,
looking to put a trip together after reading about this area.

Cheers David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:18

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:18
Hi David
Can you be more specific about what you want to know? Have been there twice in 06 and again in 07. Getting there from the north is straightforward. From the south is a potentially testing desert trek especially if going early in the season when the track across big dunes may have disappeared - not something to do on your own. Batton Hill is remote but has quite good facilities (have a look in the Places section of this site). Lake Caroline is also an interesting spot.
Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 401084

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:05

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:05
Hay River- Batton Hill

Bookongs & permits are arranged through >>Jol Fleming

enjoy....

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 401091

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 14:25

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 14:25
Hi David
Firstly from our many varied travels from all directions over the Simpson, I would personally say that the Hay River trip would be one of the best and easiest Simpson trips that anyone can undertake. Providing that the area is dry, it is a very easy trip, and once you enter the 'Hay River' as such, it is pretty much 2 wheel drive all the way. The only time that you will need four wheel drive is if you cross the Hay River and head out to Lake Caroline.

My next comment could cause a stir, but I would not waste the big dollars per head to do the Bush Tucker tour. Sure you get to see more great scenery, but when we did it, it was $120 per person and could be better spent in other things, but like I said these are just my comments only. Lindsay had to come in one of our vehicles, bush tucker was not in season and we had to supply him with his lunch.

Take your time and enjoy a great remote part of Australia. Batton Hill is immaculate, with not a thing out of place. You are not allowed to burn any rubbish at the camp fire there, so be warned. After a few good days in the desert, the hot showers are unreal.

If you have people in the group that like collecting things, do what I did. Before the trip I purchased a number of very small sample bottles. During the trip, I would collect lots of small sample of the sand and when you stand them along side of each other, would will be very surprised just how much the desert sand changes in colour from the start to the finish.

It is a great trip that you will enjoy immensely.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 401114

Sponsored Links