Goldstream Storm camper wind up repairs?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 19:10
ThreadID: 75516 Views:17993 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all & happy Australia Day. Have just got back from our first trip, shake down long weekend, in our 1996 Goldstream Storm camper van. All went really well & we love the van, however at the very last moment due to a mis-communication I started to wind the mechanism back up when all was locked down........not good!
A bang was heard & now the corner that has the wind up handle will not raise...the other three do although I didn't try to go too far.
Can anyone tell me what has happened, is it a broken cable, cable off the pulley or what, & how can it be fixed, given that it doesn't seem able to be wound up at all four corners.
I am pretty handy if I can see pictures or get a good description of what to do, although time is somewhat an issue as I work 5 days a week & we need the van to be fixed within the next 4 weeks as we are going away for a couple of weeks, in the van!!!.
I'd be really appreciative of any assistance with this.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dublediff - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 20:39

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 20:39
Each corner of the roof is lifted by a metal spring that sits inside the telescopic arm at each corner. These springs are in turn 'pushed' up or lowered by a cable mechanism that is wound around a winch system. Sounds like you have either broken one the of the cables or more likely forced the 'slug' off of the end of the cable. Either which way you will need to access the lifting centre (probably under the floor in the boot of your camper) and do a visual inspection. Each corner of your camper can be lifted by hand and a temporary prop - I used broom handles cut to length - can be placed beside each lifting arm whilst you attempt your repairs.

Trevor Eastman has published a booklet showing such repairs, I don't know if this is still available.

I own a golf campervan and had a similar experience some time back although my problem was a design fault. I was able to carry out the repairs myself and saved a bucket of money.

Best of luck.

Eric.
AnswerID: 401199

Reply By: Ken - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 20:43

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 20:43
Hi Steve, I'd say you have most likely snapped a cable. The winch pulls a set of cables on the ends of a sort of coiled, flexi rod which then push up inside the corner posts to lift the roof.
Not sure on a Storm but in a Crown you can access the mechanism under the bed, there is a area separate to the storage compartment between the front cladding and the storage space.
Goldstreams have a lower reduction winch than other campers and as such they are very powerful, more so than the cables unfortunately.
Ken
AnswerID: 401202

Reply By: woodie3 - Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 21:41

Tuesday, Jan 26, 2010 at 21:41
Hello, I have taken some photos of my camper trailer ,it is a Coromel, not sure if the mechanism is the same but it may give you an idea of what to expect if you are attempting to fix repair it yourself, I can email the photos to you if wanted, my email address is billkelly@iprimus.com.au, if you drop me a line I will send them to you , regards Bill
AnswerID: 401210

Reply By: PradOz - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 08:16

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 08:16
It can be several things that have gone wrong, some simple some not.

for a simple check, look behind winch mechanism inside by removing whatever ply covers there are and see if you have simply bent the eye bolt that holds that particular cable. Do not run your hands along the cables - if they are sharp you will slice your hand open.

strongly suggest you buy the correct one of these lus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=574&products_id=2219&osCsid=885d588b58d055ad3fee835d6fe74f50]trevor eastman books[/url] if you only can get Jayco it should help anyway
AnswerID: 401258

Reply By: AusSteve - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 22:16

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 22:16
Well the wind up mechanism has been fixed...interesting story. We rang a Goldstream agent & spoke to the service people & explained that we had, inadvertently, started to wind the van up whilst it was locked down at the corners. We heard a bang & then 3 corners would start to lift when the winder was used but not the corner nearest the winder.
The service guy pretty much said in these words, well I don't know we had a new one on the yard here & the mechanism collapsed, cost $3000.00 to get it fixed. Talk about &*^$*&^!!!! Really concerned now.
Next rang ABCO Caravan Services here in Coffs Harbour, with whom I have no affiliation, gave exact same explanation & was told between $100.00 & $350.00 depending on what they found.
The van went in two days later & a broken cable was found, replaced, adjusted, sorted etc. for $315.00 They also performed a very comprehensive service for $195.00.
All in all extremely pleased....certainly pays to shop around hey?

AnswerID: 402173

Sponsored Links