GPS Model

Hi Guys, im having a bit of trouble trying too figure out what is the best option/s for me regarding gps units, i am after one that can use downloaded maps but i would like to be able edit the map with camping spot/poi, so i guess i need to know what do i actually need in regards to software/hardware and more than likely at a budget as i dont get out that much

Cheers
Nigel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 11:44

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 11:44
Nigel

It depends on how much you are able or prepared to do yourself.

With moderate computer experience you could quite easily get a cheap ($60) chinese 5" GPS to do almost everything you need. The street map software would be pretty basic, and you'd be using OziExplorer with your own maps in the bush.

In terms of expense the next step up would be to buy locally. Harvey Norman has the Mio 470 for $199 at the moment. The Mio street software is OK but not as good as Tom Tom. Again, you'd be loading OziExplorer and your own maps on to the micro SD card to use with this. You need to run a programme to unlock the Mio to run other software. Some computer savvy needed to do this.

Lastly, you could buy an off the shelf Navigator like Hema which does it all with no input from you (other than financial).

Bob
AnswerID: 401285

Reply By: Ted G - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 17:12

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 17:12
Try a Uniden tx4300 or tx500, you can down load Google maps and routes as well as other map sources to your computer and then to the GPS.
Updates are free, Harvey Norman had them for $209 for the 4300.
I use one and it is reasonable apart from having Whereis as the map system which is pretty useless in the country outside of major towns for streets, but so is my built in Sat Nav in my Prado which also runs Whereis and costs $390 for an update disk.
There is a comparison in the latest 4WD Action magazine.
Regards
Ted
AnswerID: 401331

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 18:59

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 18:59
Hi

Do you want/need a handheld gps or an in car navigator ...or something that does both?. It is impossible to provide proper advice on what gps may suit someone without knowing what they intend on using it for and how.

By "downloaded maps" do you mean "free" maps from the internet, or do you mean you want to download them from your PC to the GPS?

You dont need the ability to edit a map to add POIs or waypoints - they are typically added as a separate file and display over he top of what ever maps you may have open at the time.

Choosing a gps is confusing first time around.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 401347

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:20

Thursday, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:20
I just changed my Navman and loaded MioPocket 3.0 onto the SD card. Now I have the normal Navman turn by turn maps and also my Hema maps running on OziexplorerCE

You can pickup a cheap GPS on eBay for under $100 and then you just have to purchase the software for the maps and obviously the maps as well.
AnswerID: 401442

Reply By: nigilor6 - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 00:03

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 00:03
Thanks for the replys guys, the more i look into it the more i think an in car gps will do, bout 6 years ago i went along the south coast of w.a. and found some good spots for fishing and camping and marked them all on a map, of course i have lost it and now would like to go find these again, hopefully i will get into perth and look at some mapping shops with some demos hopefully
AnswerID: 401557

Sponsored Links