Buchan to Jindabyne via Suggan Buggan

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 17:00
ThreadID: 75542 Views:7534 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

Any recommendations for the above mentioned route? What's the road/track like? HF radio or Sat. Phone needed?

Thanks.

The Dr.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ajd - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 17:25

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 17:25
We did the Omeo to Tom Groggin last week and all tracks are open and not too difficult. Make sure you stay at Davies Plain Hut, it's beautiful.

Cheers.
Your lack of planning does not constitute my emergency.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 401334

Reply By: Member - A J- Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 17:25

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 17:25
The Doctor (NSW) - we came back through there last month - the road from Buchan to Walgumerang is sealed and quite wide. From the turn off to McKillops Bridge it becomes narrow and in some places you would have to back up if you struck oncoming traffic.

Lots of camp sites once you cross the border into NSW and we saw a small off road van camped beside the road next to the snowy river.

Road remains narrow until you leave the park.

Plan to return there one day and camp with the van for a few days. That was just a quick trip to Vic and back to Jindabyne to fish for the night.

Did not check out HF radio or Sat phone as we did not have them with us.

We were travelling in a duel cab 4x4

A J

AnswerID: 401335

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 17:33

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 17:33
I haven't been through there since 1991, but I used to drive through there on regular basis in my 1971 XY falcon station wagon. It's was narrow (single lane track in part) and winding in places, but it was always in good condition.

Never had a mobile phone, sat phone etc etc... never needed it.... lol...

Can't tell you what it's like now, but I would imagine it's better now than it was then. A lot more of it has bitumen now than it did pre 1991. Can't imagine you having any problems getting through. Wouldn't recomend trying to get a caravan through though.
regards,
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 401336

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 17:34

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 17:34
The roughest section of the road is still suitable for 2wd cars if taken steady. It has narrow, steepish winding sections that are not ideal for towing large vans & will be very dusty this time of year. It see's quite a bit of traffic (depending on time of travel) so you wont be alone for too long. The road was built way before Sat phones were invented so no, they are not needed. If feeling a little insecure one could pack a Sat phone, EPIRB, SPOT locator & travel in a convoy of 10 otherwise do as the locals do & just drive carefully ;-)
Recomendations: If time permits, slip out & look at McKillops Bridge.
Cheers Craig.....................
AnswerID: 401337

Follow Up By: Tim Owen - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 21:24

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 21:24
We drove from Jindabyne to Buchan on Friday just gone. As said, this is a 2wd gravel road - just take it slow and you'll be fine. The road is in good condition - no problems. We saw half a dozen vehicles in the gravel section - so no need for remote communications. My advice is to take a quick look at the suggan buggan school house - and remember to enjoy the fabulous views over the snowy river valley - particularly at the Buchan end. I'd say it is roughly a 3 hour drive from Jindabyne to Buchan.
FollowupID: 670697

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 21:40

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 21:40
I have done that run three times. The first time was in about 1990 in a MQ. I always said I would go back and take my time through there some time.

Well I have been back twice in 3 years, the last time about 4 years ago.

It is such a pretty run. We towed a camper trailer from Jindabyne to Suggan Buggan and then headed west. We were really on our way from Kiama to Broken Hill and I wanted the scenic route. The run from Jindabyne to the border climbs out of Jindabyne on bitumen before winding down into the Snowy River valley on dirt.

The run along the valley floor could take me about 10 days. Just dawdle along stopping for a swim or a fish or just to take in the view. But you can do it in a day comfortably.

As others have said take it easy and no matter what you are driving, Ferraris and Lambo's excluded, you won't have a problem......except perhaps in leaving.

Duncs
AnswerID: 401386

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 23:28

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 23:28
We did Jindabyne to the Ingeegoodbee Track turnoff then through McFarlanes, Cobberas, Limestone Creek, McCarthys and Davies Plain Track to Tom Groggin at the weekend. Barry Way was 2WD the other tracks were a bit more interesting but no problems in the dry although there was one pinch on Cobberas that was bit knocked around.

AnswerID: 401399

Sponsored Links