Road Safety nothing to sneeze at

Submitted: Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 05:57
ThreadID: 75586 Views:2760 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
A MAN told today of his disbelief at being fined for blowing his nose while his van was stopped in London.

Michael Mancini wiped his nose with a handkerchief while stuck in traffic in October 2009.

But when the traffic cleared, he was pulled over by police who told him he had not been in control of his vehicle.

Mr Mancini, from Ayrshire in Scotland, was handed a $US97 fine and three points on his driving license.

"I was stopped in traffic and had the handbrake on and thought to myself, 'I?ve just got time to blow my nose,'" he said.

"Then police pulled me over and I was booked. I genuinely thought they were joking."

Mr Mancini refused to pay the penalty.

His solicitor wrote to prosecutors earlier in January explaining that Mr Mancini was in charge of the vehicle because his handbrake was on, therefore the offense did not occur.

But prosecutors replied the next day warning that if the fine wasn't paid the case would be taken to court.

Mr Mancini said, "I intend on taking this all the way to court. I still don't believe it actually happened".
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 06:02

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 06:02
Welcome to a world gone mad. And people wonder why i like to get out and travel alone. Sigh.
AnswerID: 401567

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 07:09

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 07:09
Hi TonBon

And some still seem surprized by my "on the ground" observations of lack of support for authorities as per my reply in post 75561
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 670901

Follow Up By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:13

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:13
Hi Robin,

yes that was an interesting post. I myself have had my own negative experiences with the constabulary, i watched my father bashed at an anti freeway rally by police in the 70's, i have been booked for going through a red light when it was actually green and told by the officer that i could take it to court but he would "produce" witnesses to say it was red, interesting in that it was 2am on the pacific hwy in Kempsey NSW and the only people insight were the odd drunk falling out of the local, so i too struggle when it comes to aiding them. I guess i try and asses the situation, the crime and who is involved. In this case i would again try and fight it but at the end of the day, they are a law unto themselves and will find any way they can to back themselves up, no matter what. In my view, the authorities should be respected, but they need to earn that respect which they dont, instead they enforce authority which does nothing but either instill fear and or contempt.
FollowupID: 670912

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 09:09

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 09:09
Hi TonBon

I can feel for your situation , and the opposite of a friend of mine , a policeman who was in crowd control and a full bottle of beer was thrown annonmously striking him in the head leaving permanent partial disability.

It can be an unfair world.

There are some things you can do and I relate two little stories.

1/ I had the Patrol tweaked with a unichip - bad job, but they insisted they tested the car properly.
I always leave a gps with track recording on in the car - they were caught cold with the trace even showing that they would have been subject to our hoon laws.
So when we got gps'es for the family recently they all got the more expensive Nuvi 765's simply because they can record your track and speed.

2/ August last year near Bayswater station - someone complained to me that the redlight camera flashed when light was still green.
It took a little while but I setup and actually recorded the camera flash on a green light.

Digital camera's like bike Helmet cams can be used to record your travels cheaply these days and also used to support any driving incident's - however be warned, they can also show when you do the wrong thing.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 670922

Follow Up By: signman - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:24

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:24
Hi Robin
A guy tried the ' GPS Trace' defence in Wollongong court a few weeks back.
The evidence was refused- as the information could not determine or specify that that 'trace' was from the vehicle caught in the speed camera.

FollowupID: 670937

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 07:37

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 07:37
Bob

Reality gone mad.

That's the sign of a copper with an agenda.
I'm not knocking the "boys in blue", they have a job to do, but this in madness at it's best. I would not pay that one either.

They can go see the taxidermist.

Cheers Bucky
AnswerID: 401574

Reply By: Stef & Sal - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:56

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:56
Of course, it's a pretty clear cut case to those of us reading it from here. If only the judical system could hand over cases to those of us who READ or HEAR 1 side of a usually 3 sided story (1st side/2nd side & then finally the truth). Media & forums & the like are not a great place to hear evidence. It's usually not the full & correct version.

It's definately a world gone mad if Mr Mancini's story is true - which I doubt. But it is a world gone mad also when the Police (like it the NT recently) can be assaulted & killed & the perpetraitor is released for his birthday! Yep, it's a world gone mad alright.
AnswerID: 401586

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 09:12

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 09:12
Great reply there Stef & Sal.........
Ain't that the truth....................Oh Yeah.

Fred.
FollowupID: 670923

Follow Up By: OREJAP - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:28

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:28
I agree with Fred....great reply. Someone once said that when people are in trouble & need help they pray & or ask God for help if He/She cannot physically do something they call the coppers!!!
FollowupID: 670957

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:24

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:24
Why would he get a $US fine in England?
AnswerID: 401629

Follow Up By: Gramps - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:45

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:45
The story is probably from a US website/publication.

Regards
FollowupID: 670983

Sponsored Links