Repco towing mirror onsale

Submitted: Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:05
ThreadID: 75593 Views:11132 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi , saw these mirrors onsale at Repco .. They are cheap but are they any good ?
need a set to put on the kluger to tow jayco outback camper trailer .

Does anyone have this brand , or is better to spend the extra & get something better ?

Repco mirrors Ad

cheers
ss
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:23

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:23
Hi ss. They look exactly the same as the ones I picked up as a freebie when I bought our van a few years ago. They stay in place most of the time on our Prado mirrors; they don't stick out far enough to provide the legal vision from the Prado past our 7ft 6in caravan. I went and bought other mirrors to give me enough vision to be worthwhile (the sort that have a bar across the vehicle above the front wheel arch, and the mirrors at the ends). I must confess that, once I had these wide mirrors, I could see fine, and I could also hit the side mirrors of traffic in the next lane, which wasn't all that great. Seriously, if the Prado with mirrors could see behind as per the law, I needed a lane and a half!!
All was fixed when I bought a rear vision camera!!

So the answer to your question revolves around this: how much wider is the trailer than your tow vehicle? Measure the distance between the Kluger mirror centres plus the extra that you would get with these mirrors added. If this is more than the overall width of the trailer, you should be OK

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 401628

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:16

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:16
I find it weird that in a Prado you cant fit in a lane with wide view mirrors.

I and hundreds of others use them with Cruisers and 8ft wide vans and have no trouble with adjacent traffic.

On my Cruiser the outside edge of them is 500mm from the glass and I have never been close to any one, even roadtrains.

Cameras are only an aid, Mirrors are required whether you have a camera or not
FollowupID: 671101

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:57

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:57
Graham. I am not talking about 'real' roads with freeway size lanes, so much as suburban intersections where they have created skinny turn right lanes etc. I agree absolutely that the Prado is narrow to start with, and so cannot be more of a problem than say an LC or Patrol.
Its only fair to warn people discovering wide mirrors for the first time, like this thread, that there's a trade off between visibility and width. There is also an issue with the type of mirrors discussed in this Thread (the cheapie Repco ones, and many others) that they can suffer from passing trucks in terms of buffeting.
And yes, both the law and common sense require mirrors as well as cameras.
Perhaps I am weird, as you say!
FollowupID: 671114

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:17

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:17
I did not infer you were weird at all and was in no way insulting you.

I said I thought it weird that your rig couldnt stay in a lane with wide mirrors on.

Different thing.

Cheers
FollowupID: 671115

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:29

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:29
If you want a decent mirror that doesn't jiggle and carry on the "Aussie Truck" style are the only real way to go.

I found the type in the add are sort of acceptable but prone to being slammed against your window when you meet trucks coming the opposite way.

They can also fall off on rough roads.

AnswerID: 401631

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:44

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 14:44
ss-ss

That's what I use on the Forester, they clip on in a few seconds and I can see all I need to see with them. I would like a bit more vision but there aren't many other options to give me better vision. I am aware of what is behind me and any vehicle within the 3 car lengths I can't see shouldn't be that close anyway.

Lots of people won't agree with that, but they will do until I have need to add more vision.

Regards
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 401638

Reply By: ss--ss - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 15:45

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 15:45
Thanks for replies... I just went out & got one . had to get the larger one $26 .. Seems ok to do the job , will see how it goes ..

cheers
SS
AnswerID: 401644

Follow Up By: Ray - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:00

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:00
I have a 18'6" x 7'9" caravan that I tow behind a 80 ser L/C. I have not found any towing mirrors that were truly satisfactory so I made my own. They clamp onto the roo bar and are telescopic. The mirrors are convex and being convex the vision is more stable. I also have a rear view camera system which is invaluable. I believe that all caravanners should have a rear view camera.
FollowupID: 671095

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 09:46

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 09:46
Aussie Truck mirrors or clones of them are my choice every time. Best I've ever had.
Mirrors must be set wide enough to be able to see the back corner of the trailer on both sides.
ozjohn.
AnswerID: 401718

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 09:56

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 09:56
Repco sell a copy of Aussie Truck mirrors sometimes for as low as $64 each.

Camec have also had some recently for about the same price.

Far far better than those ones.

You get what you pay for.

Also you have to have mirrors on BOTH sides

AnswerID: 401720

Sponsored Links