Travelling to the Cape

Hi, we are travelling up through the centre in April/May, and would like to consider Cape York but don't have enough recovery gear. Does anyone know if this can be hired from Cooktown or elsewhere? We have a standard Prado with new A/T 694's, would have a snorkel if doing the Cape, will have shackles, snatch strap, shovel, compressor. What would we need to hire or acquire for the Cape trip?
We just want to take the opportunity if we can- who knows if and when the chance may happen again.
Thanks, Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 16:56

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 16:56
Sounds to me that you have enough gear. Try and arrange a travelling mate, shouldn't be too difficult to arrange. Good luck on your trip.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 401654

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 19:02

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 19:02
We picked up a travelling companion in Weipa. Or did he pick us up?

Doesn't matter either way we had a great trip and made a lifelong friend.

Duncs
FollowupID: 671025

Follow Up By: getmethehelloutahere - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:10

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:10
Thanks Guys, do you reckon we could get away with no Snorkel if we did it in June?
FollowupID: 671126

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 17:03

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 17:03
Tim
It really depends on the weather and which route you want to take. If you are happy to stick to the Developmental Road you probably won't need anything else. Except maybe a boat if the wet runs a bit late. The main road is almost a highway these days. As long as the wet is over and the graders have had time to get through you should be fine.The govt is spending a fortune on it because the indigenous leaders now refuse to fly after the big air crash. If you want to go up the OTL probably the thing you would need most at that time of the year is someone to travel with. It can be a bit hairy and having someone with you for an occasional snatch job, or to help guide you through some of the obstacles makes life a lot easier. I can't help with the rental side of things, but I would be surprised if that facility was available in Cooktown. Probably get everything you need in Cairns.
I hope this helps.

teege
AnswerID: 401655

Follow Up By: getmethehelloutahere - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:16

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:16
Thanks for that, we will probably travel in June, so hopefully there will be a few more people we can tag along with. It is hard to get a sense of how rough or isolated it is or is not when you've not been there.
Cheers
Tim
FollowupID: 671129

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 18:40

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 18:40
Tim, you should be fine with the gear you have although as previously mentioned it is best to find a travelling partner. Another concern is being early in the season how deep the crossings are.
AnswerID: 401663

Follow Up By: getmethehelloutahere - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:17

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:17
Cheers, will look at going in June I think-less water, more people.
Tim
FollowupID: 671130

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 18:58

Friday, Jan 29, 2010 at 18:58
Spare pair of thongs, chair, fishing rod, hat and sunscreen. Its not that bad.
AnswerID: 401667

Follow Up By: getmethehelloutahere - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:19

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:19
That's what I like to hear, just can't get a sense of how much gear you need to have until you are there
Cheers, Tim
FollowupID: 671131

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 14:40

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 14:40
Hi Tim
Just to put you at ease a bit. I drove all the way up and back. If you were a financial member of EO I have a couple of pictures on my profile. You can get on and off the tele track in a couple of places. At the Hann River Road House a Hyundai two door with four student age curry munchers were so funny waving out their windows. Next they turned up at Weipa I think they made it all the way to the tip on the dev road. Leading up to heading off I was excited and stressed out. But when we got there I was wandering what I was worrying about.
Like others have said tag along with some one else from either Weipa or the Wenlock camping area. I haven't met a 4x4 person not willing to help yet.
Have a great time

Sharon
FollowupID: 671149

Reply By: CJ - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:18

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:18
Many suggested a travel partner.

I agree it is better to have someone with you, but as an alternative (what we always do)

When travelling alone, 90% of the way is quite ok on the OTL. But when we got to Nolans Brook, Gunshot and Palm Creek, we simply waited for another party to turn up. Everybody (most anyway) get out of their vehicles, check it out, walk the creek, etc. You then team up with someone and ask them to wait for you on the other side with snatch strap ready - 90% will eagerly help

CJ
AnswerID: 401763

Follow Up By: getmethehelloutahere - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 21:51

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 21:51
Thanks CJ
FollowupID: 671841

Reply By: Mal R - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 20:37

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 20:37
I went to The Cape in May / June last year up the Old Telegraph Track and came back via the bypass. It was better to tackle the OTT from south to north. There were heaps of graders on the bypass and as we were returning and we met lots of people just starting out on their way up. So I would recommend early June at the latest.

I would also definately recommend a snorkle fitted to the vehicle as some of the creek crossings can be quite deep, but with care, no problem at all.

There seemed to be a bit of a crowd at most crossings, so you just need to watch the guy in front of you and if he makes it over without too much difficulty, follow his tracks, if he doesn't....well, pick another line. LOL

Have fun. It's a great place and not as "remote" as it once was.

Entered a few of the better camp spots up there on Lets-Getaway.comwith some pics. Link at the top.
AnswerID: 401790

Follow Up By: getmethehelloutahere - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 21:50

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 21:50
Cheers mate
FollowupID: 671839

Reply By: Member - Geoff H (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 22:57

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 22:57
Hi Tim,

I was also a little apprehensive about getting to the cape, but a mate of mine bought an old nissan back from up there last year and got by with using one thong and some fencing wire to hold the radiator in place, and 2 sapplings and some big zip ties ($3 each at Archer River) to put the tray back on the ute.

Just tag along behind someone else if you take the OTT.

Regards
Geoff
AnswerID: 401830

Reply By: Steve63 - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 13:26

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 13:26
OTT is not that bad (this is subjective though!). Gunshot is usually the worst and there is a bypass track if you decide it is a bit much. There is a reasonable amount of traffic and if you are stuck somewhere the next person will need to get you out so they can get through. Not a thoughtful approach though.

The crossings can be deep and you won't know how deep until you start. We travelled the track with some people we met on the Batavia downs road. One of these did not have a snorkel. As it was a deisel he worried at each deep crossing. So the snorkel would be prudent if only for piece of mind. Had a great time for two weeks.

Experience counts in these things. You need to be confident of getting out of any trouble you get yourself into. I would do the OTT by ourselves these days. Back then I was a bit nervous about it. We have since crossed the Simpson by ourselfs. It is not recommended to do this but we could not find anyone prior or at Birdsville to travel with. It taught us a lot. Particularly about the usefulness of a long handled shovel and very low tyre pressures! The biggest change was the increase in confidence to think your way out of a problem.

Steve
AnswerID: 402072

Reply By: J C (NQ) - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:54

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 08:54
Hello Tim

We are also looking for travelling companions.

My wife and I intend going to the top in June. We have two weeks, so will either go from 5 to 20, or 12 to 27, starting and finishing in Townsville.

Our vehicle is a fairly standard 2007 Cherokee diesel, but will be getting a snorkel fitted and am looking at getting a power winch, as an option to joining a tag-a-long tour.

Captain Billy's Landing and Chilli Beach are on my wishlist.
(Is it Chili or Chilli?)

Do you have any particular dates in mind?

Regards
John
I'm responsible for what I say,
NOT for what you understand!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 404899

Follow Up By: getmethehelloutahere - Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:19

Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 20:19
Hi John,

We are doing a 6 month trip from Warrnambool, leaving in early April, travelling through the centre and across to Cape York, then back across to do the Kimberley's etc. We are leaving things pretty loose to fit in with weather conditions, stopping where we like for longer etc so i am really not sure when we will be up at the Cape.
We will try and tag along with someone when we get up there. Thanks anyway, who knows we may run into you.
Cheers
Tim
FollowupID: 675174

Sponsored Links