Women better drivers than men: RTA

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:33
ThreadID: 75607 Views:3257 Replies:13 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:42

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 12:42
yes, well they could equally say that 10 year olds are better drivers than anyone else because they haven't had any fatalities whilst driving, the fact that not many 10 year olds drive cars is irrelevant, just as those statistics are.

Questions to ask would be what is the ratio of female drivers to males on the sort of trips where these accidents occur,

How many kilometres are females driving compared with males in the sort of trips the accidents in data refer to?

Then we can possible come to some realistic assessment.

Personally, they scare me! Female drivers that is.
AnswerID: 401731

Follow Up By: malley - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 13:16

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 13:16
I agree that these statistics do need to be investigated a bit further.

Surely the volume of male licenses is greater than female, and

Surely the amount of hours the average male driver spends on the road is far greater than the average female driver (particularly in country hours where transport and industry is dominated by men).

If this is true then you would expect via probability that there would be far more crashes involving men.
FollowupID: 671139

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi_In_Aussie(Wagga) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:30

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:30
Malley

I heard that in NSW at least the licenses issued is 'about' the same - they did quote the numbers during the radio discussion, but I cant recall - but I made the mental note that they were 'about' the same

Agree about the data - needs to be qualified - and as yiou say how many hours, thetype of hours - for example I would suggest that there would be a higher percentage of 'school drop offs' (and one could say that these would be a 'safer' trip - a lot of 50k travel - kids in car so mum is driiving with a greater sense of safety etc) whereas male is doing longer kms - probably under more stressful conditions (keep appointmenst, high traffic times to and from work etc)

But having said al that I have seen some shocking driving from both sexes :-)))))
FollowupID: 671263

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:46

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:46
Yep, I cut em out of cars for too many years, and I'd have to agree that there were more males than females in the drivers seat, but I'd really like to see them publish all the data instead of just taking a snapshot that supports a particular point of view.
FollowupID: 671268

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 13:22

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 13:22
Hi Top End Explorer,

you arent telling me anything new!! I always thought we were. LOL
Women dont start wars either.

Now I await the torrent of abuse I guess!

Cheers Heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 401733

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 14:09

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 14:09
Im with you Heather!

Though such a simplistic analysis is probably a bit dodgy; but I certainly agree about the motivation bit.

BUT there are also a lot of young female drivers who should not be behind the wheel.... doing all the things that their male counterparts do and then some!

On the other hand I think some men are rather one eyed about women drivers, underestimating both their ability and the distances/hours that they drive.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671145

Follow Up By: Nigel Migraine - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 16:39

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 16:39
"Women dont start wars either"

I assume you're not including Margaret Thatcher, Golda Meir and Indira Gandhi to name but three from recent times or perhaps you are ignorant of them?

And let us not forget from 1914-1918 the "white feathers" women would press upon men they passed in the street in order to signify the men's cowardice because they were at home rather than fighting overseas.

I think you need to read a little more history Heather.
FollowupID: 671167

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 16:46

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 16:46
Would you care to educate me as to what wars these three women started?

FollowupID: 671168

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:00

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:00
sorry Nigel maybe I should have put 'many' between start and wars.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671181

Follow Up By: Member - Warwick D (SA) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:16

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 18:16
Greetings Heather,
Women who have started wars recently are, Golda Meir (Israel) Bandaranaika(Sri Lanka), Thatcher (UK). All since the end of the second world war.Sorry to bleep ter your illusion with these facts. It seems to get to the "top" you need to behalve the same, male or female. Warwick
FollowupID: 671186

Follow Up By: Nigel Migraine - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 19:51

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 19:51
“sorry Nigel maybe I should have put 'many' between start and wars”

That would have been much closer to the reality.

However not “many” women are, or aspire to be, the leaders of nations or armies – if they did I have no doubt they would have fought more and more bitter wars than any man is capable of. It is said the female guards in the concentrations camps were far worse than the men.

The reasons women are, generally, not aggressors are intrinsic to the differences between the sexes however it is a popular Politically Correct notion to deny such differences exist although we all know they do. Women are carers and nurturers. Men are hunters and protectors. Nature assigned these roles to us many millions of years ago and we have honed them well. A few thousand years of “civilisation” have changed nothing.

Picture a man and woman, husband and wife perhaps, strolling down a side street to their parked car in the city at 11pm after a pleasant meal at a fine restaurant: suddenly a thug with a knife accosts them and demands money or worse – how will the woman desire the man to react to this? We all know the *real* answer but the Politically Correct will suggest she would prefer the man to hand over his wallet and be safe. Rubbish! She’ll despise him ever after for failing to be *a man* and protect her by defeating the aggressor. Remember the “white feather” women?

This piece in New Scientist makes a comment upon the evolutionary nature of the issue:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg15120481.200-why-women-dont-start-wars.html

It’s easy for women to erroneously take the moral high ground in these matters because no one *expects* them to fight for and protect the community as a whole – they are simply, as nature decreed, intended to protect their offspring.
FollowupID: 671204

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 03:31

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 03:31
Heather

..............................Maggie Thatcher.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671248

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 07:01

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 07:01
Ok - so I must have been too busy and exhausted childrearing our 4 kids (includes twins) as well as working (mostly fulltime) during the 70's, 80's, and 90's to really care too much about what was happening unless it was at home and in my workplace!!! lol

However Nigel I believe you are wrong about a woman wanting the man in to protect her by being aggressive rather than passively handing over his wallet!! Unless of course she wants to see him harmed!
I think that this is something that you and I will just have to agree to disagree about.

Now what was this thread originally about???? It seems I have started a war of my own. lol

Cheers Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671256

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi_In_Aussie(Wagga) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:42

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:42
Heather

" ...you arent telling me anything new!! I always thought we were. LOL
Women dont start wars either. ..."

Try googling:

Cleopatra
Boudicca
Aefelflaed
matilda of Tuscony
Joan of Arc - whilst she might not have started it she certainly kept it going

there are LOTS more examples

and in more moden time lets not forget
Queen Elizabeth
Mrs Thatcher and Falklands and see what you get ;-)

and dont even start me on how many males have got into a war or a fight BECAUSE of a woman :-))))

You gals are just as capable, if not more so, of starting a war/fight as us poor, easily led males

FollowupID: 671265

Reply By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 13:32

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 13:32
I must say I have been in the car with woman driving and have felt very comfortable driving with them, not as impatient as myself, they are more laid back and willing to sit in the traffic and just deal with it where as I think most blokes like myself get frustrated, change lanes, etc and by doing so probably have a higher chance of an accident, put the foot down more. My wife hates driving at the best of times, and is quit happy for me to do all the driving if she had the choice BUT she hates ME driving down Pennant hills road in peak hour if we are heading up the coast as I will change lanes here and there where she is quit happy to just go with the flow, it annoys me as I can see ahead that slowly we are going to be held up by a truck or whatever is going slow where she would sit behind it and just cruise along, I like to see what's going on in front not be blinded by a b double or what ever is blocking my view, and I must say there is a lot more woman driving these days then in my mums day. Have seen plenty behind the wheels of trucks and buses too. Im a shocker for been a back seat driver with my wife (well passengers seat) I have toned down over the years and especially now with a little one in the back seat, but she did learn the other day how to say d#&@head when a bloke dived out in front of me,oops. Often I have had people pull out in front of me and I will say "stupid Bit@#" only to drive up along side of them and it be a bloke, then the wife gives it to me as to why instantly I thought it was a woman driving !!!!!!!LOL Regards Steve
AnswerID: 401734

Reply By: Member - Alan John C (WA) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 13:39

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 13:39
Hi Guys,
I have a tendancy to lean towards Heather on this one it is even proving in the mining sector that women driving our dump trucks spend more time on the job than the male counterpart does due to the fact they do not abuse the vehicle. I have no problem my wife can tow the van while I relax with a cool drink and look at scenery, give them a go guys you just may benefit from it regards Alan.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 401735

Reply By: Member - Axle - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 13:57

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 13:57
G/Day Mate. Back Ten Mins And now look what ya started!!

Overall !

In a auto.....Equal

In a manual...Nope

Cheers Axle
AnswerID: 401736

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 14:21

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 14:21
Couple of comments:

This study was in NSW. It may not be the same Australia wide.

How many kms does the average female drive and how many the average male.

I travel well over 50,000 kms a year. How many females do that type of mileage.

I would not be surprised if the ratio in regards to fatals was also reflected in distance travelled.

For example: When you go for a 4WD trip the men are normally driving and the women passengers aka backseat drivers.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 401739

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 14:30

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 14:30
Besides........we've learnt to get out of there way when we see them coming so its not actually them avoiding the accidents but us. Hahahahaha
FollowupID: 671147

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 14:31

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 14:31
"When you go for a 4WD trip the men are normally driving and the women passengers aka backseat drivers."

Have a closer look. Like most couples in our 4wd club we share driving pretty equally.

And how many women are driving B doubles, road trains and haulpaks - in the case of the latter I understand that women are preferred over men because they look after the truck and hence cost less in down time.

I suspect that many women only claim that they dont like to drive because they just get sick to death of their "better halves" telling them what to do or not to do. Its just easier to get out from behind the wheel and let the "expert" take over. In which case a bit of assertiveness - and some good 4wd training usually does the trick :-))

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671148

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 14:47

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 14:47
"And how many women are driving B doubles, road trains and haulpaks - in the case of the latter I understand that women are preferred over men because they look after the truck and hence cost less in down time."

True........half the amount of work means half the amount of maintenance.
It also means half the production.

LOL
FollowupID: 671151

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 17:06

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 17:06
Now!...Now!....Val.

Theres nothing worse than a woman who makes sense.

Enough of that please....lol.

Cheers.....Lionel.
FollowupID: 671171

Reply By: The roadrunner - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 20:11

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 20:11
If women are better drivers why are so many truckies Men
AnswerID: 401784

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:27

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 21:27
G/Day All

My Cook is a good driver, she has been driving for about 30 years, she started driving Tractors in a paddock, when she was a Teenager and then when she got her license she was driving Bedford Trucks doing fruit deliveries, I have know problems at all when she is towing the Caravan, and one of the main things she learnt was the mechanicals of motor vehicles and their capabilities re braking ect, and their limits, most young women these days wouldn't have a clue about whats under their bums and the limits to what the vehicle can do, I see them every day on the M1 driving like maniacs and at the same time brushing their hair ect, I'm not saying all young women are like that but the majority seem to have a death wish, they have to beat you at the traffic lights or cut in front of you without any warning, ok ok their are blokes like that also, but some of these little cuties have no driving manners at all.

PS. I have seen women start fights not wars. God bless em.

Cheers
AnswerID: 401802

Reply By: Nutta - Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 22:45

Saturday, Jan 30, 2010 at 22:45
I think women drivers leave a trail of chaos behind them, causing the accidents and dont even know it!
AnswerID: 401825

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 03:28

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 03:28
I think that snow and COLD cold has got to you mate, ....lol
Welcome Home , and was good to see you on your day of arrival back in the warm climate,
Everyone listen.. have you ever seen a bloke look like he's P... had a lot to drink, well that's how Steve looked not long after he was back on Aussie soil, or do they call that Jet lag,
Looking forward to seeing a few photo's of the skiing , and if you were not satisfied with your efforts on snow, I'll drive your boat and you can do some more practice skiing on Yellow Water Billabong.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 401850

Follow Up By: Top End Explorer - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 12:29

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 12:29
Yeah that was the result of being awake for 32 hours, no wonder my eyes looked like Pi$$ holes in the snow, pun intended, but don't tell anyone I then drove to Jabiru, I finally went to sleep about 7pm that night.

As for water skiing I can do that as it is level, and not 1.4 kms down hill. lol

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 671320

Reply By: ian - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 18:47

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 18:47
Of course women are better drivers than men!
How many blokes do you know who can drive while they text, put on make -up and turn to talk to friends, all at the same time, while barelling down the freeway!
You have to applaud that.
Ian
AnswerID: 401950

Reply By: Barnesy - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 23:38

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 23:38
Nothing new here. Males have always taken risks, this used to be an asset when defending the family from wild animals, but not anymore.

Just today my sister in law reversed straight into a very large and obvious power pole. No injuries, only a scratch to the car but she cried for 15 minutes because 'she was scared'.

This doesn't fill me with confidence if I'm in the car with her and she gets into a difficult situation.
AnswerID: 401999

Reply By: Wilko - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 08:19

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 08:19
Hi Top end explorer,

Its not a Female v's Male thing, Its a regular driver v's occasional driver thing.

Unfortunatly a number of female dont have the time behind the wheel to build up the skills needed.

Ive seen some clowns on the road and said "female driver" only to find it was a guy.

When you see a lady doing something dangerous, dumb or differenet and you say "bloody lady drivers", you should be thinking "bloody inexperienced drivers'"

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 402024

Sponsored Links