2WD's on the Beach

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 17:51
ThreadID: 7562 Views:5233 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Just got back from 2 weeks camping on Double Island Beach, and I was continuously astounded by the number of people trying to get 2WD cars onto the beach. The wind blew N/E for most of the time, which has the effect of covering all the beach access tracks in very dry powdery sand and making them very tough going even for 4WD's.

I really think that some of these blokes have an over-rated idea of their car's ability.

I came across one character in an early model Fairlane stuck fair in the middle of the 3rd jump up, and after snatching him out, he proceded to tell me that the weekend before he was on Moreton Island going places even the 4WD's couldn't go!

I don't mind giving a fella a hand if he really doesn't know what his car can do, but I draw the line at continually pulling out d@#$heads!

Greg..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 18:05

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 18:05
Greg i used to work for gov busses in Sydney, we had a Dope who drove a bus onto Palm Beach to try to rescue a guy in a 4wd thick as. He later transfered to State Rail as a trainee train driver, one day he decided he needed practice so he took a train from Nth Sydney yards for a drive in AM peak you can imagine the chaosRegards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 32622

Reply By: Goona - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 19:45

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 19:45
Greg,

DI is a great place to see it all. I have been going there now for 15 to 16 years and it is getting more and more hectic every time i go there. I have seen it all, from young fellas doing donuts and rolling it to police with radars and RBTs, peolpe towing huge caravans beind bleep y little subi's and of course they don't make it. I have even seen a Ferrari on the beach. Bolew me away really. If you could afford somethiing like that why not buy a 4x4. I used to lend a helping hand for people that got stuck and I still do to those that are genually stuck but if they are stuck in a 2 wheel drive I wave and keep going. They shouldn't be in that predicament in the first place. Any way I actually avoid it now and go that little further to Fraser where there is less idiots about.

Goona
AnswerID: 32629

Follow Up By: Member - NOBBY - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:26

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:26
I was on DI once and here's this guy in a Combi, Bogged to the axel. I stopped and gave him one end of my snatchen strap. Hooked up my end and proceeded to drive off at a fairly slow pace. As I went I felt the jar and thought "That came out fairly easy". Stopped and looked back and all I could see was his Bull Bar ( with spotties) rolling down the beach after me. He had hooked the strap onto the top of his bull bar. He then tried to blame me for his damage. I unhooked him and left him there. Smart people.
FollowupID: 23366

Follow Up By: GregA - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:14

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:14
Just on Combi's...there used to be a bloke who ran tours up DI using VW MicroBuses and to get off the beach he used to use rolls of carpet, about 3 metres by 1 metre wide, stuck under the back wheels. It worked too!

Maybe I should carry a couple myself!!

Greg..
FollowupID: 23368

Reply By: Member - NOBBY - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:33

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:33
I can assure you this bloke didn't take tours( if he did he catered for everything). He was about 20yo, caftan, long hair( i'm talking bum length), smokin hooch and kept calling me " man".His girl companion sat in the front dazed( I reckon she could'nt get out) and smiled at everything. But then they reckon if you could remember the 70's you wern't there. Seemed a nice bloke though, just could'nt see through the fog.
AnswerID: 32671

Follow Up By: Bazza - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 14:32

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 14:32
Hey Nobby,
That sounds like me and the Mrs twenty odd years ago! Only diffenence now is the hair .... none on me head ... all on me bum!
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 23382

Reply By: kezza - Saturday, Oct 04, 2003 at 14:47

Saturday, Oct 04, 2003 at 14:47
Geeze.. seeing you guys remember the 70s maybe you can remember a time when there were very few 4wds and people had to use 2wds to get through sand and mud and people were happy to give a hand. Dont forget Australia is was a rural community and in the outback 2wd just had to do the job - and it did. And often it was driver skill and nouse as well as the odd tractor which saved the day.

What you are noticing is that there are now "try hards" as my teenage daughter calls them and "wannabe's" (possibly of a lower IQ, but nontheless) (joke joke) out for a bit of adventure.

I know a fairlaine is not the right example from GregA's experience here but lets ignore the real idiots here.

Only because of a lack of experience and or common sense that they get into trouble - how many people these days get to practice getting bogged safely on the farm - who are we to spoil their fun - just as long as they dont kill or injure anyone why not give them a hand? They may have a genuine reason for being on the beach (to them at least).

Yeah I too think they are fools sometimes but at least they are out of the house doing something adventurous and fun.

Im sorry I have to admire the people who have a sense of adventure - there is too little of it as it is nowdays.

In fact I am more symapthetic to a 2wd stuck than a bogged 4wd with an attitude.

Hope you get my drift
Kes
AnswerID: 32760

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 15:40

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 15:40
kes
Having taken 2WD utes into the outback in the 60's & 70's we took a trip out to the Corner in 1988 in a Holden tray top ute, was the biggest hoot to see the wannabies faces as we travelled around, my mate who was with me was only a few months away from brain cancer leaving him dead so it was a case of heck why not!

the Ute had been jacked up, a detroit locker ford 9" diff fitted and we had all the correct gear to get us on the move if we got stuck, most of the older seasoned travellers will know the times when yes 2wd was the only option. would i do it again now? yep! as for the beach, I grew up driving on Stockton beach most summers in old holdens & beach buggies, it holds no interest what so ever to drive a 2WD onto the beach let alone a 4Wd. mind you It can be a lot of fun!

FollowupID: 23808

Follow Up By: kezza - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 23:04

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 23:04
Old Jack
I have many amazing stories of 2wd adventures check some of my previous posts, I dont mention them much these days as people just dont believe some things.
kes
FollowupID: 23857

Sponsored Links