"All The Rivers Run-----Maybe ??????"

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:03
ThreadID: 75628 Views:3941 Replies:6 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
From the Ch 7 News page.......

"Heavy rainfall is tipped for northwestern NSW on Sunday, ahead of possible flooding, a legacy of Tropical Cyclone Olga.

The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) said a low pressure trough associated with the remnants of Olga will result in widespread rain on Sunday night.

There could be local flooding in areas north of Wilcannia and Cobar and west of Walgett from Monday and into the week, the BoM website said.

The State Emergency Service is advising people in those areas to prepare for possible isolation.

Flood warnings are in place for the Darling and Warrego Rivers."

Let's hope the Darling becomes active and delivers some much needed water south from Wilcannia.

Fred.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:17

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:17
Fred,

The Flood Warnings for both those rivers haven't been cancelled from the last cyclone from WA came through around Christmas time.

All those NSW and SA folk are always complaining about QLD stealing their water. Well can I say that WE have NONE. Pretty much Everything north of Condamine in the Murray/Darling Headwater Catchment is dry. The water storage here is below 34% and it doesn't look like it is going to fill anytime soon.

So I hope that rain falls up here as well :))

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 401858

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:28

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:28
la la la 34%!! We yearn for 34%
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 671262

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:43

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:43
your 34% would last longer than ours LOL

Our total capacity is less than 10 000ML
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671266

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:44

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:44
Kev, hopefully you'll get your share out of this rain event if it happens and raise that percenatge a bit. There's plenty others in the same or worse situation unfortunately, as we all know :-((

Coming back up the Central West from Berrigan last Sunday, I heard on the ABC that Orange, just west of the Great Divide from Sydney, is going to level 5 water restrictions. I stopped at Cowra at the train museum C/P and their water supply is tank water.

(Sensational little park BTW for anyone going that way).

If it only rains down here, unfortunately we can't send it "Up" that way LOL.

All I can say is "Send 'er down Hughie" :-)))

C Ya.

Fred.
FollowupID: 671267

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:57

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:57
Fred,

It would be good to see it at about 150% because that will mean a reasonable flow in the river LOL

Plus I am running out of water to go fishing in hehehe Although the less water there is the less distance between fish, which increases my chances especially when the kids are with me.

Council in their wisdom diecided against increasing the water restrictions when we hit 35% instead are going to enforce greater restrictions when we hit 25%.

The number of people here who already break the ater restrictions is astonishing. All I can do is politely tell them that they are breaking the restrictions as "Council" don't want me to enforce it here.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671271

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:23

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:23
Fred & all

Unfortunately Orange has gone back into level 5a (that was on the sign) we saw yesterday as were visiting Orange. The two other major dams in our area Wyangala and Burrendong are down around 7%. Carcoar is the same and Windamere (near Mudgee) is just below 20%.

I thought that Menindee had got a good pickup the other week after that last big couple of downpours but checking on the state apparently it is just starting to rise.

We are OK here at Bathurst but you are spot on Kev regarding water restrictions, the council did impose self regulated restrictions early last year when the dam level went to 34% (I think those figures are OK, memory) and now just about everyone is thinking seriously about water use.

Good to see Lake Keepit is still over 25% and yet Split Rock dam out near Manilla has been under 5% for years now and it has a massive storage area and they don't bring in restrictions until the dam is below 4% (according to local legends) and they were sober at the time.

Regards
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 671278

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:39

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:39
I came up through Urana and Lockhart last weekend, and veeeerrry dry.

Does anyone know when Lake Urana last held water ??? Looks huge, but dry.

Funny sight near their C/P is the Urana Aquatic Centre, set on the banks of a backwater from the Lake. Lots of infrastructure for the making of a decent Aquatic Centre, just one thing missing....not a drop of water within miles LOL.

FollowupID: 671284

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:19

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:19
Gday Kev,
You poor buggers are running out of water and we have never even heard of restrictions, in fact the council still waters when its raining........ apparently its just to hard to turn the sprinklers of. LOL
Now we are about to start drilling for Uranium right next to our only water supply..........bit of bad luck if they punch into the water table hey!

Cheers
FollowupID: 671286

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:10

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:10
Hairy,

Maranoa Regional Council has just announced that the treated water from the Coal Seam Gas wells is going to be pumped back underground to top up the local aquifiers. I don't really see the point as they then have to pump it back up to use it LOL

Here the Western Downs Regional Council, are still negotiating for the companies to treat and supply the towns with the water directly. The water is said to be high in Salts so it needs to be treated which creates another issue, where does the salt end up?? I have heard that they are going to sell the salty brine to another manufacturer for who knows what.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671302

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:41

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 08:41
The Darling at Louth is still Running at 40 odd Gigalitres per day. Hopefully there'll be a top up from the next lot.

AnswerID: 401865

Reply By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:12

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:12
flood warnings
AnswerID: 401868

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 18:19

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 18:19
G'day Mark

We are home again.

Yep, Darling running a banker at Bourke. Road to Louth is closed. Countryside very green and wet all the way from the east coast to Bourke.

Will post some pics soon

Cheers

FollowupID: 671369

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:13

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:13
The sad part about the floods is that in many areas lower down the Darling, there hasn't been any rain, just the high water coming down the river.

That means the country away from the river course is still as dry as a chip, so no stock feed is growing, and there are numerous willy willys and dust storms while the river is running a banker.

A well known EO fella has just come down through Walgett and Bourke in the last day or two and says the grass between Bourke and Walgett is about a metre high

Hope you get some rain up there Kev.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 401869

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:35

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 09:35
Dave,

Was he able to see over the top of it in the X Trail??

There is rain brewing in the west at the moment but I think it is going to miss us and head south between Charleville and possibly Roma (maybe a bit further East)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671282

Reply By: Member - Wamuranman - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:13

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:13
Chec out these synoptic chart forecasts for the next 4 days:

4 Day Synoptic Forecasts

In particular for Tuesday the forecast is:
Tuesday 22:00 EDT
A low should generate heavy rain and storms across central and southern QLD

While these are only forecasts it appears there is some heading for some of the drier areas of Queensland. Lets hope so anyway.

Cheers

AnswerID: 401878

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:39

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:39
I'd like to see it come a bit further East as well and drop some in the Lachlan catchment. Our dam, Wyangala, is at 5.7%

FollowupID: 671290

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:05

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:05
G/Day All

I remember some time back there was a Thread about the lack of rain in different areas, and one of the replys was to look at trying to construct Aqueducts and Pipelines to service the Drought Effected areas, it was scoffed at by a few know it alls, various countries have done this in the past, and succeeded, ok we all know Australia is one of the dryest Continents on Earth, but a few of our nations Scholars and Brains agree that it can be done, that radio commentator Alan Jones has been trying to formulate a plan to at least get our government to look at it, in the Wet Season there is so much water flowing out to sea, just look at the Ord River Scheme, if the Chinese were running this place it would have happened years ago.

PS. I'll get off my soap box now.

Cheers
AnswerID: 401883

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:11

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:11
They have just completed and opened the $185 Million pipe line to Toowoomba, I wonder if this is just the start??

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671304

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:29

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:29
G/Day Kev

It would be great if it was.

Just on the Toowoomba subject, the residents had a Referendum on whether to use Treated Effluent in conjunction with their existing dam storage and it was defeated with a NO vote, but little do they realise that if the Wivanhoe Dam levels drop to a certain level the Water Commission will be pumping Treated Effluent in to that dam which inturn will be pumped to Toowoomba.
FollowupID: 671307

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:56

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:56
hahahahahahahaha

Where do they think Fish go to crap??

Not to mention the wildlife etc that live in the catchment areas for the dams

Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 671316

Follow Up By: Notso - Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 12:37

Sunday, Jan 31, 2010 at 12:37
They could always do what Bradfield Suggested back in the 30s, Drop three QLD Coastal rivers into the Darling catchment with a scheme similar to the Snowys.

FollowupID: 671322

Sponsored Links