Engel MR40 Eclipse

G'day,
Engel MR40F Eclipse (38 litre plastic fantastic).
How does this unit perform.
If somebody has 1, are you happy.
I understand from the spec sheet, it does use more power, so, apart from that ????
Please don't throw your 2 bits worth in from hearsay if you don't have 1.
I have had Engels before and they work well.
This will be a second fridge.
I am actually comparing this Engel against the Waeco C35 about the same capacity. The Waeco is much lighter and has the digital readout which is a plus.
Thanks to anyone that can help out
Harry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dazza62 - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 16:50

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 16:50
Can't help with the Engel but have had a Waeco CF35 now for over 2 years. No problems with it what so ever. Only regret is I should have bought the CF40 or CF50 for a bit more room.
AnswerID: 402101

Follow Up By: Harry - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 18:28

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 18:28
Thanks dazza62,
Now you have me wondering which 1 to buy.
If that was my only problem life would be a breeze aye.
H
FollowupID: 671572

Reply By: True Blue - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:14

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:14
Hello Harry.

My wife and I have one and are totally satisfied with it.

It replaced a Waeco CF50 which we sold with our last car.

Could not be happier with the Engel unit.

We run ours between "1" and "2". Usually closer to "1".

I know one thing Harry. Our engel uses less power than our CF50.

Would not hesitate to recommend one.

True Blue
AnswerID: 402106

Follow Up By: Harry - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 18:26

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 18:26
G'day True Blue,
Nice positive feedback there.
How long you had the Engel ?
A salesperson told us the Waeco 50 was not a good buy, so that confirms sort of why you switched.
I've been told the MR40 has 2 fans, is this so, would you know why ?
That would probably account for the extra power draw maybe.
Do you have the wireless thermometer ?
H
FollowupID: 671569

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 21:36

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 21:36
Hi Harry
What True Blue has just posted is correct. The only reason that they use a little extra power (from memory only about 0.1 amp extra per hour) is because of the extra fan. You will notice that on the MR40 they do not have the same venting and this is to cool the compressor. Having said that, the thermo fans will only operate when the ambient air temperature is over 35 C. Apart from that, they use the same running gear as all other Engel Fridges.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 671615

Follow Up By: Harry - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 22:13

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 22:13
Good on ya Stephen, I knew somebody would know, now 2 more of us know aye TrueBlue.
Ave a good 1
H
FollowupID: 671621

Reply By: True Blue - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 21:48

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 21:48
Apologies for doubling up there. Don't know what happened.

We had the CF50 Waeco for over 7 years and the only problems we had with it were ALWAYS traced back to not enough power to run it. In those days we had a pretty dodgy second battery set up. But once we figured out where we were going wrong the fridge was faultless.

Don't know about 2 fans. Heck I didn't even know it had one.

We bought the Engel during a sale at Melbourne sports/camping store Anaconda nearly 12 months ago for $719 (like I said it was on sale big time that day).

It of course was a replacement for the Waeco and was bought initially for a 3 week trip to Birdsville last July. It was powered by a 115ah AGM 'National Luna'
portable second battery set up. At one stage the vehicle was stationery for 2 /3 days in hot weather (thus no recharging for the second battery) but the built in voltage meter still showed 100% charge at the end of that period.

From my observations it is very efficient, I think it draws less than the Waeco and we just love the way it cools the insides all the way to the lid. The Waeco did not do this.

Suits us fine at present.

True Blue.

AnswerID: 402170

Follow Up By: Harry - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 22:11

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 22:11
Thanks mate,
All taken on board and will make decision soon as Aussie disposals has dropped their price from $1049, to $949, but this includes a cover, set of Locktight containers ($70)and a wireless thermometer and numerous other promotional give-aways, the cover and thermometer would cost about $140 anyway, which we would buy, so that would drop the price to $809 which I find rather tempting. (I really need the Engel cap and stubby holder) :>)
Told the manager I would be back if the feedback I was after was positive enough. So, there you have it.
I'll bet your happy with that battery
By the way Anaconda are doing them for $899 with a lot of give-aways which really weren't what we wanted and no cover or thermometer.
Ave a "Great Aussie day"and happy travelling
H
FollowupID: 671620

Sponsored Links