Canning Stock Route tag-along operators

Submitted: Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:02
ThreadID: 75673 Views:6089 Replies:12 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Anyone have any opinions / knowledge of tag-along tour operators who do the Canning Stock Route & permit campertrailers?.

It looks as though the CSR needs a ‘convoy’ of a few vehicles if it is to be done enjoyably. Our vehicle has limitations with fuel capacity (Jeep CRD 3.0l – 80l fuel tank) & a tag-along may be a way around this issue (may even be cheaper than a long range tank).

Obviously, we would want to take the Tvan so any operator would need to be able to accommodate this (means us joining / leaving the CSR at well 5 – no big deal).

Thoughts & Ideas appreciated.

Cheers, Graeme

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:12

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:12
There is an EO member who regularly does Tag Alongs on the CSR, I'll send him an MM to see if he can answer it for you ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 402105

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:17

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:17
AFAIK they don't allow trailers, Kev...

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 671551

Follow Up By: ginga - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:18

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:18
Thanks Kev

Greatly appreciated
FollowupID: 671552

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:26

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:26
Ed,

Your right I just checked the Basic requirements for them.

Maybe he will be able to offer some advice anyway ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 671554

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:35

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:35
Graeme,

There are tour operators that will allow camper trailers on CSR and I can not recommend any of them.

Going with a tag-along does not mean that someone else will carry fuel for your vehicle, you will still have to carry about 200lt of diesel if you want to take the camper.

Wayne
AnswerID: 402115

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:38

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 17:38
If you are looking at a tag along to overcome your vehicleslimited fuel capacity I think you will find that a tag along wont be the solution you seek.
most of these operators tell you you need either x litres capacity or a fuel range of x kms for the particular trip.
I am not aware of any that will actually carry fuel for you.
if you intend towing why not carry fuel in the trailer.
a tag along will provide the security of a convoy situation and you may find another vehicle on the convoy will carry some extra fuel for you
I carried a few jerrys of petrol for a petrol V8 vehicle on a cape york tag a long when I realised that didnt need to fill the cans with diesel for my own use.
hope you get to do the trip
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 402116

Reply By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 18:05

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 18:05
Graeme

Re the Tvan

I would suggest you go to the blog index search on "Canning" and have a good read, if you have not already done so. There are quite a few video clips as well that show the track and some of the corrugations. I did this over the weekend so I know it is enlightening.

If you still want to take a trailer on the Canning after that GOOD LUCK.

One thing that came across in the blogs was that the condition of the track has deteriorated and is a lot more corrugated than it used to be.

Also long range tanks are not always the answer. Many split when you least want them to. There is a good read to be found on this subject in those blogs.

Flynnie
AnswerID: 402125

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 20:02

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 20:02
G'day Graeme
I would advise you gain the permit to travel the stock route, through the links to the CSR via the ExplorOz web pages.

The permit is very obtainable and useful to have in your posession ~ just in case you are challenged by someone to produce a permit. The someone might be a "Martu Ranger" or a NFWD Association official ~ who may well be your tag along tour operator

I can't say anything positive in regards to towing anything the full length of the stock route, people have managed to tow Tvans and all manner of trailers along the CSR ~ most bail out some where along the track, or have large amounts of grief doing the tow.

If you wish to contact me regarding resupply of perishables, parts and consumables for your CSR run all my details are in my profile pages.

Last season, I made three resupply runs out into the Great Sandy Desert
CSR and Rudall River N/P.
AnswerID: 402149

Reply By: Member - "The Doctor" (NSW) - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 20:29

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 20:29
Hi Ginga,

Try www.djolsen.com

He does the CSR. Dont know about the camper trailers though. I went to Cape York with him. Had a blast. Great tour operator. Drop him a line he's more than helpful.

He got a page on Explore Oz too.

AnswerID: 402154

Reply By: CJ - Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 21:26

Monday, Feb 01, 2010 at 21:26
Graeme

You still need to carry your own fuel -
A tag along does not solve that problem

As far as the TVan goes, although taking a trailer is possible, I doubt if it is 'obvious' - I suggest that in itself need some research and consideration

Cheers

CJ
AnswerID: 402166

Reply By: aimee - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 00:49

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 00:49
Hi Ginga,
Not sure when you are planning to do the C.S.R. but if it is mid-April we are heading up the Stock Route with lots of trailers and camper trailers to carry out some much needed work on the toilets and barbecue rings. We are planning on a three week trip, starting from Wiluna. If you are at all interested, get back to us.
AnswerID: 402194

Follow Up By: ginga - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 10:01

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 10:01
Hi aimee

Thanks for the reply

Timing is very open & we could do mid-April at a push.

Can you provide some details
FollowupID: 671685

Reply By: aimee - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 11:00

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 11:00
Hi Graeme,
The trip is set down to start on the 17th April to the 9th May. At this stage we have 7 or 8 vehicles going, all pulling trailers with equipment in them or camper trailers. The trip is to "modify" the toilet at Well 6 and do some camp ground tidy up, followed by some finishing touches on the toilet at Durba Springs, which was reconstructed last year. Then on to Georgia Bore to modify the toilet there. There is only about four days work to be done in all and the rest of the time will be left for enjoyment of the great outdoors with people that have travelled the Stock Route on many occasions. If this still interests you feel free to call me on; 0428930319
Aimee
AnswerID: 402237

Follow Up By: ginga - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:18

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:18
Thanks Aimee

Timing probably isn't quite right for then, but I do really appreciate your very generous offer.

Are you part of a group that does this 'maintenance' work on the CSR? Are you associated with the CSR Centenary people?

Good luck & have a great trip.

Cheers, Graeme
FollowupID: 671754

Follow Up By: aimee - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 00:55

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 00:55
Hi Graeme,
No, we are not part of the Centenary group, but I am a member of the Track Care W.A. volunteer group. I personally have been going up and down the Stock Route for the past ten years and have been involved in several restorations and clean ups. This trip this year is most likely the last one for us. It's time to go and see some other part of Australia.
FollowupID: 671870

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 14:36

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 14:36
ginga

No. 1 rule in desert travel..........BE SELF SUFFICIENT, IN EVERYTHING !

The Canning is a relative easy run, provided you do your homework.
Convoys more that 3 or 4 vehicles on the CSR would be more of a problem when it comes to camping up

The main thing you have to remember is to take it easy, drop your tyre pressures, to 15 psi, and do not listen to the knockers, about towing on the CSR.

Having said that, you will need to have a good idea, as to what economy your vehicle, towing and under a load.

You will have to do some trial runs in your 4B, and camper in tow, to work out your economy. We budgeted on 4 km/lt, and got plesently suprised, remembering that towing may 1/2 your economy, or at least drop it by 1/3.
Our 4.2 TD Patrol and Trak Shak CT, only used 250 lts of diesel to get from Glenmaggie Station to Well 23, where we took on another 120 lts, and that got us over to Marble Bar via Kunawarratji, (we needed no fuel there) , Carowine Gorge, Ell Pool, and Nullagine.
On the trip down from Hall's Creek, we only used 250 lts..back down to Kunawarratji.

We actually did better in the CSR than some of the other places, as we were just ticking along, taking it easy..

We carried 340 lts all up. so we had plenty in reserve.

You can email me, and i will help you as muck as I can.

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 402276

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 14:37

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 14:37
Glenmaggia STATION

Der me
Carnegie Station it is
Cheers
FollowupID: 671737

Reply By: ginga - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:16

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:16
Thanks everyone

Tremendously informative & generous replies which are greatly appreciated.

Issue remains one of self reliance specifically in terms of fuel needed. Option of larger tank just changes the problem to where do you put the spares.

If I could be sure to get better than 20l per 100Kms then the problem goes away with the 160l I can carry.

Anyone have an opinion on what a Jeep GC 3.0l CRD towing a Tvan would be likely to get? :)

Thanks again
AnswerID: 402285

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:29

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:29
ginga
please do not go on what others might think....

Advisory only........http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/TrekFuel_All.asp

Best thing is to go test it yourself..

Cheers Bucky
FollowupID: 671942

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 19:17

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 19:17
ginga
Sorry I meant this to be a follow up.
How long is a piece of string. What will the track conditions be like? How big a load will you be carrying, apart from towing? How hard are you going to push? What sort of tyres, and what pressures will you run? Will you strike a headwind? All these things will affect your fuel consumption. AND, after you've worked out a rough guesstimate add 50% for unforseen contingencies.

teege
AnswerID: 402485

Sponsored Links