Most Readable Travel/Caravan/4WD Mag ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 10:10
ThreadID: 75700 Views:3892 Replies:12 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
The childbride runs the local small town library & has asked if I would canvas the
knowledge of EO for Mags to add to the library subscription list in the general
categories above. Currently have "On The Road" which is widely read & a good
travel mag IMHO. Also "Overlander" which I dont rate very highly, too Tojo
biased & most articles are no more than plugs for the major sponsors gear.
So we are looking for a better 4WD mag, if one exists ,& perhaps a caravan mag
that covers some touring aspects. What is your recomendation? Only condition
is must be monthly publication. Thanks.......oldbaz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 11:24

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 11:24
I read 4wd action from time to time
AnswerID: 402239

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 14:48

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 14:48
Thanks, I am not familiar with it but will check it out...oldbaz.
FollowupID: 671740

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 11:32

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 11:32
Hi Oldbaz,
I think the NRMA have a few magazines under their umbrella, if I remember right besides the "open road", there are ones on caravanning & RV's also classic cars.

Not sure about the publishing dates.

William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 402240

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 12:02

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 12:02
Oldbaz
Caravan & Motor Home mag comes out on a monthly basis, has some good stories/reports in it, on occasions, on places to travel to.
Also has reports on caravans and M/Homes, interestingly though, have never read where they have slated a van, and we all know there are some bummers out there.
Cheers
Baz (younger, i hope)
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 402245

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 14:54

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 14:54
Thanks, younger Baz, I need to travel 60k to a decent newsagent so will check it
out, along with other leads. You are right about a lot of reviews...the editors are
most reluctant to criticize vans, 4bys etc, while other articles are poorly disguised
advertorials....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 671744

Reply By: Steve63 - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 13:28

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 13:28
I think you will be out of luck with the 4wd mag. IMO none of them are worth much any more. The articles are basically adds for products advertised in the mag. I have a look to see if they have mended there ways every now and again. I'm still waiting.

Steve
AnswerID: 402261

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 14:57

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 14:57
Steve, I fear you may be right. I havent checked them out for a while, while
heartily sick of Overlander, the others may be no better.....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 671746

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 13:37

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 13:37
hi oldbaz
imho caravan world is a reasonable mag cover caravans /motorhomes/outdoor adventure/and new products
4x4 australia imho is an imformative mag for that category

but there is a huge range of 4wd mags and i have read them all ,over a period of many years

i find they pretty well criss/x on topics past and future and do a lot of re- runs across the same areas
just change the wording a bit to make it sound a bit different story eg (ron moon and 4x4 aust) is notorious for that
they keep going over the same formular year after year just like a current affairs does on the idiot box and hope that no one notices or remembers
for what it;s worth cheers
AnswerID: 402264

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:18

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:18
I have to agree, but thanks for the leads. I suppose it is hard to come up with new stuff, but I find it annoys me that most articles try to give the impression that
you need to spend a fortune to be able to tour Australia. Overlander have just completed a series on fitting out a "cheap" 4BY for outback touring for a retired couple on a tight budget. They buy a $10k Paj & then bolt on a heap of sponsors
gear....no costing on any of it...I reckon at least $15k worth. Nice truck of course,
but now over capitalised & way out of the league of the budget traveller. Oh dear,
my miserable side is showing again...:)))......oldbaz.
FollowupID: 671755

Reply By: DesF - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:19

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:19
Hi, Always read "4 X 4 Australia", good all round magazine , lots of touring articles as well as the usual add ones.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 402288

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:57

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 15:57
I have given up on buying any of them; too many $$$ for too many ads and bugger all else. Ocassionally pick up 4x4 mag to read on the plane when travelling,
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 402299

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 20:30

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 20:30
For me Overlander is the best Ozi 4x4 magazine of a bad bunch. While it has the usual adds bias it does give a broad coverage of competition, touring, clubs & equipment reviews.
For quality reading the "Outback" magazine has some great destinations & stories on people but not 4x4 based.
Cheers Craig........
AnswerID: 402353

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 23:48

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 23:48
over lander loses too many ponts for being the opasite of "best Ozi 4x4 magazine "

too many articles about international travel.

probablly 4x4 australia is the best of a bad bunch
FollowupID: 671861

Reply By: The Boss - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 20:59

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 20:59
It doesnt really matter what people think of these mags, what your after is mags that will sell. 4x4 action is the top selling 4x4 book, and now produces a few other travelling related mags also. Including i think a camper trailer one, camping with 4wd mag and also the caravan and motorhome on tour mag. All the same company and all are very large sellers. Have a look at them all, i think they can be found here at magstore.

No affiliation or whatever. I read most of them, and believe what i want to believe. Get some good subscription deals also with these lot.
AnswerID: 402361

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 13:57

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 13:57
What we really want is mags that people want to read. While Overlander has a
reasonable following, readers are asking if there is a better one, hence this enquiry, & they also want a caravan type mag....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 671933

Reply By: Member - William H (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 21:05

Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 21:05
Good evening Old Baz

All i do is go into the news agent over the road at Eaton Fair and have a look at the crap on the stand's.......read one or two....then leave....i go back home and open E,Oz and get all the info you need for a trip,also a lot of good stories from the blogs, and a lot of laughs.when you wanto ask a question....You get a lot of good answer's, from a lot of different members, also someone will help you out to fix a problem, if you have one,or they will tell you where to go to get it fixed, or find the part...........You cant get that out of the crap magazines on the shelf in the news agents. ExplorOZ is the place to be.See if you can get the Library to sign up to Exploroz and then who ever want's some info can be directed to the site,lot cheaper than wasting the Money on crap magazines.....And when it's time to turn off the box.............I still have my money.

Cheers for now...WilliamH...Bunbury...WA.
AnswerID: 402363

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:06

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:06
G'day William, you are preaching to the converted here re EO. I agree wholeheartedly with all you say. I am already printing out cards with the EO site
address that the bride hands out in response to such queries. The mag budget is
set by a higher authority but the choice is negotiable. Locals have to travel 60k to
browse any sort of reasonable mags & such trips are usually business related
with little time to spend on such things, hence the interest in library mags.
I , like you, went to EO for some answers. cheers....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 671937

Follow Up By: Pete Jackman (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 22:57

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 22:57
Rather than print your own cards, they have them to give away here - an email to David and Michelle may result in a good supply.

Regards

Pete
FollowupID: 672011

Reply By: John and Lynne - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 09:16

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 09:16
There is not much to choose between any of these magazines and they go up and down over time as writers or policies change. However your wife is looking for magazines to put in a library for the benefit of people who can't or won't pay regularly for them.
We suggest youconsider suggestions here and talk to a good newsagent about what is popular in your general area. Perhaps ask library customers to nominate favourites. She will want to know that people will want to borrow which ever ones the library subscribes to. A subscription can be changed after a year or two if any one turns out to be a real dud.
We are actually happy to borrow any of them from our library. Most have something interesting in them even if the whole magazine is not worth the price to us! John and Lynne

AnswerID: 402426

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:14

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:14
Thank you for your input. The post really arose due to patrons asking if a "Better" 4WD mag was available & if there is one pertaining to caravan touring
in general. There is no problem getting trial subscriptions so getting rid of duds
is not an issue. The biggest problem is the initial selection. "On the Road" &
"Outback" are very popular , Overlander is read but my librarian is asked... Is this
the best there is ?. cheers...oldbaz.
FollowupID: 671938

Reply By: HGMonaro - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 16:10

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 16:10
I was going to say "On The Road"...

I have browsed a mag in the newsagents that is a bit of an advert for RM Williams gear but has interesting looking articles about country towns, places and people. Can't remember the title I'm afraid, but it's the sort of thing that would suit a library... something you'd like to read but not willing to buy yourself!
AnswerID: 402463

Sponsored Links