O-ring prtector additives.

Submitted: Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 07:45
ThreadID: 7572 Views:1478 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
After replacing 2 o-rings on these silly little end caps at the end of each bank of the engine (an hour and a half for each cap). My old man suggested i put in this additive that he swears by. It looked like it was in a wynns kind of bottle but it was to prolong the life of o-rings. Is this a good idea or is it a croc of crap. Each o-ring was so brittle i could get them off with out them splitting in 3. Not sure if this is expected as the car has only done 72k.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:11

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:11
The stuff your using is bacicaly a rubber softener.Its also used in automatic transmissions and power steering pumps and power steering boxes.Its effectiveness varies on the underlying reason for the o-ring or rubber seal leaking.
I once had a rear main seal leak on Ford V8 and after some nightmarish quotes to fix it,a mechanic suggested a can of Bardahl auto trans recondioner in the motor.It took about 1500-2000 klm for it to work but it slowed a 1/2 ltr a week into an occasional drip.As I said before it depends on why it is leaking.It wont replace worn or broken seals ,it will only only soften them.
AnswerID: 32678

Sponsored Links