esperance to kununurra

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 02, 2010 at 23:59
ThreadID: 75721 Views:2917 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there ... we've used this site to gain so much info. I've been amazed at everyone's knowlege and willingness to help out ... Now time for us to post a question!
Call us mad, but we're wanting to travel from Esperance up north in the middle of the year with .... 4 children (2 -10 yo) in a Jayco swan outback. Looking to take 3 - 4 weeks.

We have friends in Perth, Dongara, Geraldton, Fitzroy Crossing and Kununurra.
Have done plently of camping with the kids both with/without power and water so are ready for both so long as we know what to expect. Kids are good travellers (have to be... Perth to Esp - 7 hrs)

My big question (finally!) is how far can we realistically get with the kids (without feeling we spent our whole holiday in the car!). What is everyone's opinions on best route and how to break the trip up/must sees/good camping etc, all with kids in mind!

I really want to get the kids involved in helping plan the trip, but want to have an idea of what is realistic for us to do beforehand!

Thanks
K

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 01:08

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 01:08
Gday well to answer to your question this is purely personal preference and everyone is different . We do long drives to cut out the car time and more time doing the good stuff.From Perth we leave at 0200 am and drive through to a camp site at Barradale south of nanutarra road house usually off the road by 1600 hrs up early again and head for willare road house camp there the night and then if you get up early again you can get to Kunnunarra they are huge days but they are do able and at a safe speed . It depends on your children and how you keep them entertained . You only have 4 weeks i think you said well thats not alot of time so you have no choice but to do the long drive or it will feel like its taken most of your holiday to get up there and back. Like i say we have done this but its alot of kilometers. Good luck safe travells.
AnswerID: 402406

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 01:41

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 01:41
Hi K

I take it that you are visiting your friends in the named places, so it is really from Geraldton onwards that you needs advice. Your brook must be well trained. Travelling with mine was torture.

If you use the trip planner on goseeaustralia.com.au you can compare routes. Select Geraldton to Port Hedland, after which you have virtually no route choices, then run it putting in via Tom Price. This is a much more scenic drive, and takes you through Karajini - worth a couple of days stay. According to the planner it only adds 3 hours to a normal road speed trip (not counting the sight seeing of course). When we were at Karajini people were doing the climbs down into the Gorges with toddlers. Alternatively try the planner via Meekatharra.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 402408

Reply By: zolle - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 01:41

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 01:41
700km in 7 hrs towing a Swan Out Back very good going.
I'd suggest you look at the quickest way to Kunnunura via Gt Northern Hwy either via Hyden and North via which ever road looks quickest or via Kal and North heading for Meekathara. Your return can then be easier on the coast road visiting your friends.
Cheers
AnswerID: 402409

Reply By: bkbjans - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 16:11

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 16:11
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I didnt know about the trip planner so I'll definitely have a look at that!

A friend also suggested flying one way with the kids and hubby driving it ... not sure he'll go for that idea though! (I wouldn't really want him doing those big k's by himself anyway)

As for the 700km in 7 hrs we're not usually towing. We also go through Harrismith and head into south of Perth so only have about 630km I think. Kids are used to one quick stop ... they realise the quicker we get back on the road, the quicker we get there now!
AnswerID: 402464

Sponsored Links