Help with wiring a reverse camera

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 12:57
ThreadID: 75726 Views:15675 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a reverse camera and monitor kit ( 7inch screen one) from ebay (95soarer) just wondered if anyone has successfully wired on up.
It comes with instructions but the kit has more wires than mentioned on the instructions which is a bit confusing.

from the camera there is 2 wires but on the instructions it shows 3 ( 1 yellow video, 1 red 12v and 1 black ground).
I have the yellow video wire to run to the monitor and a wire with a red plug which says +12v but no ground, does it not need one.
The red 12v plug has a different connector on it compared to the normal video/audio type plugs and is supposed to connect to the reversing light. how does this connector work. I thought it would all be just wires and not actual plugs.

the monitor has the video plug, green wire to connect to reverse switch, black ground and a red 12v. the red 12v wire has a connector on the end and then the wire comes off and goes to another connector....its all confusing

If anyone has wired these up and can help i would be very grateful.
Thanks
Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 13:31

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 13:31
Yes Ive bought cameras off him and they are pretty simple.

Usually they have RCA plugs on them but a description of them would help

Can u scan the instructions and PM them to me and i will help.

Its rwo years since I installed mine and had a different make screen and had to make patch cords for it

Also the make and model of vehicle makes things easier.

I had mine on a van and ran the 12v off a taillight It can earth through one side of the yellow

The green usually goes to a wire that runs to the reversing lights and gets picked up in the footwell depending on the vehicle.

The red 12v on the monitor can be a live on all the time or from an ignition switched feed Also the camera can have dual power feeds to have it on all the time as on a van when travelling.

Have mine like that with a switch on the dash

Email me at graham-h@iinet.net.au

AnswerID: 402449

Follow Up By: Tony - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:21

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:21
Hi Graham,
Thanks
Its all starting to make a bit more sense now.
Ive figured out where all the wires go and the extra ones are to run another camera or dvd player.

this might be a stupid question as I havent yet had a look, but how do you know which wire in the footwell runs to the reversing light.
We have a 2009 Navara D22.

Cheers Tony

FollowupID: 671939

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 18:03

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 18:03
The revering light will be activated by a switch controlled by your gearshift. Take off the surrounds and it is easy to locate and tap in too. Either that or run a wire from your reversing lights.

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 671964

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 18:19

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 18:19
Much easier to hook into the wire in the loom easier to get at as well

Someone on the Navara forums will know.

Would take me half a day to run a wire neatly to a reverse light

FollowupID: 671966

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 17:17

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 17:17
You either buy a manual or google the Navara forums and ask there

If you want a diagram to have dual power feeds mail me for the diagram

Cheers

AnswerID: 402469

Reply By: PeterInSa - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 17:35

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 17:35
Tony,
Prior to my install I set up all the connections camera/monitor etc and had it working on the bench. Then all you got to do is duplicate it with longer cables etc.

Peter
AnswerID: 402472

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 00:36

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 00:36
i think it is ayellow wire with 2 silver spots . on the passenger side ,
FollowupID: 672028

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 10:42

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 10:42
The camera gets its earth return via the yellow video cable shield.

"the monitor has the video plug, green wire to connect to reverse switch, black ground and a red 12v."

- the red wire from the camera and green wire from the monitor connect to the Reversing Lights

- the Monitor Red should go to Ignition or Accesory - I assume the Monitor has 2 video inputs and the green wire changes over to the reverse camera. If you only use one input, connect both red and the one green wire to teh Reversing Light.

- Connect Black to a good ground.
AnswerID: 402606

Sponsored Links