New Tap/Tapers on Gas valves? Superchargers 4 Cruisers?

Submitted: Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 10:34
ThreadID: 7574 Views:2367 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy all!

Firstly, what a pearla website. Heaps of usefull goss.
Um, I'm a bit of a pleb mechanic doing his best on a '84 60 series cruiser, trying to set it up for a trip around Aussy next couple years. A mechanic (on passing) advised me that for my 'Dual Fuely', I should replace the taps/ tapers on my valves every ~20k or so. Does anyone know if this is the go/ recommendations or shed some light on the matter?

Also, has anyone whacked on a Blower to 2F/3F motor for xtra kick? If so, did it take much to work out the settings & is it reliable/ doesn't cause any extra problems?

Cheers all

Rowen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruisergxl - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 14:09

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 14:09
Hi Rowen,

I think that is a general suggestion for all LPG conversions. LPG converted engines run hotter than petrol and are more likely to burn the valves. Not sure about changing the tappers regardless, check the valve clearances first and see if they are in spec and then adjust/replace as necessary.

I'm no expert on this, could be the blind leading the blind here!

Cheers,

Chris

AnswerID: 32694

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 17:25

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 17:25
Rowen
Drive it into the ground. Dont change anything but the oil regularly and plugs/points/leads. If you are serious about more power, cheakout Marks 4wd conversions for a 5 litre 308 or 5.8 chev conversion. If you want to make it more reliable, put extracters onit and electronic ignition aswell as a electric fuel pump.
If you havnt got one under there, put a oil drip feeder into the inlet (think they are called valve savers) and use straight diesel in it instead of that 20 dollar per litre oil.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 32712

Reply By: colin - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 17:25

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 17:25
have a blower on my nissan really great . Have heard of problems with tojo motors with blowers having the harmoic balancer letting go which takes out the radiator fan and hub, but not sure which model motors. Col
AnswerID: 32896

Reply By: Rowen - Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 20:17

Thursday, Oct 09, 2003 at 20:17
Thanx for your responses guys!

Um, you hear alot of mixed reports about proper maintenance for GAS engines.
Like Andrew said, as long as you have the correct (Stainless Steel) valves added in your conversion, you can run your rig on LPG 24/7 eh? My '84 2F motor was apparently made 2 handle unleaded aswell as leaded, so I've been told its fine. The guy b4 me tho was gonna add Moreys Lubrication system ( 2 the valves? ).
Should i still flush thru the occassional leaded ( ive been told its a 'dirtier' fuel tho )? Do I change the valves ( does that make a 'ping' sound? when its time to change these )? Is Moreys the go?
I've got xtractors on the old girl, added HiClone on a m8's recommendation & got a Unifilter high performance air filter, but do electronic ignition & electric pumps really make that much difference? Do they argueably improve reliability or perormance?

Um, geez Col, radiator fan & hub been taken out! sounds a little scary eh? anyone else heard this or know anymore about Blowers on Cruiser 2f engine? A mechanic m8 of mine reckons its worth a shot.

Um, I wanna do up my 60 series Tojo ( on a budget ) 'cos I luv em. So, any ideas, feedback from anyone else reagrding engine performance & reliability would be appreciated! Especially if its not 2 xpensive!

Cheers & forever live the 60 tojo's!

Rowen
AnswerID: 33274

Sponsored Links