2003 jayco eagle

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 21:19
ThreadID: 75745 Views:10973 Replies:16 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all,
I am looking at spending about 25k on a campervan or caravan. I have been looking at a Jayco Eagle 2003 model, my only concern is if they are known for their leaking, the last thing i need is my 3 year old to be sleeping and get wet by the rain etc. can anyone give me some pro's and con's for this model ? If the model isnt the best i am open to suggestions as this is a new feild for me, i am finding it hard to find bunks in caravans like i grew up with as a kid......thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wilko - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 21:39

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 21:39
Hi Finny,
Going thru the same thing at the moment.

Northstar sofala has a model with double beds and bunks.

If you search via Bunks as a keyword you'll find heaps, Jayco Freedom 2002 model at Canberra jayco for 20k is one for example.

Dont know a lot about the Jayco eagle.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 402525

Reply By: finny - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 21:49

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 21:49
hey wilko,
havent seen those ones but i will have a look, i just searhed the trading post and seen for 24k you can get a brand new coromal camper f400, looks like a nice camper, i am just really worried about leaks etc. i rememeber the old ones that aunts and uncles had they always leaked but i am sure they have changed tthe quality of the canvas these days..well i hope....
AnswerID: 402530

Reply By: swampy66 - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 22:19

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 22:19
Ive got an Eagle that age and haven't had any leaking issues - we have camped in plenty of rain. Including 2 months in the QLD rain with an infant.

Saying that - when it rains most of the windows need to be zipped up. A newer set of bed end flys with sides and a broader top cover would allow us to leave more windows open during rain.

Also - you should only be paying around $10-$15k for one.

Myself, next time i would spend a couple of extra bucks and buy a better quality Coromal or a Goldstream - we have run ours into the ground through wear and tear and its not held up too well.

Have fun

AnswerID: 402536

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 22:22

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 22:22
Finny,

have you considered the Goldstream campers as an alternative to Jayco? A bit more expensive but the build quality and fitout is far better. My family have had a couple of Eagles over the years (Outback model) and it takes a while to iron the bugs out of them. I was impressed with the Goldstream.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 402538

Reply By: Scott C (Coolum - QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 22:48

Wednesday, Feb 03, 2010 at 22:48
Hi Finny,

There is a Windsor rapid that has a bunk option that may be worth a look.

Regards Scott
AnswerID: 402545

Reply By: muzzgit - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 00:24

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 00:24
While the Goldstream is better built ---- chassis and cupboards etc; I'm fairly sure the canvas is the practically same as Jayco.

For the money I cannot justify the added expense of the Goldstream over the Jayco unless you intend doing some serious 4WDriving, in which case, in my opinion, both are too wide too heavy and not practical.

We have a Jayco outback DOVE, and have also had a Jayco outback FINCH and PENGUIN. Water leaking was never an issue.

DUST? well now that's a whole different kettle 'o fish!

Cheers,

MUZZ
AnswerID: 402555

Reply By: Simo & Stace - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 00:47

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 00:47
Hi Finny,

We are traveling Australia (now 4 months into our trip) and have a 2003 Coramal Pioneer Silhouette 420, which is similar to the Jayco outback Eagle. They are a great design and would be great for a family. Our Coromal hasn't leaked so far, endured a Adelaide winter with no dramas.

We just met some people with a 2003 Eagle outback model and have just learnt that their winding mechanism has just let go 2 weeks into their round oz trip. But that could happen to any van really.

Another thing to think about would be the wind factor. If it's windy the canvas sides and the roof all rock and roll , which in high wind can be a little un-nerving and a sleepless night.

If you need any more advice just ask and are happy to answer

Cheers Simo
AnswerID: 402558

Reply By: Beaross - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:25

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:25
I also have an Eagle (2001 model). Its been in some very wet conditions, heavy rain etc, and never leaked at all. I have full confidence in its waterproofness.

Dave
AnswerID: 402570

Reply By: luckymum - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 09:45

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 09:45
Hi finny,

We just bought a Windsor Rapid for 19k. Pop top with beds at each end, not bunks. I had trouble finding vans with bunks.

We were looking at a swan or eagle for a while there but a few people put us off buying one. I hated the thought of the constant winding up and down, I also read about the leaking issue, the low benches and lack of cupboard space. I think this model would be great for a weeks camping here and there but in the end it wasnt suitable for us doing such a long trip.

Im happy with what we bought for our trip around OZ. It means we can stop for lunch without having to wind up to gain access to the fridge/kitchen. For a quick overnight stay we just pop the top and put out the beds and its done.

Good luck with your decision
AnswerID: 402592

Reply By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 15:19

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 15:19
Hi Finny,

I was looking at a Jayco Eagle last year. I think the issue about leaking was due to the roof that is made in two sections. If people (or kids) had climbed on the top of them, this had caused the join to come apart a bit, and therefore leak in wet weather. I think that 2009 models onwards are made with a one-piece roof.

I didn't end up buying a Jayco, I bought a camper trailer instead mainly because I wanted to do a lot of 'off road' camping trips.

Good luck with your choice.

Leanne
AnswerID: 402650

Follow Up By: finny - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 15:57

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 15:57
thanks all for your input it is much appreciated. I have been out all day today looking and really liked the Windsor Rapid although this was $30k new i am sure i can find a second hand one a bit cheaper. 'luckymum' where did you find yours online or in a sales yard?
One thing i did learn today is about the bed flys you can get they seem like a great idea also how some have a hard top cover and dont really need the bed flys, can anyone comment on these two features?
FollowupID: 672123

Reply By: briann532 - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 20:41

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 20:41
Our Jayco Hawk 2009 model only cost $29,000 with heaps of extras...........

Now I know a lot of posts have been made over the years in regards to leaks and dust.

Leaks............. only if you have a hole in the canvas....You should also pay the extra and get the bed flys. great for shade and rain. You can have the windows down and not get wet. BONUS.

As far as dust.................... Mine is now totally dustproof for a mere cost of around $200.00
Some framed dust covers over the vents, put the plug in the sink, and replace those cheap rivets in the clamp that hold the roof down with some stainless nuts and bolts and hey presto.............Thousands of K's dust free for the family and me :):):)

Replace the lights with led globes and you have one great long range tourer.

Good luck with whatever way you go.
Brian
AnswerID: 402695

Reply By: phil fez - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 21:03

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 21:03
finny i have a 2008 jayco eagle for sale if interested for around 25k annexe ,fiama awning plus extras included
thanx phil
AnswerID: 402701

Reply By: phil fez - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 21:06

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 21:06
finny i have a 2008 jayco eagle offroad for sale if interested for around 25k annexe ,fiama awning plus extras included
thanx phil
AnswerID: 402702

Reply By: nowimnumberone - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 21:34

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 21:34
we have an 01 hawk that i think is the same size etc just a different lay out and never had a leak problem yet camped a fair bit in the rain and the daughter spent last winter living in it also with no leaks
cheers
AnswerID: 402717

Reply By: John & Marls - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 22:06

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 22:06
Hi,
We have a Jayco Eagle 1998 model, it is still in great condition we have taken it everywhere. Done some big trips in it with 2 kids. Birdsville track, Strezlecki Track, Arkaroola, Innamincka across the Plenty highway plus lots of other trips on plenty of gravel roads, and it hasn't missed a beat. We have done an estimate total of 50000kms towing the camper, honestly we would find it extremely hard to part with because it has never let us down in anyway.

As far as keeping dry as long as the canvas section is still waterproof it will keep you very dry, it will be even better if you had the flys over the beds.

I will agree with others that is a little rich (expensive) for that year model, however the jayco campers do seem to hold their value.

Goodluck in finding what you want.

AnswerID: 402728

Reply By: luckymum - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 16:14

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 16:14
Hi finny,

We just bought our Windsor Rapid on RV point. I think the ad is still there to give you an idea of what 19K gets you. Search Windsor Rapid in NSW.....its still there for sale for 21K, luckily he accepted our lower offer.

Cant wait to get away in it next month for a trial run before our big trip in July.
AnswerID: 403270

Sponsored Links