Thoughts on a chev 6.2L V8 diesel in a 60 series toyota.

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 22:14
ThreadID: 75783 Views:9325 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,looking at a 60 series cruiser for sale in another state with a chev 6.2 litre V8, which was installed 5 years ago,at the time the gear box was reconditioned,both diffs reconditioned,car resrayed with 2pak paint,I've asked for a rwc report and a pre purchase inspection report, which was agreed to. I hope to have these in the next few days. This man has owned the cruiser for the last 15 years. After a long chat he sounds quite genuine to me, he is selling due to purchase of a luxury 4x4. It will be sold with in rwc, the cruiser comes with modification and compliance plates in place under the bonnet. What sort of life span can you expect from a 6.2 chev V8, broadly speaking ? I'm thinking that this cruiser is a good platform for a 4x4 to tour in and enjoy as a weekend day tripper... Your thoughts please on re registering it in vic ? Thanks in advance for your help...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: casper - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 23:24

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 23:24
Hi Bob, assuming the car has never been registered in Vic, l am pretty sure you need a VASS to register the car in Vic. Not just a RWC or (other states)Engineers certificate. I would speak to VicRoads before going any further. Good luck
AnswerID: 402743

Follow Up By: On Patrol & TONI - Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 20:12

Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 20:12
Vic will not recognise the Chevy mod for NEW modifications currently, according to VASS regulations re emmisions laws. I cannot say if an old modification pre emission laws would be permitted there.

Assuming that it is to be regisered in Vic.
Cheers Colin.
FollowupID: 672406

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 23:41

Thursday, Feb 04, 2010 at 23:41
G'day Bob,
The 6.2 is justan earlier version of the 6.5.....which is what my Patrol has had in it since it was brand new (2000). Mine has done 245,000klm and has been very reliable.
They are a simple old fashioned lump of a motor and if treated correctly (same for all engines), they will run for a very long time.

There is a wealth of info on the following couple of web sites:

4WD Action forum

The diesel page (USA based)

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 402750

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 08:00

Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 08:00
Yep same as what Roachie said, the 6.2 will (like most engines) go for a long time if serviced correctly. Change the oil every 5k, clean fuel etc and it will go and go, basic simple motor.
The 6.2 in my Humvee has done approx the same k's as Roachies 6.5 but is now 22 years old and spent the first 15 years of its life in Saudi Arabia running around in an extremely dusty environment.
I can get down as low as 14l/100k fully laden out of the Humvee and typically 15-16l/100k.
In a cruiser it should do even better as it is lighter and slightly more aerodynamic ;-))
Parts are cheap, much cheaper than comparable jap parts, last year I replaced the injection pump, injectors, timing chain, water pump, harmonic balancer, new belts and a gasket/seal kit for under $1k not including my labour prior to a 4 month/20k trip over to WA. Was cheaper to replace the IP and injectors from the US than to have them serviced locally. Just emailed the numbers off the pump and injectors and a week later the new ones turned up built to the correct specs.
FollowupID: 672246

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 08:37

Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 08:37
My 6.5l has been reliable also and as Peter said parts are cheap, I buy 4 genuine AC delco oil filters off the local GM dealer for $10 each.

You have to respect the gearbox as it is a massive increase in torque, my box was just recently rebuilt but it wasn't caused by the engine just the amount of Kilometers.

As stated just make sure it has a compliance plate for the engine fitted and if you are going to get comprehensive insurance don't tell them it is a V8 or Chev, just tell them it is a non turbo 6.2litre.

Have a good one
AnswerID: 402781

Reply By: Member - William H (WA) - Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 20:22

Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 20:22
Good afternoon Bob
You will be one of the lucky ones with one of the earlier motors, as the young mechanic who worked at the BWK diesels workshop has left, and is now working over seas, he new those motors from the inside out, and also all the thing's that can go wrong with them.....he did his apprentice ship on them and was their for seven years till he left their two years ago, he is a very good mechanic and looked after my tojo for the past few years,enjoy the grunt .
Cheers for now.....Williamh...Bunbury...WA.
AnswerID: 402897

Reply By: Bob the - Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 23:09

Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 23:09
Hi again, thanks very much for your advice. Yesterday in the local paper my good woman spotted a 1986 G model cruiser with a 3 inch lift,winch bar,drawer system,rear wheel carrier,cargo barrier, 2H diesel turbo charged with 6x33s only 5000kms old, done only 191000kms owned since 1980. Went and looked at it tonight with my good friend who's a panel beater/mechanic, Well this cruiser is absolutley immaculate,not one squeak or rattle, it has coil springs supporting the leaf springs,feels really tight, and drives superbly. So tonight I'm the proud new owner of this vehicle... Thanks again to all who replyed on this great forum...
AnswerID: 402916

Follow Up By: Bob the - Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 23:12

Friday, Feb 05, 2010 at 23:12
sorry everyone, the last owner has had it since 1990....
FollowupID: 672460

Sponsored Links