Gps - PCMIA

Submitted: Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 16:38
ThreadID: 7579 Views:1956 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi again, Saw an item on ebay for GPS PCMIA cards which removes the requirement for an external GPS handset.

These units just either plug into the PC port or ar connected by USB. They cost from around A$150 to A$400 and also have an external antenna supplied. They do not require their own power source as they are connected to the computer.

All modes of operaton are contolled by the pc.

Has anyone had any experience with such devices?

Here is one such item at the link

http://www.verbatim.com.au/products/productdetail.cfm?ID=PRCFGPSLP

Cheers ;)

See you on our travels

H,K & A
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boxa - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 17:37

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 17:37
dolfin,

Hi, I am currently using the GPS Compact Flash Receiver through my PCMCIA port in my laptop for mapping.
Brilliant and simple, just a plug and play device so long as you have the mapping software to work it with. The external antennae is a whopping five metres long so it can be rigged up anywhere you desire. I have just trialled it throughout outback Qld without a glitch at all. The only problem was working out the hot keys for the mapping programme (Trackranger).
I picked it up on the cheap on ebay also, $110 all up, brand new direct from the factory.

Happy trails
Boxa

AnswerID: 32714

Follow Up By: Member - dolfn - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 17:44

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 17:44
does it come ith trackranger? If so what is that like compared with oziexplorer. Is trackranger compatible with the maps on cd you can purchase on this site?

Cheers
See you on our travels

H,K & A
FollowupID: 23396

Follow Up By: Boxa - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 08:24

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 08:24
Unfortunately no,
I purchased everything seperately.
The GPS was purchased on e-bay, Trackranger and the Raster 250K maps on CD were purchased from www.advantechdesign.com.au
Trackranger is compatible with anything you can throw at it map wise so long as it has a lat and long calibrated to it. That can be easily done at a couple of clicks of the button.

I can not comment on oziexplorer as I have had nothing to do with it, all mapping software works the same anyway aslong as it has a GPS receiver.

Happy trails,
Box
FollowupID: 23455

Reply By: Barry - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 18:58

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 18:58
I have been using a USB GPS device for six months. It is a matchbox-sized receiver that attaches magnetically to the roof or just sits on the dash. It connects to the PC via a standard USB cable. I got mine from www.deluo.com for US$99 plus shipping.
I am very pleased with this unit and I run OziExplorer (and Auslig maps) under Windows XP from a car computer I built and installed under the front seat of my LC100.
AnswerID: 32720

Follow Up By: KG - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 18:29

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 18:29
I got a similar one for 80 bucks (au) just last week on ebay...
it's a no-name, all it has on it is a model number BU-303.
personally i think the usb connection is much better than a pcmcia slot (it doesnt stick out waiting to be broken).

a power / data cable for my magellan was going to cost $120+ so this is a damn cheap way of getting moving map on a laptop.

I've compared it's accuracy / sat tracking with the magellan and believe it or not it seems to track MORE satellites than the magellan - and the lats and longs are the same as the magellan reads.

i've been using it with gps trackmaker (freeware - seems to do everything i want. ymmv)

cheers,

KG.
FollowupID: 23467

Sponsored Links