Suzuki Sierra/SJ

Submitted: Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 19:53
ThreadID: 7584 Views:2261 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

Am looking at buying one of the above as a club car. Could someone pls offer some advice what to look out for when test driving?

Cheers

Wil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 23:46

Friday, Oct 03, 2003 at 23:46
Wil,
When looking for one for my wife a lot that we test drove had transfer case vibrations, I found out later that this apparently is a common failing point, secondhand unit averaged arounD the $450 to $500 mark outright. Apart from that we didn't find anything else that we would of called a show stopper. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 32738

Follow Up By: Wil - Saturday, Oct 04, 2003 at 08:06

Saturday, Oct 04, 2003 at 08:06
Hi Martyn

I noticed that you have a Project Ranger. Similarly, I have a mint VX ltd 80 series with BFGs, OME 2" raise, dual battery, radio & (Bar & light on the Christmas shopping list) and would like a real mud plug for playing around, hence the Suzuki. Thinking of an "A" frame to take it along fun outtings or holiday etc. Plus some round home running.

You must have been down this road. Any good advice?

Cheers

Wil
FollowupID: 23422

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 12:18

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 12:18
Wil,
I don't know about a lot of experience. For what it's worth I was wreckig my "good" GQ Nissan, (that should get the ball rolling) scratching things breaking things etc so I decided to get a "bush hack" came across this 85 Rangie that had all the necessary bits, mirrors, tyres, doors, engine etc, wasn't heavily modified in other words, I then decided up front what I was going to do, insure it, put good suspension on, good tyres and a rear diff lock and that's it, fixed budget, fixed accessories. I've been tempted t put lots more on but I've resisted the urge I think it would be wasting money. The Rangie goes where other modified fourbys won't go, great drive, lots of fuel and a few oil leaks, that's normal, staying away from water is also a good idea. Rangies are heavy so if you where looking at this type of option for towing on an A frame, not the best bus to go for. I haven't done much off road in my wifes Suzi, for obvious reasons I think. Fuel economy is great, appears to be very sure footed on the road, we looked a a lot of crap before we ended up with the 92 model we've got, just landed on a person who wanted a quick sale, it's got one of those bikni tops as well, that's a good thing rather than the soft top which is shreaded at present, all this stuff is in my opinion as always. We looked a lot of 86, 87, 88 models, they all appeared to be getting tired and the younger generation that where driving them had given them a work out, beach parties etc etc. Even a 92 is now 11 years old, the one we got had 155 ks on the clock, licenced and pretty straight for sub $7000. Good luck see how you go. Keep the shiny side up
FollowupID: 23459

Sponsored Links