Motor home trip around Broome

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 13:17
ThreadID: 75846 Views:3303 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I live in Melbourne and am planning a trip to Broome and northern WA with the family in June

We have a goldstream off road CT and 4WD, and have held off going to northern WA, as just too far to drive with our three boys, 11 9 and 7. Hence, have never actually got further than Perth (!?) in WA, ever..

Have finally decided to break the duck, and fly to Broome, pick up a Maui or something similar, and spend about 12 days exploring the area. Problem is, I dont have a clue what to do there. I presume that a Maui simply wont do the Gibb river road, and we are looking to stick to the coast (probably) anyway, but minds open. We were thinking about heading south towards Exmouth, but no fixed plans

Pretty keen to enjoy the beach, see some of the famous gorges and rivers etc, but really not sure how limited we will be taking a motorhome

Any suggestions as to what we can do ? I dont mind spending some coin to enjoy ourselves

Thanks in anticipation
Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: uneekwahn - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 13:26

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 13:26
There are a few places up there that rent out 4wds with roof top tents. Why not hire one of those and take a ground tent too?

I know some places don't allow their vehicles on the GRR, gbut I'm not sure specifically which ones do either way.

HTH.

Jason.
AnswerID: 403096

Follow Up By: Member - Paul M1 (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 13:28

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 13:28
thanks

5 of us in a 4wd with a roof top tent for two weeks is not really what we are looking for this time, just too cramped etc. We do plenty of that in Southern Aust, so want at least some comfort this time

Thanks for the suggestion
FollowupID: 672591

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 13:49

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 13:49
Hi Paul,

In a motorhome you are not really going to see much apart from Broome itself and maybe Windjana Gorge, Tunnel Creek and Fitzroy Crossing/Geikie Gorge and Derby, Horizontal waterfall. Now you could possibly spend 10 days taking that lot in but what a pity to go all that way and not see all the other Kimberly treasures which really need a 4wd - Gibb River Road with all its gorges, waterfalls and great swimming spots, Mitchell Plateau, Cape Leveque.

South of Broome the country is flat and windy and coastal access limited. Exmouth is very busy and it can be difficult to get into the Cape Range NP camping areas (see our 09 blogs).

Remember too that apart from swimming at Broome/Cable Beach you cannot swim at Windjana Gorge or at the Horizontal waterfalls; not sure about Geikie Gorge but probably not.

If you are flying to Broome maybe getting cabin or motel type accommodation and hiring a 4wd would give you a bit more flexibility?
Just a thought,

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 403099

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:13

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:13
Would be fairly hard to take a motorhome to the Horizontal Falls methinks.

It did take an hours flight to get there last July Has something changed.

FollowupID: 672625

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:49

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 18:49
Graham,

Yes I realised some someone might pick that up if they were being pedantic :-))
I guess I was thinking that you could drive a Maui to a pickup point for the flight out. Its a fantastic flight and a memorable boat ride that I hope Paul and his family will be able to do - maybe add on the overnight in the houseboat.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 672627

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 19:35

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 19:35
Wasnt in any way being pedantic but feel if giving advice to someone who hasnt been to an area it should be fairly accurate.

I would be p'd off if I got to Derby or Broome thinking I could drive to the falls and found it was going to cost $2,000 for the family.

Same with the Bungles think it would be very unwise to try to take a campervan in there.

The guide we had, said it had taken him 2 hrs for the 53k in a 4WD

Incidentally the best trip to the falls is by the company WITHOUT EXTREME in its name
They have a 500hp boat and from Broome cost $100 less than the other company and is the same as their price from Derby
This flight takes you over Cape Levique which I also doubt you could take a Campervan.

Just check the tides with them before you go.

Its a great place up there but I wont go back to Broome for various reasons.

FollowupID: 672635

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 17:56

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 17:56
G'day Paul, have to agree with John & Val, your maui may not be even allowed
off sealed roads. Get a cabin or such in Broome, hire a Britz Troopy or similar &
do the Gibb RR to Kunnunurra, return on tar via Halls Creek, Bungles of course,
Fitzroy Crossing, Gieke Gorge, & back to Broome. Fabulous trip........oldbaz.

AnswerID: 403127

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 19:00

Sunday, Feb 07, 2010 at 19:00
Lots of people do the GRR in Landcruiser based campers which appear to be hire ones, and even some of the camper trailers may have been hired. That would be preferable to one that you can only take on the bitumen.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 403146

Reply By: kingswoodwagon - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 13:50

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 13:50
Paul,

I think you would be stretching it to fit Broome and Exmouth return in 12 days.

Heres an idea - its a bit out of the square, but it will give you your beach and gorges fix.
Fly to Newman or Paraburdoo (not sure if you can get direct flights from Melb)
Hire a car - visit Karijini NP (kids can climb in as opposed to going on a boat tour at Geiki). Stay at Karijini ($$$) Auski or Tom Price.
Drive to Broome - there are 4 good station stay/caravan parks on the beach along the way, Pardoo Stn (may need 4x4 to get down to the creek), 80 Mile Beach, Port Smith and Barn Hill (not sure of the chalet capacity of Barn hill). Most kids love each of those places.
Then spend the remaining time at Cable Beach. With a side trip to Cape Levique.

Have fun

AnswerID: 403258

Reply By: wendys - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 16:50

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 16:50
I think the only hire motor homes you would be allowed to take off bitumen are the specific troopy-type 4WD ones. The other types have clear bitumen-only rules and you can forfeit quite a bit of money if caught. Britz maui allow a little leeway to go into somehwere like Eighty Mile Beach camp area - a few km of good gravel road, but that's about it. We were at El Questro a couple of years back when two large Maui motorhomes came in and stayed for a few days - traversing the river at the entrance several times, and once getting a rock stuck between the dual wheels. Unfortunately for them, a senior Britz staff member was also camping there and reported them back to the hire point.
AnswerID: 403276

Reply By: jezza68 - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 23:09

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 23:09
Hi Paul,

Qantas and Virgin fly direct to Broome weekly from Melbourne.( Wed and Sat night? Dry Season Only!))
I would suggest doing 3-4 weeks if possible. Start off with a fly/stay package at one of Broomes Resorts for 4 nights. Do the tourist/relax thing.
Then hire a Camper Van and drive South.
Suggest 80 Mile Beach, Karijini ( Gorges), Exmouth ( Gorges and Beaches) , Shark Bay ( Beach and Dolphins), Kalbarri ( Beach and Gorges), Cervantes ( Pinnacles and Beaches) then on to Perth. Watch a real game of AFL and fly home ex Perth?
Each destination is approx 4hr drive apart so easy to achieve and relax along the way.

Cheers,
Jerry
AnswerID: 403344

Follow Up By: Member - Paul M1 (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 09:25

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 09:25
Thanks, but clearly you live a different work/life style to me !

No prospect of taking that long off work is zero I am afraid.
FollowupID: 672850

Reply By: HGMonaro - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 10:32

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 10:32
I had entertained the idea of doing something similar as we loved Exmouth and specifically Turquoise Bay in the Cape Range Nat Park, however when I checked flight costs it was going to be very expensive... Unless you can snag some super-special deal, including getting your family to Perth you're going to be up for around $4.5k just to get there (online quotes via Skywest and Qantas). We've decided to go to Fiji instead! If that's not an issue, you could spend some time around Exmouth and possibly hire a camper to drive over to Karajini (maybe via Corel Bay) for a few days to see a bit of different countryside.
AnswerID: 403393

Reply By: Member - Paul M1 (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 22:00

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 22:00
Thanks guys for the responses. Time frame seems too short to do what we want to do, so off to Magnetic Island for some wreck diving this holiday.

Will try WA next year when we have more time

thanks for your contributions

Paul
AnswerID: 403491

Sponsored Links