Camper Leaking

Submitted: Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 12:49
ThreadID: 75874 Views:2425 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a problem with our Camper Trailer leaking through the roof.
I have read all of the forum threads on leaks but mine seems different.
I have had it up in a number of heavy downpours but it still leaks.
It's been up in the back yard for the past week and over the last two days we've had well over 200mm of rain.
I sponged it out today and there was a third of a bucket of water.
The strange thing is the only water coming in is dripping off the internal metal frame where it makes contact with the roof. There are vinyl protectors on the corners of the frame and no water appears to be dripping off them only off the metal. At times water has pooled on the roof but it hasn't leaked through in that area.
There are no seams across the roof so it's not a leaking seam.
I've put some vinyl over the exposed metal in one section and will wait for it to rain again to see if it still comes in in that area.
It looks like my options are either to waterproof the whole roof or use a fly.
Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and the best way to fix it.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 13:10

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 13:10
Have you read thread 54080? There may be something there to help you as it has some extensive info.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 403252

Follow Up By: lesterb - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 13:25

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 13:25
Thanks Fred,
I have read that. It's just that I couldn't find any reason for it only leaking where the canvas roof and bare metal frame meets and I thought someone else may have had the same problem.

Regards,
Lester
FollowupID: 672731

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 13:51

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 13:51
hi lesterb

sounds like a waterproofing problem doesnt it, like when you touch the inside of a tent in the rain and it leaks through. Are you sure there isnt a pinhole anywhere along the canvas where it meets the metal frame. Have you tried to have it up minus that section of metal frame, propped up some other way with it sitting in a similar upright position to see if it still leaks there.

If it fines up and sun comes out you could prop canvas up without the metal frame and see if you can see any pinhole(s) when standing underneath with the canvas between you and the sun.

If you end up using a fly it will not only keep you dry but will lower the inside temps. Best of luck....
AnswerID: 403259

Reply By: OREJAP - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 14:35

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 14:35
We waterproofed our canvas every two years & it never leaked. Washing canvas with detergents & other agents can damage same. Speak to the professional canvas people after all that's their business. Good luck
AnswerID: 403265

Sponsored Links