LED lights and Electric brake STRANGE NOISE

Submitted: Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 15:38
ThreadID: 75875 Views:2580 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Help! I recently purchase a camper trailer with LED light. When I switched the volvos side lights or driving light on the LED red lights hyperflashed. So I installed a LED load resistor. One LED load resistor has resloved the problem beautifully however I now have a humming type noise which appears to be coming from the brakes. I installed the LED resistor as per the instructions, in parallel with the Red and white wires. this humming noise only starts when the side or main lights are on, ANY COMMENT???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 18:09

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 18:09
Sound to me like it is wired in incorrectly, but not having a circuit diagram or a clearer description of how you have wired them in it is difficult to know for sure.
There should virtually be no cross connection between the tail light circuit and the electric brake circuit.Only the stop light wire near your brake pedal should be connected to the brake circuit via the controller. The resistor you mention should be fitted in the tail light circuit on the trailer only, and definitely not the brake circuit. But then I have not used LED tail lights as yet, but I have set LEDs up as dash lights
Regards, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 403292

Follow Up By: JulesnScottie - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 07:51

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 07:51
HI Bruce, Thank you for your comments. I should clarify, the load resistor is connected into the tail light circuit, as per the instructions http://www.ledautolamps.com/product-details.php?pid=160
The read and white wire coming out of the tail light has been spliced and the load resistor connected in parallel. I'm confident the installation is correct. You mention a controller, I have no controller connected and prior to fitting the resistor and the last road trip I appeared not to need one. Are you suggesting I may need a controller...... Your help Is much appreciated
FollowupID: 672844

Reply By: Member - Vic S (VIC) - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 18:17

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 18:17
You mention that the red and white wire are used, the red is for the brake light and should not be used to activate the brake itself the blue wire from the controller is used for the brake magnets ,the white is the earth for the whole trailer, if you have used the red for your brake you may have a poor earth in the cars tail lights but still need to wire correctly.
Vic
AnswerID: 403294

Sponsored Links