Cute find your phone trick

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 19:37
ThreadID: 75905 Views:3502 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Now I thought this trick using technology that most explor oz's should have was pretty cute and would not have beleived it if it hadn't happened in our family.

First I must relate how different our teenagers look at things from the way we do !

Recently someone posted the very helpful link to Nearmap which in our case
showed hi-res pictures of our neighbourhood only 2 weeks old.

I immediately scanned the area for tracks thru the local park.

My wife noted how a neighbour's extension was implemented.

The kids said Ho-Hum and zoomed in on local burnt-out sites.

So to finding the phone - you might think robin learnt that if you can't find the phone in the house then just dial it and follow the ring , well no this trick
of the kids was much more subtle than that and had me wondering just how
clued in to other things they might be.

Well the son loss his phone while out driving getting parts for the car.

Was 2 hours before it was noticed that it was missing (amazing in itself).

Recently in an attempt to use the phone legally while driving I had got them Nuvi 765 gps'es. But the main reason I got this model was because they can record your track , and back tracking is one of our main uses for these devices. The kids always have this feature enabled and know how to use it.

So the search began , carefully and slowly driving out about 6km of bitumen track as stored on the GPS.

But the kids new the Nuvi had one extra feature - Bluetooth.

So with Bluetooth locate enabled the search continued and unbelieveably about
2km from home the phones ID popped up on the Nuvi's screen and a short ground search found the phone in the gutter about 30m from where it was detected.

Now if only they could learn not to loose the phone in the first place !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PradOz - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:05

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:05
very clever. another thing for the memory bank. Pity my memory card in the brain is nearly full ;)
AnswerID: 403484

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:23

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:23
Not a lot of room in mine for new things either Pradoz
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 672973

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:16

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:16
Hi Robin

Good thinking on behalf of the kids, I would never have thought of it.

Visited my son in Melbourne on Australia Day, when walking through the airport I got a bluetooth message. Thinking it was my son, I accepted it. Turned out to be from someone unknown in the airport terminal sending it to someone else. So what the youngsters did makes very good sense.

Can't beat kids with technology!

Cheers, Dave

AnswerID: 403486

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:28

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:28
I don't think we all appreciate that Bluetooth is like a little wireless network and many have no password protection and can be very visible Dave, its even been shown that sitting in a shopping centre walkway you can often connect to a phone passing by.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 672974

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:53

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:53
I was sitting in front of the laptop at home a couple of months back when my Bluetooth icon lit up and wanted to pair to a mobile. (My laptop is hidden and only pairs with my mobile)

I said Ok knowing I could delete and disappear at will. One of the neighbours had allowed anyone into their phone without a thought!

I could have sent any text message I felt like to any of their contacts, deleted the sent message and then cleaned out their contact list without them ever knowing who did the deed!

For the Forum hand wringers, no I didn't do any of the above and if I could work out who it is I'd have a quiet chat to them regarding secure Bluetooth communications.

Bluetooth has its uses but it is severely lacking in basic security!

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 672978

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:57

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 13:57
I haven't used it a lot but I thought you always had to enter a code to "pair" with some other device (ie. you can choose any code but you need to enter the same code in each device before it will connect). If you haven't already, it would be worth switching on this option as I've heard you can be sent viruses over Bluetooth.

Of course, I generally leave my Bluetooth switched off unless I'm actually using it (to save battery power and reduce the risk of other people connecting) so Robin's son's little trick probably wouldn't work for me...
FollowupID: 673105

Follow Up By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 15:33

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 15:33
Too right, Timbo,

In have now disabled bluetooth on the phone, so unless I am asked to transfer something face to face with someone, no-one can 'see' it.

Cheers, Dave
FollowupID: 673134

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:20

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 21:20
LOL, very good :-)

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 403487

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 07:44

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 07:44
I think it would work when your out of phone range as well John - so now I leave Bluetooth enabled even though I don't use it.
It uses a little extra power , but the tracking ability seems worth it.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 673024

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 22:21

Tuesday, Feb 09, 2010 at 22:21
So all you techno savy mob. I, even at my advanced state of confusion and mental decay, have learnt something from this thread. Bluetooth is not necessarily something I need to see my dentist about.

(;-))

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 403495

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:22

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 09:22
Bluetooth can be made a little more secure.

So after you pair with your different devices.on most phones you can then make it visible to only those devices by making it hidden.

In Nokias there are three settings

Show to all

Defined period

Hidden to all. It will still connect to already paired devices

Motorolas are a pain as you couldnt hide it on the one I had and it would pick anyone up in the area

My Iphone seems similar.

Just dont pair with anything you dont know look and see what it is.

Usually both ends have to accept the pairing so if the other phone is in someones pocket they may not know its trying to seduce yours and not accept the connection anyway.

If the phone allows you to change the pairing password do so as too many just leave it on the default and thats how they can get caught.

Same with WIFI networks.

My mates neighbour has an open network.

Saves using the mates download allocation with people like that.

Just sit outside in the car and hook in and away you go If they are stupid enough to leave it open they wouldnt find anyone using it unless they knew where to look.

Cheers

AnswerID: 403541

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:54

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:54
Most 'unlimited' download users are the 'young gamers' as they sit there all day playing 'games' on their 'unlimited plans', you can log onto them and it's not detrimental to their download speed or capacity

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 673056

Sponsored Links