Bike carrier for Windsor Rapid 592s

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:07
ThreadID: 75921 Views:5706 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are currently in the process of purchasing a Windsor Rapid 592s, where both ends fold out. We are looking to carry 5 bikes in total. Does anyone know what to do in this situation. What carrier to buy and where ?. We also do a lot of overnight stops, so carriers need to be a quick release system if on the van, so as the beds can fold out. Please help !!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Carl- Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:38

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:38
Hi Jodi,

I have a a friend that has made a super bracket that carries 3 on the front drawbar of their Windson rapid.

Hunting through the archive of pics (thousands) to see if I can find it. The bikes are mounted vertical and radiate out from the point where the draw bar attaches to the tow vehicle. If that helps with a rought description. 5, I am not so certain about. It might give you some ideas however.

Carl
AnswerID: 403571

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:22

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 14:22
Hi Jodi

Check out thread 74837 and you will see pics of my old Rapid with a bike carrier on the A frame Thread 74837 - Windsor Rapid Bike Carrier

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 403613

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 07:43

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 07:43
Hi Captain,
I did not see anything but a fiama link on that post are you sure your van pics are there?

Hi Jodi,
I have a 14.6 Windsor Rapid and have 4 bikes on the front drawbar,I have fabricated a cross memeber that is 75x75x4mm it has 2 feet welded on the bottom so that it can be clamped down on the drawbar with 4 U bolts and plates with washers and nilock nuts ,I then welded an upright piece in the center then gusseted the up right on both sides so now you have an upside down T I then made a cap on the short piece but not before drilling and welding a towball from the inside then I welded the cap on the top with the thread pointing up,then I fitted my folding 4 bike rack on and it folds over the 9kg and 4kg gas bottles,the bikes now will be facing the back of my 4WD this means the cross member is close to the van on the draw bar,this is the only safe way I could think of transporting our bikes as I dont like the idea of the bikes being at the back of the van as it put stress on the rear of the chassis as well as the flimsy joke of a rear bar that they supply ,it is only held on by 4 tack welded u bolts on mine so I removed the entire bar and built a much stronger one and if you intend to go on corragations I would advise you run a chain or cable around the spare wheel ,they have been known to brake off ,well back to the bike rack I can watch mine from my mirror and the bikes dont budge,there is only 2 things about your post and that is buying a 5 bike rack ?? and there is no real fast way to disconnect when you have fold down beds ,you might want to think about a roof rack mounting setup for your tug if that is an option,I hope I have not gone on for too long and this helps you.

regards John.
FollowupID: 673275

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:48

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:48
Hi John,

Hmm... it shows up in my browser so not sure whats going on. Well, have reposted below in case its something to do with the thread being archived.

...I had the same issue when i had a Rapid. I ended up building a rack myself and it worked fine. You did have to take the bikes off to use the front bed, but I felt this was an acceptable compromise - I could see the bikes via my rear view mirror. And while these shots show small kids bikes, it worked well for full-size adult bikes.
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
You could easily make the arms a bit longer to take more bikes, these arms are 450mm and take 3 adult bikes easily. On my Camprite the carrier arms are 500mm long and it just takes 4 adult bikes.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 673314

Sponsored Links