Travel movie recording

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 17:13
ThreadID: 75934 Views:2037 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We took a few hours of video on our December trip from Brisbane to Perth on the Outback Way, and return over the Nullarbor, through Broken Hill and Cobar.
We used to use the video camera hooked up to the DVD recprder to watch and record onto disk at the same time.
With a recent changeover from the old Foxtel to IQ, the bozo did not hook up the cables the same way, and we can't record from the video camera any more.
Does anyone have the basic connection requirements for Foxtel, TV, and DVD recorder that will allow the DVD (with video camera attached) to run off the IQ box by using the AV button, which used to work?
If this is deemed OT, please keep in mind it is to download travel video.
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 18:31

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 18:31
Ian,

Definitely appears to be a bit off topic, but here goes for a fellow member.
We had a similar discovery when changing over from the old FOXTEL. We used to be able to record FOXTEL programs onto VHS tapes. The FOXTEL IQ is digital and connected to your TV via component cables or a single HDMI cable, bypassing your DVD or VHS recorder. This is for best picture quality. The AV cables are low quality analogue only. Therefore pressing the AV button does not have any result. You should be able to hook up your DVD player directly to the TV with an AV cable from Dick Smith just as if you did not have FOXTEL at all. Then the AV button would work and you could connect your camera to the DVD player and record in the old way. I am pretty sure you cannot record FOXTEL IQ onto a DVD. I am no expert but have set up a few units recently for family members. It can be confusing with a rat's nest of cables at the back of the TV!
DTV Forum
This link will give an insight into the whole thing. Good Luck!

Kingo
AnswerID: 403657

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:53

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:53
Thanks for the link, I'll do more research.
The Foxtel guy I talked to said you can record direct to a recorder, but he was a salesman (no offence to honest salespeople).
I don't have a need to record Foxtel programs to the recorder, just the holiday videos, which I though may only only be marginally OT.
Cheers
Ian

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 673298

Reply By: That Troopy Bloke (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 19:08

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 at 19:08
Why don't you just download from the video camera to your PC, do your editing, then burn the finished video to DVD?

Cheers
Glenn
AnswerID: 403666

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:47

Thursday, Feb 11, 2010 at 09:47
Yeah, sounds good, but I tried that a few years ago, and the PC couldn't handle it.
Had an IT guy try and interpret the Sony instructions, but no go.
Thanks anyway.
Cheers
Ian

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 673296

Sponsored Links