Exhaust System

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 04, 2003 at 15:06
ThreadID: 7596 Views:1717 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My 1999 ITD 3.0 litre Jackaroo has a short length(about 10cm.) of woven steel flexable exhaust pipe in the system just in front of the gearbox cross member. This was leaking at 60,000 km. and replaced under warranty; in fact the whole length from the manifold to the first joint was replaced at a cost of about $600 I think. This flexable bit is now leaking again at 130,000km., can I make it a solid pipe right through or will this place too much strain on the turbo? No provision is made to replace just the flexable bit, any ideas or suggestions to save me scrapping a perfectly good bit of exhaust pipe and several hundred dollars would be welcome!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boxa - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 13:22

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 13:22
Jacka,
Sure thing in presuming you can replace just the flexy hose, probably the best thing for it actually, it will require mandrel bends to get the desired shape though.
You will find that you will have a slightly more responsive go-go peddle if you go ahead with it.

Happy trails,
Box
AnswerID: 32810

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 10:04

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 10:04
Jack, The flex pipe is there for a good reason, to remove excessive vibration and reverberation from the exhaust system. You could replace it with solid pipe but be prepared for more noise and vibration . Better to go to a good exhaust shop and get them to replace the flex section with an aftermarket high quality piece of flex. It doesn't make any difference to the flow as the internal diameter is the same...BradLife is short- but there's always time for a yarda.
AnswerID: 32860

Sponsored Links