Garmin Quest

Trying to help a friend with a Quest... does anyone know if the Quest is capable of NMEA functiong for moving map display? e.g. for OziExplorer etc... Have been uble to locate anything on web so far... except that, it is discontinued...
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: age - Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 17:49

Saturday, Feb 13, 2010 at 17:49
Fred

Have a look at this link/threadNuvi as external GPS

Allows a Nuvi to operate in a psuedo NMEA mode (but still Garmin format) and will transmit position data back up the usb connection to PC based software. I have tested this with a Nuvi 500 and Garmin Mobile PC and it works well. You need Franson Gate to make this work - to interpret the Garmin format signal.

Maybe the Quest can be entered into this mode as well (I am not that familiar with the Quests) - worth a shot.

Cheers

A
AnswerID: 404062

Reply By: Voxson - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 22:40

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 22:40
Yes... Quest does have NMEA...
Quest was a pain because of the push button with the miniature screen so i bought a GPS receiver instead..
AnswerID: 404248

Reply By: DIO - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 09:57

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 09:57
Garmin supply (free download) a program called nRoute. This enables you to connect your Quest to a laptop and have full navigational features/control on the laptop. Works really well. You can either use the Garmin map or download Tracks4 or Shonky Maps for topographical. I've never become lost as a result of inadequate mapping or a failure of the Quest. Good luck.
AnswerID: 404287

Sponsored Links