Mt Augustus

I'm planning on travelling to Mt Augustus from Meekatharra towing a Supreme Territory caravan, in July this year. After Mt Augustus I am going on to Karijini.
Has anyone towed a caravan through this area & have any tips or advice please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 15:29

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 15:29
We travelled that route from the top down last year and it is all basically 2wd, smooth graded dirt roads. There were plenty of 2wd cars towing vans as well.
AnswerID: 404178

Reply By: GimmeeIsolation - Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 19:01

Sunday, Feb 14, 2010 at 19:01
I'll back that up, was on those roads a few months ago and they were excellent.
AnswerID: 404205

Reply By: jezza68 - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 00:23

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 00:23
Hi Owen,

I am not sure whether you intend to take the Pingardy Track north east from Mt Augustus to Ashburton Downs Rd? Then on to Paraburdoo/Tom Price, If you do I do not recommend it.

However sticking to the 3 Rivers Road and back tracking to the Gt Northern Highway you will not have problems.
AnswerID: 404259

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 09:36

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 09:36
why not? that is a nice road I travelled from yalgoo the mt augustus then on the karanjini a few months ago and all the roads were nothing less than superb
FollowupID: 673957

Reply By: zolle - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 01:42

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 01:42
Do you adhere to the Supreme warning about mild corrugations? If so you could have problems in some areas, if not the road from Meekathara is easy depending on when it was graded, a few areas may be a bit rough.
I did the Pingandy and Ashburton Downs roads in June last year and they were mostly good but there were several wash outs and rough areas paricularly near Ashburton Downs.
Use sensible driving and tyre pressures and you shouldn't have a problem.
Have fun the run is worthwhile.
AnswerID: 404265

Follow Up By: Owen A - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 20:32

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 20:32
Thanks for the tip Zolle. I haven't heard of the Supreme warning about mild corrugations before, what's this all about?

I travelled the Fitzroy Developmental Rd & the road in to Cobbold Gorge in Queensland a few years ago with the van without any probs.
FollowupID: 674153

Follow Up By: zolle - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 01:53

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 01:53
When I was searching for a van in 2007 I was interested in a Supreme Territory but noticed a sticker in the boot that warned that using the van on dirt roads with more than mild corrugations would invalidate the warranty. I had numerous discussions with the local supplier and a manager at the Supreme works but never could get a definition of mild corrugations. I also could not get names of local owners who used their Supreme Territory on dirt roads from the retailer ( I was not aware of this website then). Consequently I decided to only consider manufacturers who actually stated their vans were suitable for dirt road/off-road use. That does not mean the Supreme vans are not capable if used sensibly hence my comments were intended to convey that if you were not trying to comply with the Supreme warning and you drove to suit the road conditions and you vans capability you will be ok and enjoy the run.

Have fun
FollowupID: 674190

Follow Up By: Owen A - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 20:35

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 20:35
No worries, thanks for that. We had no trouble with the Supreme & the corrugation, other than the fridge falling out of the cabinetary, water filter coming adrift from it's mounting & losing a parking light. The van handles well with the Nissan towing it (although the old Nissan is a little low on power - 2000 3l turbo diesel). No dust problems in the van which is good. Not sure if I'd buy another one though.

When I was looking at buying the Supreme at the caravan show in Perth before I bought it, the bloke from Supreme told me that it would be great as an off-road van & it would handle roads like the Gibb River Road without any probs. typicle sales talk. No mention of any warning about corrugatiions. I'll have to check the now!

What did you end up buying?
FollowupID: 674300

Follow Up By: zolle - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 00:03

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 00:03
Ah the patter from George Day caravans I did get similar verbal assurances but as I said nothing to specifically clarify the sticker condition to convince me to buy. I bought a Kedron XC2 17ft which did not cost many more $$$ than a Territory if brought up to the same spec by adding solar power dual HD batteries, extra water tanks, upgraded suspension wheels & tyres, TV & sat tv wiring etc. At the time I had a Terracan and was limited to towing 2500kg but as with caravans I found it impossible to limit loading to 2500kg so bought a manual Patrol CRD which now with a few mods tows the van loaded to 2.7t easily on and off-road and fairly economically.
Have you had any problems with the "grenade" as the Patrol website refers to your model Patrol as?
FollowupID: 674351

Follow Up By: Owen A - Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:25

Thursday, Feb 18, 2010 at 21:25
My Supreme is 20' & has 16" rims & matching tyres to the Nissan (Coopers)
Solar panel, Dual bateries, water filter, duel water tanks etc. Stuffed up with the telly though, got the old fashioned type but it is video & DVD all in one. Flat screens were still pretty new back in 2003 when i got the van.

No probs with the old Nissan (touch wood) so far. She's only done about 136,000km, about 20,000 towing the brick. I'm lookin after it though & treating it with kid gloves, not putting it under too much pressure. Don't tow in 5th gear & rarely tow above 90 kph. I'm getting about 12 lp 100k cruising & 17/18 lp 100k towing. Haven't been game to weigh the van when its loaded?? It's probably somewhere between 2.7 & 3 tonne?
FollowupID: 674517

Reply By: Ups and Downs - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 09:45

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 09:45
Owen

Be careful going through the dips.

As you are towing you probably won't be going too quick, but go too fast and the sharp stones will give you a flat.

We did 2 tyres until we got smarter.

Paul
AnswerID: 404283

Sponsored Links