HEMA help!!!

Hi folks,
Whilst trying to load a digital .ozfx3 map, I have inadvertently altered the Map&Data Files configuration so that now, if I go into file/open map file, I now get a list of folders instead of a list of Hema Regional maps as was the case initially. I have tinkered with no success. I am probably missing something very simple.
With loading of maps, how do you get .map format which appears with all of the preloaded maps.
Any suggestions or solutions with either of the above greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Jon W
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 08:55

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 08:55
I don't know anything about Hema but it appears that you have somehow changed the Default folder so that when you attempt to open a ,map file the system is looking in the wrong folder for the files.

Can you browse the folders to find the folder where the .map files are stored?

Is the an setting in Options that allows you to point the program at the correct folder?

AnswerID: 404277

Follow Up By: Member - Jon W (Toowoomba QLD) - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:21

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:21
Yes to your first question.
Then I can select that path but it will not become the default.
Thanks.
Jon W
FollowupID: 674013

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 09:48

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 09:48
Jon,

It's easy to get pretty tangled up when getting started at installing Ozi maps. Although there is lots of flexibiliy to store them wherever you want, probably the simplest and least error prone is as follows.

When searching for maps (ie the .map files) Ozi looks in the location specified in file|configuration|map images. The default is the c:\oziexplorer\maps folder. It will search through the specified folder and all its subfolders. It is convenient, though not essential, to store the .map files with their map image files. I use subfolders to maintain order, but keep these two files together in their own subfolder.

One of the functions of the .map file is to keep track of where its map image file is stored. If you've stored them seperately, open the .map file (in any text editor - Word will do it, but if you use Word to edit the file, you MUST save it as a text file and will need to manually change the filename back to xxxxxx.map from the xxxxx.txt which word will have used). In the first few lines of the .map file you will find the path for the image file. From what you've said, I suspect that simply editing that location line may fix your problem. The help facility explains this much better than I can!

HTH

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 404284

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:49

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:49
Hi - editing calibration files is more easily done using the File - Change Image File Name, Path & Drive function in OziExplorer. It will change 100's of files for you in a flash!

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673972

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 12:55

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 12:55
Thanks Greg - Definitely the best way to go for a bulk operation, but I was concerned that Jon had a one off issue that might be better dealt with on a one off basis.

Cheers
John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673981

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 13:21

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 13:21
Yeah no worries - wasn’t suggesting using a text editor is not a good idea at times (for a small number of files i.e. one or two), though manually editing can lead to errors.

I use notepad myself - I have associated the *.map files with Notepad and so no longer need to edit the extension to txt - again that would be a laborious process if you had to do lots (one off or not). You can click on them and they will open straight away, edit and save - easy.

I think the map set Jon was talking about involves more than a few map files so the “bulk” method would be more appropriate anyway, if in fact it was relevant…his problem doesn’t actually have anything to do with this subject anyway, as far as I can figure, so we have gone OT!!

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673986

Follow Up By: Member - Jon W (Toowoomba QLD) - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:24

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:24
John,
I am trying to do this on my Hema Nav GPS not a laptop.
Thanks anyway.
Jon W
FollowupID: 674015

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:40

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:40
Ah!!.... Different ballgame......!! You've come to the right place for help, but please ignore my comments. Good luck with it!!

Regards

John
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674019

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:43

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:43
Hello Jon

Within OziExplorerCe the settings which control what folders or files are displayed when you use File/open map file are defined by going to File – Configuration – Map & Data Files. Click on the little box with three dots and navigate all the way into the folder you wish to use (i.e. the one that contains the *.map files) and then click OK – double check the path shown is correct. Make sure it is active (i.e. box ticked).

Note: Only the contents of folder you have listed at the top of the list will be shown when using File/open map file. Any other folders you have listed individually will be used by OziExplorerCe to find other maps you may wish to use when in moving map mode etc.

If you have your map images and calibration (*.map) files in separate folders you will also have to define the location of the image files by using File – Configuration – Map Image Files using a similar process as above though you don’t have to be as specific i.e. you don’t have to define the specific folder just maybe the main folder in which all you maps are located as it will search all folders anyway. Obviously if your calibration files and images are togther this setting is irrelevant.

Having said all that you are in my opinion better off having all your different map sets in individual folders within a main “Map” folder (possibly what you have now and don’t like). Use this main folder as your path and its simply a case of an extra tap on the screen to list the maps in each folder after you go File/open map file and are presented with the list of folders (as you are now).

If you define a single individual folder you will then have to define every other individual folder with maps you want to use to ensure they are indexed and available for use in moving map. There is a limit of six folders that you can list so you could get cornered. A workaround is to put all your map (calibration) files from all your map sets into one folder but that can get a bit messy in some circumstances.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 404292

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:00

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:00
"If you define a single individual folder you will then have to define every other individual folder with maps you want to use to ensure they are indexed and available for use in moving map. There is a limit of six folders that you can list so you could get cornered. A workaround is to put all your map (calibration) files from all your map sets into one folder but that can get a bit messy in some circumstances."

I have just realised this comment is incorrect so ignore it please. In actual fact you could define a main map folder as a path in the second position on the Map & Data Files list. This would remove need to list the subfolders it contains individually.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 673974

Follow Up By: Member - Jon W (Toowoomba QLD) - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:51

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:51
Greg,

Yee haa!!! Fixed it!!!!

The top line in the Configuration\Map and Data Files list of folders was empty but active. I must have inadvertently deleted it. Simply re-entered
All good now.
Thanks for taking the time to help.
Regards,
Jon W
FollowupID: 674022

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:54

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:54
No worries - do you have the new HN5 or the previous model?

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674023

Follow Up By: Member - Jon W (Toowoomba QLD) - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 19:14

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 19:14
The earlier 4.3.
FollowupID: 674026

Reply By: Member - Jon W (Toowoomba QLD) - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:59

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:59
Thanks for the help folks.
Sometimes the solution is the simplest thing.
Thanks again.
Jon W
AnswerID: 404338

Sponsored Links