2009-2010 ford ranger

Submitted: Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 12:43
ThreadID: 76041 Views:5233 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

hi all

can any one that owns, or is knowledgeable about the 3 litre td crew cab ford ranger please give me some advise regarding this vehicle.

are they capable off road vehicle, is the 3 ltr engine reliable fuel efficient,do they make a good tow vehicle.

i have a caravan with a ball weight of 152kg, and an atm of 2023kg would this vehicle suit my towing needs.

any comments for or against would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards

andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rocco2010 - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 13:11

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 13:11
Gidday

I have just completed 12 months and 20,000km in a 3 litre td manual gearbox Ranger extra cab.

I can't comment on off-road ability or towing but your caravan would appear to be well within the published towing limits for the vehicle and the engine is a willing performer.

Mine is used as a daily driver and for weekend camping trips. Fuel use overall is in the low to mid 8/100km, a bit better if you have a lesiurely drive around and a bit more if you up the highway speed. Obviously you would need to allow a bit more for towing a van

Nothing has broken or fallen off. The interior is a bit dated and probably not up to the standard of some competitors in terms of trim and features but then again the Ranger doesnt have their price tags either.

The 20,000k service is expensive as it involves checking the valve clearances and draining and refilling both diffs. Interestingly the salesman pointed this out to me before I had even commited to the vehicle. Refreshing honesty I thought.

At this stage I would have no problem buying another one.

Cheers

rocco
AnswerID: 404304

Reply By: escapesilv - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 17:58

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 17:58
Gday Andy

I have a Ranger 3Lt ( 2WD) for work, and have to tow a small car trailer with machinery on it ( 1500Kg. Approx) around town.

It is very capable, and never found it under powered even in heavy traffic.

I cant comment on off road capability.

Cheers Robert.

AnswerID: 404330

Reply By: Geoff M - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 09:37

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 09:37
Hi Andy,

I have a 2007 BT50 which is the same as the Ranger mechanically. The engine is terrific, and the vehicle has serviced me well so far in areas such as the CSR, Kimberley, Vic High Country. The issues I have had have been mainly with the aftermarket equipment such as fuel tank, air compressor, diff lock and suspension. You may have seen a previous post where I discussed the (lack of) ARB support.

Haven't used it much for towing as I have a slide-on camper (Trayon) but has handled some big loads when collecting wood towing a tantem trailer.

The Ranger/BT50 are as capable (or better) off-road as the other dual cab utes on offer, but suffer from clearance issues from the IFS. A moderate 2" lift helps a lot.

Good luck with you purchase.

Geoff

AnswerID: 404391

Reply By: The other Norm C (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 02:08

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 02:08
Hi Andy
I've got a 08 Ranger cab chassis which has proven to be reliable.
Ive modified it a bit to carry 210 liters fuel 2 x spare wheels 60 liters water
draws ect When we head off the car would weigh just on 3 tonne.Have done a couple of fringe desert trips with no problems,clearance can be an issue
but not a hindrance,
By the way I bought a set of heavy duty springs to replace the STD ones,
After a trip to Lake Rason had another 2 leaves added to rear to cope with the weight,now all's good.Front still STD may need to lift a bit to level the car.
Should you want any other info let me know
Norm
AnswerID: 404509

Sponsored Links