Katherine to Gearldton in 50 days

Submitted: Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:36
ThreadID: 76049 Views:3661 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
So I'm trying to plan a trip from Katherine to Gearlton in 50 days, first stop will be Gregory NP. After that it just gets crazy as i'm sure you can imagine.

Cany anyone point me in the right direction? are there any good websites or books i should check out?

I will be in a 4wd with a tent and my girlfriend. I have been wanting to do this trip for so long, now i'm planning it - so much to do & see, i dont want to miss anything. haha...

never planned a trip this long....

any help or puch in the right direction would apprecitated.

cheers,
rich
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kimberleybloke - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 19:29

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 19:29
Rich,what time of the year are you planning to travel?
Here is a good website for the part of the country I live in.Not to be missed if your timing is ok.Have a great trip.http://www.gibbriverroad.net
AnswerID: 404340

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 19:31

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 19:31
Rich - bit confused by your destination. Gearldton? Gearlton? Can't find either. Is it Geraldton on the WA coast???

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 404341

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 20:33

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 20:33
Have you had a look around this site - there is a heap of info on here in Places, Treks and Blogs (blue buttons above your post). Try to fit some of the Pilbara into your trip - the mines, and Karajini NP are "must see".

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674036

Reply By: Member - Allan K (NT) - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 19:49

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 19:49
Hi Rich,
Plenty of info here http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com, covers top end through to the Kimberley's.
It's going to be an ambitious trip to cover all that territory in 50 days. Good trip though.
AnswerID: 404343

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 20:08

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 20:08
Easy!!!
Katherine - Gregory NP - Kunnunnurra - Gibb River Road (inc Mitchell Plateau) - Derby - Cape Leveque - Broome - Barn Hill / 80 Mile Beach / Pt Gregory etc- Point Samson - Dampier - Exmouth (inc Ningaloo + Coral Bay) - Kalbarri - Geraldton.
My only qusetion is why Geraldton????

It would be a great trip and heaps of time to do it

Drew
AnswerID: 404347

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 20:29

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 20:29
Hey Drew.... because it's there... why else would he go.... lol... (:
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 674033

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 20:29

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 20:29
Hi Rich

My two priorities would be the Gibb River Road and Karajini NP. In Kununurra take the Triple J boat ride up the Ord (Lake Kununurra) to Argyle Dam. They give you heaps of information along the way too, and you can return by boat or bus. If you can, spend a couple of days at Purnululu. It is not too far to back track to get onto the Gibb River Road, and the drive there along the highway is lovely; we went from Kununurra as we left our caravan there. You can read my Blogs on the Gibb River Road and surrounds in the My Blog section; in fact you will probably find a dozen or so different people's perspective which will be good research.

As you are tenting, you can be flexible. Put everything that interests you on your list, then see how your time goes and prune of that which interests you the least. We often find out about the best places from others while we are on the road.

Depending on time, you can deviate from the Highway south of Sandfire Road House onto the Boreline Road (past the former Shay Gap) which is a lovely dirt road drive to Marble Bar. After seeing Marble Bar including a tour at the old Comet gold mine, return to the highway just north of Port Hedland.

You can head to Karajini on the Wittenoom Road just north of Roebourne which takes you through the scenic Chichester and not far to go to the very different Millstream NP. On nearing Karajini, turn south to Hammersley Gorge and then into the main part of Karajini, taking a least two days to see the gorges. The go back to the highway via Tom Price and a very scenic drive through some of the highest hills in WA. You meet the coastal highway at Nanutarra.

The Ningaloo coast from Exmouth is wonderful; like a pristine Great Barrier Reef right by the shore line.Check conditions if you can cross Yardie Creek, otherwise back track to Exmouth.

At Shark Bay, the shell buildings in Denham are worth seeing and the nearby shell beaches. Dolphins at Monkey Mia. Stromatalites. Old Telegraph station ant Hamelin Pool.

To the north of Geraldton, Kalbarri is lovely. River gorges and coastal cliffs. You can go along the coast from Kalbarri to Port Gregory and Horrocks Beach, then Northampton and on to Geraldton.

Lots more along the way than this, but they would be a few highlights i would choose.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 404349

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 23:27

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 23:27
Hi Rich

The Motherhen agenda about sums it up, so many choices but all worth inclusion.

Do yourself a favour when going through Kununurra - take time for a day trip along the Ord River into Wyndham to visit the 'Five rivers Lookout' atop 'the Bastion'. It overlooks the old townsite and the port of Wyndham and what remains of the old meatworks. The view is spectacular, particularly late afternoon & sunset.
The trek along the old road along the river is interesting, especially if crossing the 'Ivanhoe Crossing' of the Ord. It provides a comparison with the upper Ord which has been controlled for over 40 years. the lower side runs down into the Cambridge Gulf which is the main panorama from the Lookout.

Beware though - don't be tempted to go for a dip in the river along the way, the crocs are numerous and predominantly the dangerous salt-water species.

The return trip on the bitumen is a bit quicker and shouldn't present problems after sunset.

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 404378

Follow Up By: The Boss - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 23:47

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 23:47
Cool rig pic mate, i'd recognise that hill no matter which way i looked at it.
You would have just about been in the water taking that shot i gather.
FollowupID: 674066

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 23:59

Monday, Feb 15, 2010 at 23:59
Antons Landing from memory, but last year visit - Straight down to the OLD jetty from the town pub.... Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 674068

Follow Up By: Member -Tukka (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 16:38

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 16:38
Right where they are putting the new 127 meter long fishing jetty
FollowupID: 674261

Reply By: rich333 - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 12:51

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 12:51
thanks for the help. those sites are handy

i've got some HEMA maps and have started making lists. Just a couple of quick questions....

is there fuel at Kalumburu?

whats the food supplies like, can you buy meat/veg on the gibb river road? or do you have to be fully stocked at Wyndam? Food & Diesel are my main concerns

is ice avalible at all the fuel stops? - Have to take a bloody esky. what i would give for an engel (maybe next trip when i'm older - & wealthier) - also, i'mthinking of geting a food dehydrator (anyone tried this)

- Geralton. well, i figure i'll prob do a trip to Perth & sourrounds & SA coast later on , but chances of me having the time and money to see north WA are unlikley for long while.... so I've got a week to get to Melb from Geralton which should be fine, and i want to conerntrate most of the time north of there

i'm leaving mid July
AnswerID: 404413

Reply By: wendys - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 15:09

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 15:09
You should be able to get fuel at Drysdale River station, Kalumburu, Mt Barnett, Imintji Store. The last 3 all have some supplies of staples and frozen goods, but whether you will luck it for fresh stuff will depend on whether you coincide with the supply barge at Kalumburu, or supply runs on the Gibb. The store at Kalumburu supplies the small town there, so that will give you a bit of an idea of what you might be able to get.
As in most remote areas, you will find that fuel and supplies in those places are not cheap!
AnswerID: 404426

Reply By: rich333 - Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:55

Friday, Feb 19, 2010 at 12:55
thats for the responses everyone.....

now i'm looking at getting a gps - i've done a heap of searching but am struggleing to figure it all out.

i'm looking at magellan triton 500 - is this compatible with all the maps available? ie HEMA, oztopo, etc?

also what would be a good gps map to buy for this trip? i'm hoping to go to the more remote areas on the trip.

is the triton 500 any good? i dont need any fancy features, a color screen, custom map loading compatibility and to keep a record of the route i've taken is what i need
AnswerID: 404920

Sponsored Links