GU 3lt problem

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 00:23
ThreadID: 7605 Views:1674 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all was hoping someone could shed some light on a problem that we are having with our 3lt Patrol. We did a trip in June to the NT and through the Kimberlys, on the second day of our trip the engine light came on and according to the manual it was either water in the diesel or a minor engine problem. We had it looked at in Alice Springs they said that the fuel filter was blocked up so we had it replaced, we figured that was the end to our problems. The rest of the trip the vehicle did not seem to have full power i thought i was imagining it but since we have got home we have noticed it slowly getting worse and then on Wednesday my wife rang me to tell me that the engine light had come on again. We have also noticed that when you take off from a standing start even if you plant your foot to the floor there is no power untill you hit about 40kmh which is very unnerving if you are pulling out of somewhere into traffic. We took it to Nissan on Friday they had it all day and not only did they not fix the problem but they have made it worse, they told me they replaced a sensor and the valve that is in the intake line from the air filter but they could not fix the problem and do not know what it is so it has to go back in on Monday so they can try again, in the meantime we are driving a car that is very underpowered and is chewing through the diesel we are only geting 650km out of a tank compared to the 950km we normally get. I hope someone can help as we are getting very frustrated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boxa - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 08:02

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 08:02
Hi Martin,
That exact same problem happened to me and my 3ltr GU just this past week. The engine malfunction light came on and stayed on. I drained the filter but still the light remained on. Upon looking over the car again I noticed the battery terminal was loose and arcing itself off so I tightened it off and the malfunction light has not been on again. I did notice the wagon was slower from a stand still so I have also just had fitted a 2.5inch hi flow turbo system exhaust straight through muffler. Massive difference, it lunges into every gear now. I still have the around 850-900km per tank, big tyres, fridges, winch.... I cant complain.

Happy trails,
Box
AnswerID: 32800

Follow Up By: Mick - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 13:44

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 13:44
Our 3Ltr has the same problem, nissan deleted the fault codes in the computer or something similar and said it should be ok, but the power hasnt come back. Some people say to change the computer completely, or temporarily swap with a mates. We havent tried this yet.
The engine light comes on every now and then, and the fuel filter has to be changed to fix it, but no water or gunk is present.
Let us know if you find any problem and how to fix it.
My email is christie_eng@optusnet.com.au
FollowupID: 23460

Reply By: Mike - Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 23:54

Sunday, Oct 05, 2003 at 23:54
Martin, when I began to read your post I thought for a while that I was reading a post that I saw a couple of months ago, until I got to the bit where Nissan had still not figured it out. The end result of that post was a case of dirty fuel - and what I mean by dirty is that it had some kind of organism in it - and it wasn't Nissan who made the final diagnosis. The circumstances sound so familiar I suggest you do a search through past posts.
AnswerID: 32852

Follow Up By: Mike - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 01:19

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 01:19
Martin, this is the post I was talking about. I think it may be worth looking at.

On Sunday, July 06, 2003 at 15:54
Member - Martin posted about back from trip - (PostID: 5841)

Happy camping.
FollowupID: 23494

Follow Up By: Mike - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 01:27

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 01:27
Is this a joke or do Martin's and GU3's just go together well?
FollowupID: 23495

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 16:45

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 16:45
I had the lose of power in my 3.0ltr it was the air flow meter lucky it was warranty.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 32894

Reply By: chrisfrd - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 22:14

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 22:14
I've had exactly the same problem with my truck!

The fix for me was to leave the truck for about 45 minutes with the battery disconnected. Additionally, check to see if the airflow meter is connected correctly, (the airflow meter is the square-looking thing just after the air-cleaner) and that your fuel is clean.

I've only ever had one bad batch of fuel and hope to never have again. It took two filters out, plus I had to de-fuel and clean the tanks. Not to mention another $120 of fuel!

I've had a computer upgrade in mine, to sort out the loss of boost problem, plus a new turbo and a new intercooler pressure sensor. All in all the truck has never had a show-stopper, but it's reallybleeping awful how unreliable the engine is. The Rodeo V6 that I had, (with lockers and 3 inch lift), was MUCH more reliable than this. Probably about the same for fuel too!
AnswerID: 32931

Sponsored Links