Purchasing a caravan on consignment?

Just put a deposit on a van in a commercial caravan & boat yard which is on consignment. I have not purchased a van this way before.

I have a receipt with vin, rego etc details on it but wondering if I need anymore paperwork to finalise the deal? I also asked for and received a copy of the registration notice (with name & address blanked out). I am going to do a REVs check also tomorrow which I guess will show me the owners details.

VIN on van, rego papers & receipt all match up.

I know when I sold our van I had to supply drivers licence details, does this appear on the transfer of rego? Or do I perhaps need a copy of the consignment note from the yard?

Just trying to cross all the t's and dot all the i's in the deal.

Any advice would be helpful, will pick up the van this Thursday.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 21:07

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 21:07
Hi Jazzy,
Just a note, do a revs check in more than one state as they don't talk to each other re writeoff's etc. A vehicle of any type can be a stat writeoff in qld but you can re register it in NSW or VIC.

If in nsw you will need the signed original rego papers from the owners, qld it doesn't matter as you have a bit of qld transport paperwork for them and you to fill out, I don't know about other states.

A van stolen and rebirthed interstate could have matching papers, I also like to ask the police (in person) as the stolen register is Oz wide, Just give them the details but they will only be able to tell you if everything is ok and wether it is stolen they won't give you the owners details.

2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 404471

Reply By: Ianw - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 22:02

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 22:02
I believe that a van sold on consignment is a private sale between seller and buyer. The dealer is only there to connect the two. (and charge a commission.) There should be no reason for the name of the seller to be withheld. I would be asking for the name and phone number of the seller. I sold my previous van and purchased my current van this way and neither time was the names of the seller withheld from the buyer. If you are to transfer the rego you have to have the name of the previous owner.

AnswerID: 404484

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 23:19

Tuesday, Feb 16, 2010 at 23:19
Not correct: If the dealer is a licensed dealer then the sale is through him Not the consignor. Any come backs or title disputes come back to the dealer.
Quite often you can purchase a vehicle through a dealer and not even know it is on consignment. Or at lease that is the way it is in NSW.

If you go to the RTA. My RTA web page and do a vehicle search it will tell you if it has been a write off ect ( in any State). This sight is not the official RTA Records as they only list NSW vehicles.

If you are buying through a licensed dealer then he has to guarantee title to the vehicle. The only problem is if it is recorded as stolen then you may have to wait some considerable till the police finalize the matter before you will receive compensation from the seller.

Wayne B
FollowupID: 674173

Reply By: Member - aussichef (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 00:20

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 00:20
I bought a Roadstar Saphire from a caravan yard at Port Wakefield not quit 2 weeks ago & besides the rego papers & assorted other papers . They also gave me a copy of a police report to make sure the van wasn't stolen from any state or territory in Australia..I didn't ask weather this is just them or mandatory in SA
This i can assure you made me and the bride feel allot better with the amount of money we where spending $50k with the add ons i had done lol
warren aka aussichef
AnswerID: 404505

Follow Up By: DIO - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 08:58

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 08:58
I doubt if it would have been a Police Report. Such reports are made by Police when a crime is reported to them. Perhaps you are confusing it with a Vehicle Securities check. If any vehicle sold is still under mortgage etc then the buyer will have a real battle on their hands to get their money back. One of the pitfalls when buying privately.
FollowupID: 674203

Follow Up By: Member - aussichef (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:04

Wednesday, Feb 17, 2010 at 12:04
Its acually called a "Vehicle identity inspection report" & it say's on the form police computer check & signed by a member of the SA police it also has computer check & physical check collums all ticked off & signed again by a member of the police force
So some how i think its a police report but i could be wrong
warren aka aussichef
FollowupID: 674228

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)